An animal lover, having raised and cared for over 35 cats both purebred and feral converts, as well as an AKC Breeder of Merit.
Artistic Names for Cats With Blue Eyes
These artists are known for their fascination with the color blue. From pale blues to greenish blues and cobalt blues, their works memorialize our fascination with this air and watercolor. The most famous of these blue-fascinated artists is Picasso with his "Blue Period" paintings. Name your cat with blue eyes after one of these great artists, if you want to celebrate your lithe kitty's inherently aesthetic qualities.
- Albers: Josef Albers is best known for his series Homage to the Square. In these works, blue is often juxtaposed against complementary colors within nested squares, ultimately exploring and stretching the boundaries of traditional color theory.
- Matisse: In French, the name Matisse is derived from Matias, meaning "Gift of God." Matisse's fascination with the color blue is seen in many of his works, which culminates in a series of "Blue Nudes."
- Mondrian: Piet Mondrian's oeuvre evolved from landscape paintings to abstract art in the form of rectangles and squares represented in primary colors, trimmed in black. Mondrian believed his paintings would create a new, international language derived from the flatness of form, use of primary colors, and the dynamic tension created by the composition of the geometric forms. Naturally the powerful cobalt blue squares "pop" from his paintings.
- Monet: His massive paintings of water lilies create a soothing, watery world within the Musee de L'Orangerie Tuileries. Within two oval rooms, Monet's paintings, each two meters tall, span an impressive 91 meters in length, forming an infinity symbol. Name your cat Monet if you are seeking a tranquil companion to relax with you.
- Picasso: His Blue Period lasted from 1900 to 1904. This body of work is composed of monochromatic paintings in shades of blue and blue-green.
- Rothko: Mark Rothko refused to paint representational art. Instead, he painted vast, vibrant fields of color, untitled works that were merely numbered. Many of Rothko's works explored the relationship of blue to these contrasts of blue on blue, blue and rust, blue and green as well as blue, orange, and red.
- Van Gogh: Some of Van Gogh's most famous works celebrate the deep blues seen in his works such as Irises, Starry Night and Water Lilies.
- Yves Klein: French artist, Yves Klein, was a performance artist as well as painter and sculptor whose signature electric blue was registered with the Institut National de la Propriété Industrielle as International Klein Blue (IKB). Klein famously used nude models, smeared with his blue paint, as his paintbrushes in his Anthropometries series. Sliding them across canvases on the floor before an audience, Klein created works of art, while maintaining pure cleanliness for himself, as he noted, "In this way, I stayed clean. I no longer dirtied myself with color, not even the tips of my fingers." Klein's performances that made up the Anthropometries series, included blue cocktails for the audience and featured the Monotone Symphony, which was comprised of a single note played for twenty minutes, followed by twenty minutes of silence. Klein means "small" in German and makes a cute name for a small cat with blue eyes.
Names for Cats With Blue Eyes from Blues Artists
- B.B. King
- Big Maybelle
- Billie Holiday a.k.a Lady Day
- Bobby Bland
- Buddy Guy
- Bo Diddley
- Bukka White
- Ella Fitzgerald
- Etta James
- Houston Stackhouse
- Ida Cox
- John Lee Hooker
- Johnny Ace
- Joplin Janis and Scott Joplin (Ragtime composer)
- KoKo Taylor
- Lightnin' Hopkins
- Little Walter
- Magic Sam
- Mamie Smith
- Memphis Minnie
- Muddy Waters
- Ma Rainey
- Nappy Brown
- Peatie Wheatstraw
- Roscoe Gordon
- Sippie Wallace
- Skip James
- Steely Dan
- Taj Mahal
- Tampa Red
- T-Bone Walker
- Winter: Edgar and Johnny Winter
Names of Celebrities With Blue Eyes
While Frank Sinatra, aka "Ol Blue Eyes", is the performer best known for having blue eyes, these other artists have built careers around their cool blue gazes. Consider one of these handsome blue-eyed actors or actresses names for your cat, if he or she is worthy of a big-screen moniker. In many instances, both the first and the last name of these greats make a cute call name for your kitty companion.
