Cat Water Fountain Reviews, The Best Pet Drinking Fountains Available
My Research Findings
As a result my research into cat fountains for this article, I hope I will be able to demonstrate to you the benefits for both you and your cat of a cat drinking fountain and the type that is not only the most beneficial but also the easiest to clean and to maintain.
There are quite a few models on the market so I have broken down this article into two sections, benefits and features and then presented the products that are not only bestsellers but also have the highest star rating in customer reviews.
Here, we take a look at why you should consider getting a cat water fountain. I hope to persuade you on the basis of Veterinary recommendation, as I have read cat drinking fountain reviews that were just interested in selling - without explaining why (for example), ceramic or stainless steel pet fountains make a better choice for your cat (or dog).
Why Vets Recommend A Cat Drinking Water Fountain
You may think that a cat fountain, providing running water for your cat to drink sounds like a bit of a luxury. However, there are good reasons why vets recommend the provision of a constant supply of running water for your cat but at the same time, you need to know which features to look for and which to avoid.
Provide Running Water For Your Cat To Drink
Cats instinctively like to drink running water. This probably dates back to the time when cats were wild and had to fend for themselves. Running water is likely to be fresher and healthier than standing water and this love of running water is very likely to manifest itself in your cat trying to drink out of the faucet!
By providing running water, you are encouraging your cat to drink. Many cats nowadays eat a dry food diet and drinking plenty of water is vital for keeping him healthy, avoiding urinary tract infections, preventing kidney problems and generally making him feel better.
What Features Should I Look for in the Best Cat Water Fountains?
Look for a model made from Ceramic or Stainless Steel
- From my research, I would say that the plastic ones are best avoided. You should choose a ceramic or a stainless steel cat fountain.
- The reason for this is that plastic can easily become scratched and these scratches can harbour bacteria.
- Cats are very prone to a condition called feline acne which results from coming into contact with the bacteria that can lurk unseen in scratches on plastic water and feed bowls.
- This is an unpleasant and distressing condition for your cat and one which is going to land you a vet bill to get cleared up.
Choose a model with a quiet pump
Cats are easily frightened so the best water fountain for cats will have a very quiet pump that will not frighten your cat or discourage him from drinking.
Choose a low maintenance model
It goes without saying that you need to find a model that is very easy to maintain. There is no point getting something that needs to be taken apart every couple of days and cleaned out with brushes and all sorts of paraphernalia – you just want something that can be washed easily – and preferably popped in the dishwasher.
Why Do I Recommend the Pioneer Pet Fountain?
From my research into the features to look for, the model that best meet the criteria I have set out above is the 'Raindrop' design (as shown in the video above) - I like it best because:
- This Pioneer Pet Drinking Fountain is available in either or heavy duty ceramicstainless steel
- The flowing water encourages your cat to drink and avoids problems that can be caused by dehydration
- Because of the ceramic or stainless steel, the cat fountain is really hygienic and easy to clean so your cat will not get feline acne from unseen bacteria
- Has a large capacity so if you have more than one cat, there will still be adequate drinking water even if you are away from home all day
- The whole unit is very easy to clean once you have removed the pump unit which just sits on the base under the top section by means of suction cups. The ceramic parts (or the stainless steel if you have chosen this option) can easily be washed by hand and can be popped into the dishwasher if required.
The video below is a perfect demonstration of this model so I will just briefly highlight the features for you and you can watch the video to see the cat fountain in action and how easy it is to take apart to change the filter and to clean.
Filters are quick to fit and inexpensive
The Pioneer Pet fountain filters contain charcoal, ensuring that the water is always pure and clear for your cat. They are extremely quick and easy to change and are inexpensive when compared to some other brands. Buying them in triple packs of replacement filters like this pack, represents excellent value and ensures you will always have a 'spare' if needed.
Video Demontration of the Pioneer Pet Raindrop Design Cat Fountain
"The Pioneer Pet Raindrop Pet Fountain is sized reasonably, the water flows down the ramp and into the "still water" area, and is very quiet. Our cats drink from both the sill area as well as the top of the water flow. Our puppy loves to drink the water as it falls down the ramp."
"This is a great fountain. All four of our cats love it. We had been using a Drinkwell 360, but one of our cats developed severe chin acne so we had to restrict her access to plastic dishes."
"It's a beautiful design— All taken from reviews on Amazon.com
Tell Us What You Think
Tell Us About Your Cat's Drinking Habits
Is Your Cat Dehydrated?
The simple skin turgor test in the video above could potentially save your cat's life by helping you to recognize dehydration and take action promptly.
Further Reading on Cat Ailments Vets Recommend Water Fountains For
- Blue Cross - Health issues with the older cat
Blue Cross recommend the provision of a water fountain for older cats to encourage drinking and ensure that the water is always palatable.
- What To Do About Common Urinary Problems in Cats | petMD
Urinary problems are common in cats, they are often treatable. Learn how the litter box and other issues may be at play - and how encouraging your cat to drink more by providing a water fountain can help.
Did You Find Our Cat Water Fountain Review Helpful?
I hope you have enjoyed reading about the benefits of cat fountains for you and your cat and that you found it helpful to read about the features to look for if you are considering purchasing one.
The bottom line is, all cats love to drink running water and some cats need some persuasion to ensure they remain adequately hydrated, especially if they are on a dry food diet. Buying a suitable drinking water fountain for your cat is an expense, for sure, but it could save you money on Vet's bills in the long term and help to ensure your cat remains free of the health problems associated with dehydration such as kidney problems.