Great Ways to Make Your Cat Healthy and Happy
How many cats do you own?
The Happiness of Cats
For the most part cats are able to survive and live a life without having humans involved. But cats truly seem happy when in the company of humans. So it's up to us to make sure that our cats are happy being with us.
Also, this article is dedicated to the first two cats I ever had - Squeak and Terra. It gave me the opportunity to show them off and are the basis of this article.
This article will cover some great ways to make your cats happy:
The Basic Necessities
Beds and Cat Towers
Cat Playing in Bags
Food and Water
A Cat's Basic Needs
To start off with, you need to always ensure to provide the basic necessities to your cats so they are always content in their environment. While this may seem easy enough to do, you should take care in how you satisfy their basic necessities:
- Food - Providing dry and wet food for your cat is a good idea. Both foods provide benefits to your cat, and your cat will like having both. Wet food should be given once a day, while dry food can always be set out for your cat. If you see your cat gaining weight, then don't provide dry food all the time. If your cat is active this shouldn't be an issue. You can give them treats, and even "people" food once in awhile, but not too often. Cats love to eat what people eat.
- Water - You should leave water out for your cats at all times. Ensure you keep the dishes clean. They can get gross after awhile. Even though your cat may want it, don't give them milk. It can make them sick. Instead, use milk-like drinks offered in pet stores.
- Litter Box - If your cats are indoor cats, or if you want to offer an alternative to them, then ensure you keep a tidy litter box. It should be cleaned out 1-2 times a day, with the litter changed once every few months. Cat's don't like going in a dirty box, and it won't make them happy at all. Keep some air freshener close by!
Cat Fetching a Straw
Cat Playing with a Straw
Cat Enjoying a Pillow
Toys for Your Cat
Toys are a great way to entertain your cat and to keep them happy. Cats like to play to simulate that they are attacking and killing something. If you don't play with your cats, in time they get bored and will find other ways to entertain themselves which could be bad for your home. As long as I have had my cats, they don't get into things they aren't supposed to since I keep them entertained with various toys. There are a few types of toys to consider:
- Interactive Toys - These are toys that you use to play with your cat. It could be a stick with a string tied at the end of it, a jingling ball you toss, and so on. These are available in most stores. Cats love to interact with their owners, so this will keep your cats plenty happy.
- Non-interactive Toys - These kind of toys allow your cat to play even when you aren't around. Again, it could be a jingling ball, but can be a post with a spring that has a ball that they can bat at, or a device that has a spinning ball inside of it.
- Scratching Posts - While not much of a toy, it allows your cats to claw and scratch. When they are hyper, then tend to want to do this a lot. So give them something to claw other than your furniture.
- Catnip - This is something fun to give your cats to get them riled up. Cats love catnap. They sniff at it, roll in it, and eat it. They will go crazy over it. Just ensure you give some in moderation and don't overload them with it too much.
- Brushes - Your cats may consider a brush a toy, and may like the feel of it on their body. But it's also good to keep your cat groomed. Depending on your cat, you may have some that love it more than anything, or absolutely hate it.
- Free Toys - These are things found around your own house. String, straws, or a paper bag. Cats sometimes love the free things more than the things you pay for!
Cat Toys You Can Find in Your Own Home
Bag (Paper or Plastic)
Secluded Cat Bed
Cat Beds and Cat Towers
Cats are known for making anything their bed. Cats can practically sleep anywhere. But if you want them to avoid certain pieces of furniture, and be comfortable where they are sleeping, then you want to give them the best. So if you want to keep your cat happy, consider the following when determining where they should sleep:
- Cat Beds - Cat beds can be found almost anywhere, in all shapes and sizes. But just because you buy something for your cat it doesn't mean that they will want to use it. So you may have to try out a few beds before you find one your cat likes.
- Hiding Spots - When your cats are feeling sick they like to find a nice hiding spot so they can try to recover from it. Cats don't like to show when they are in pain, but they show it by hiding away. You can make your cat happy by giving them a place for this, recognizing that they are in pain, and taking them to the vet.
- Cat Towers - Cat towers are all purpose homes for your feline friends. They provide a place to play, scratch, and sleep. My cats have been at their happiest ever since I purchased a cat tower. Though, the dangers is that eventually they get torn apart, and you are always tempted to buy a bigger and nicer one for your cats. That isn't necessarily a bad thing. It allows you to enjoy your cats at play.
Cats Play Fighting
Companionship for Cats
Cats need companionship. They don't express it like a person or dog would, but they do need it. There are three types of companionship you can provide for your cats to keep them happy:
- Human - Companionship with a person is usually wanted by a cat. They respond when you come home after a long absence and immediately want attention. Not all cats want this kind of attention. Of my two cats, one craves attention, while the other doesn't want attention that much. So keep that in mind.
- Other Cats - For the most part having a household with more than one cat is ideal. While a cat may be fine with living alone, their happiness grows when they have another cat in the same home. You have to introduce new cats to the household very carefully. They will sometimes get mad at one another, but soon after they will be licking each other on the face.
- Other Animals - Cats don't mind having other animals in the house either. Dogs, birds, ferrets, etc. Even if dogs and cats are natural enemies, those living under the same roof learn to like and in time love one another.