35 Famous Blue Eyed Male Actors
- Bowie: David Bowie
- Burton: Richard Burton
- Brando: Marlon Brando
- Cagney: James Cagney
- Cooper: Gary Cooper
- Curtis: Tony Curtis
- Dean: James Dean
- Derek: John Derek
- Grant: Hugh Grant
- Fonda: Henry Fonda
- Harmon: Mark Harmon
- Heston: Charlton Heston aka Ben Hur
- Hopkins: Anthony Hopkins
- Hunter: Tab Hunter
- Hunter: Jeffrey Hunter, Captain Pike Starship Enterprise.
- Jude: Jude Law
- Justin Timberlake
- Kirk: Captain Kirk or Father of Michael Douglas, Kirk Douglas.
- Lancaster: Burt Lancaster
- Leo: Leonardo DiCaprio
- Leto: Jared Leto
- Lewis: Daniel Day-Lewis
- Lowe: Rob Lowe
- Marvin: Lee Marvin aka Liberty Valance
- McQueen: Steve McQueen, every man's man.
- Neeson: Liam Neeson
- Newman: Paul Newman
- O'Toole: Peter O'Toole aka Lawrence of Arabia.
- Pitt: Brad Pitt
- Plummer: Christopher Plummer, Sound of Music.
- Randolph: Randolph Scott
- Reeves: Steve Reeves, bodybuilder and Hercules.
- Shatner: William Shatner
- Sheen: Martin Sheen
- Sinatra: Frank Sinatra
- Walken: Christopher Walken
- Walker: Clint Walker
- Wilder: Gene Wilder
35 Female Actors With Blue Eyes
- Andrews: Julie Andrews
- Bacall: Lauren Bacall
- Bergman: Ingrid Bergman
- Blanchett: Cate Blanchett
- Caron: Leslie Caron
- Carter: Linda Carter aka Wonder Woman.
- Cyrus: Miley Cyrus
- Danes: Claire Danes
- Davis: Bette Davis
- Dench: Dame Judi Dench
- Derek: Bo Derek, 10
- Diaz: Cameron Diaz
- Dietrich: Marlene Dietrich
- Fanning: Dakota Fanning
- Hadid: Gigi Hadid
- Hedren: Tippi Hedren
- Hemingway: Margaux and Mariel Hemingway
- Holliday: Judy Holliday
- Johansson: Scarlett Johansson
- Jolie: Angelina Jolie
- Kelly: Grace Kelly
- Kidman: Nicole Kidman
- Kunis: Mila Kunis
- Lake: Veronica Lake
- Lamarr: Hedy Lamarr
- Leigh: Vivian Leigh aka Scarlett O'Hara
- Lombard: Carole Lombard
- Lucy: Lucille Ball
- Margret: Ann Margret
- Novak: Kim Novak
- Perry: Katy Perry, her cat is named Katty Purry.
- Streisand: Barbra Streisand
- Swift: Taylor Swift
- Taylor: Elizabeth Taylor
- Turner: Lana Turner
- Theron: Charlize Theron
- Williams: Vanessa Williams
- Witherspoon: Reese Witherspoon
Names for Cats From Words That Mean Blue
- Aqua: A marine blue.
- Azul: Galician, word for blue.
- Azure: The color of a clear blue sky.
- Baby: A shade of pale blue.
- Bleu: French, means blue.
- Capri: An island in Italy and the color of a deeper sky blue than azure.
- Carolina: Tarheel blue.
- Celeste: A pale blue-green shade.
- Ceylon: Ceylon blue is the purest blue color of the highest quality sapphire, mined in Sri Lanka.
- Cobalt: Deep, bold blue often found in antique glass. The color is derived from the cobalt chemical element.
