What Are Good Parrot Names? 100 Name Ideas for Macaws and More
The Importance of Your Parrot's Name
We recently were given two parrots. As they live for 40+ years, it’s very important to choose the right name for your parrot. It is very difficult to change the name once the bird has gotten used to it! While parrots may seem reserved, they actually are full of character; therefore, picking a name that suits their idiosyncrasies is important.
While picking a cat’s name may be easy, a parrot is a totally different kettle of fish. You are naming a companion that will be with you for a long time, and it’s essential that not only does the bird respond to the name but that you also like the name.
This article provides an ‘A–Z’ list of parrot names as well as some tips on how to choose the best names for parrots.
Examples of How to Choose a Parrot’s Name
- Playful parrots: Some parrots are full of life and love to play with toys, boxes, insides of toilet rolls and sometimes your fingers. The playfulness can be reflected with names like Mojo or Quackers.
- Color names: Most parrots are colorful, and therefore the name can reflect their predominant color. Jade and Ginger are good names based on the color of the parrot.
- Character: The one thing you learn about parrots over time is that they have their own character. We have two parrots: One is pretty shy and demure, while the other is noisy and boisterous. Therefore, take some time to watch your birds and pick a name that captures the essence of their character. Good names include Frosty, Sparky, Isaac and Casper.
- Sound: Parrots love to make noise and will mimic many different sounds, ranging from speech to the sound a truck makes when it is backing up (our parrot constantly makes a beep beep beep sound!). Good names based on sound may be Ozzy (if you have a screamer like Ozzy Osborne!), Echo or Chirpie.
- Famous names: Of course, if you cannot work out what character your parrot has, you can use some of the names of famous parrots like Paulie, Snowball, Einstein and Polly.
Picking names for any parrot is difficult at the best of times. Sometimes it’s not obvious what character your bird has. Try reducing the list to about a dozen and then gradually remove names that don’t seem to fit over time.
With a little time to observe your parrot, you’ll soon come up with the perfect name.
My Personal Top 100 Names for Parrots:
A to N
O to Z
Eddie / Eddy
Amazingly, some parrots will outlive their owners and will be part of the estate. You should keep in mind that the parrot will keep their name even if their new owners try to change it, so picking a great name is important.
My advice is to go for a short and snappy name that will get the attention of the bird quickly and will be easily repeated by them.
Do you like parrots?
This article is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge. It is not meant to substitute for diagnosis, prognosis, treatment, prescription, or formal and individualized advice from a veterinary medical professional. Animals exhibiting signs and symptoms of distress should be seen by a veterinarian immediately.
Questions & Answers
Can you name parrots after musicians?
I don't see why not. As parrots often love music, you can often pick a name based on the music they like.Helpful 16