Great Names for a Calico Cat
Tinka the Calico or Tortoiseshell Cat
Calico Cats or Tortoiseshell Cats
Calico cats (sometimes called Tortoiseshell cats) are not a breed of cat as say ginger cats or Persian cats are. They are 'calico' cats because of their coloring. What defines 'calico' cats are their splendid orange, black and white splodge markings, (and their two X chromosomes instead of one).
This article has lists of special names for your really special calico cat, mostly female names - because they are almost always female (for those X and Y chromosome reasons) - and there are some original male names too. Calico cats ask to have names that no other cat has (or very, very few cats have!). Looking around the world and peeking at history I found the inspiration for great names for calico cats from the following list of 'ideas':
- Names from Egypt and around the Mediterranean where the calico cat is traced to have originated (where 'Tinka' still lives).
- Names of famous calico cats through time and literature.
- Pretty names because they are 'pretty'.
- Original names because they are quite special and the Japanese people consider them lucky (Maneki-neko).
- Names of cats that have gone down in the history of cats - that would make great names for a calico cat.
Baltimore Orioles Buck Showalter
Calico Cat Names
Names from Egyptian history:
- Ta Miu - She was so revered that her owner Crown Prince Thutmose mummified and buried her in a decorated sarcophagus after she died. (The Prince was a priest in ancient Memphis).
- Isis - Princess Isis because she was Prince Thutmose's sister. Why not call her Princess Isis? My mother always titles her pets. Her Westie for instance is called Lady Anges!
- Cleopatra - She was the last pharoh of Egypt 69 BC. The most beautiful queen.
- Selene - Cleopatra's daughter, so she must have been very beautiful too.
Calico Cat Kittens - Names
Your calico cat is going to grow into quite a big cat - with a famously independent personality and loving character. You might want to give her a name that's as important as the following calico cats, which have gone down in international history:
- Maryland - The Baltimore Orioles of Maryland wear the colors of a calico cat (black orange and white).
- Selima - Belonged to Earl Horace Walpole and inspired the poem by Thomas Gray (1748) "Ode on the Death of a Favorite Cat Drowned in a Tub of Goldfishes" because, very sadly, she drowned - in a goldfish bowl!
- Tama - Is the station master (and calico cat) at a Japanese railroad station - Kinokawa, Wakayama.
- Delila - Freddie Murphy (Queen) paid tribute to this cat in his last album "Innuendo".
- Marzipan - Lives in the Astor Theatre in Melbourne and enjoys being petted by patrons as she watches movies - or waits for them in the lobby. She has her own facebook page.
Or you might like to give her a Japanese sounding name since the Japanese consider a calico cat lucky. The sound of the following names are sort of Japanese sounding and cat-cute, accent and all!
- Jápana - from Japan (pronounced also Ya Pa Na)
- Kôh-lina - means "Good Luck" in Japanese
- Manéki - (Neko) - is a Japanese figurine that also means " Welcome"
I asked my eldest son what he would name a calico cat, since all his life he has called his pets by the most endearing and unusual names - his guinea pig was Sgwench for instance and his dog was Lello. These are the names that he came up with, which are worth a serious mention because they're so remarkably odd - but cute.
- Lu Lu
- Piga Pigu
Tortoiseshell Male Cat Names
If you have a male calico or tortoiseshell cat or kittens, these names are both original and full of personality!
- Lord Lem
Cat names from the Meditteranean
Since a calico cat's history takes her back to the warm coasts of the Mediterranean (where Tinka and I live) here are a few really pretty European names:
And a few Mediterranean names for male calico kittens too:
I called my cat "Tinka" because when she turned up at my doorstep, forlorn and skinny, she was a thief and not much to look at.
"Tinka" came from the word Tinker, (from the old English children's poem:
Rich man, poor man,
Beggerman - thief!").
I fed her. We began to love each other and she became a loving, faithful, beautiful cat with a grand personality, massive pride, yet tender and sweet. When she was younger she was the best mice catcher in Italy. She stopped being a Tinker and became a special "Tinka".
My Cat Tinka - Calico
Calico Cats as Pets For Children
Do you Think That Calico Cats Make Great Pets For Children?
Other good Hubs aboout Names for Cats
Questions & Answers
What are creative names for female calico cats?
I think there are quite a few creative female calico cat names in my article, but how about Gertrude, Edmonia, Lavinia, Fede, Berthe?Helpful 4
© 2012 Penelope Hart