- Cyan: A greenish-blue, the primary color used in printers to create blue tones.
- Electric: The shade of the room in which David Bowie shall live.
- Ice: Pale blue shade.
- Indigo: A pale blue flower common to North America.
- Kashmir: The finest sapphires in the world were once mined in the Kashmir region of India. No longer available to modern trade, these magnificent gemstones can only be found in today's antique jewelry.
- Maya: Shade of pale blue.
- Mizu: Japanese, Word for blue.
- Navy: A deep blackish blue.
- Powder: A light shade of blue. Name your cat Powder and you can call him Pow Pow!
- Robin: Robin's egg blue.
- Sapphire: Gemstone that represents good fortune wisdom and virtue. Often the sapphire is used in an amulet, such as the evil eye, to ward off evil.
- Siniy: Russian, means blue.
- Skye: Sky blue is a lighter shade of blue than azure. It is closer to the hot, midday sky of late summer.
- Teal: A type of bird and blue-green shade of blue.
- Topaz: The symbol of love and affection, the light blue topaz is referred to as London, while the deeper colored stone is the Hampton blue gem. Name your cat Topaz if you want a gentle, loyal companion.
- Tiffany: The robin's egg blue little box tied with a white satin ribbon.
- Yale: Shade of medium gray-blue used by Yale University for their colors.
- Zaffre: A deep blue pigment generated by the roasting of cobalt ore.
Cat Names From Famous Blue Gemstones
- Belle: The Blue Belle of Asia is a massive sapphire weighing 392.52 carats.
- Giant: The Blue Giant of the Orient is the largest sapphire in the world at 486 carats and two inches across at its widest point.
- Hope: Perhaps the most famous gemstone in the world, the Hope diamond is a blue diamond believed to carry a curse to its owners.
- Josephine: Not to be confused with the sapphire given to Empress Josephine by Napoleon, the Blue Moon of Josephine is a blue diamond that was purchased by Hong Kong billionaire, Joseph Lau, for his youngest daughter Josephine. Josephine was seven years old at the time of its acquisition.
- Logan: The Logan Blue Sapphire is a massive gemstone at 423 carats, set in silver and gold, surrounded by 12 diamonds as a broach. It currently resides in the Smithsonian.
- Middleton: This famous sapphire was first the engagement ring of Princess Diana, and now graces the hand of Princess Kate Middleton.
- Okavango: This blue diamond was the largest unearthed at a whopping 41.11 carats. After cutting and polishing the Okavango still weighs in at an impressive 20.46 carats.
- Oppenheimer: This blue diamond recently sold in 2016 as the most expensive diamond ever sold at $58 million.
- Rockefeller: This blue sapphire is internally flawless. It was purchased by John D. Rockefeller for his wife Abby. This flawless gemstone last sold for $3 million.
- Star: The Star of Bombay is a cabochon cut sapphire originally given to Mary Pickford by her husband, Douglas Fairbanks. Bombay Sapphire gin took its name from this famous blue gemstone. It currently resides in the Smithsonian.
- Stuart: One of the crown jewels, this sapphire is currently residing in the Tower of London.
- Sultan: The Sultan of Morocco is a blue diamond, originally in Russian possession and now residing in the possession of the Sultans of Morocco.
- Zoe: This blue diamond was recently purchased and named by Hong Kong billionaire, Joseph Lau, for his 12-year-old daughter Zoe. The purchase started an international fascination with blue diamonds, making them the most desirable of the colored stones.
You May Also Like:
- 95 Names for Cats With Big Eyes
Find your big-eyed kitty's name inspiration here. Meaningful names for cats with large eyes from the cosmos, Hollywood, Rock-n-roll, the animal kingdom, cartoons and Anime.
- 80+ Fabulous and Majestic Female Cat Names
Here are 88 majestic names for cats from fabulous fashion, film, fiction and stage that celebrate cats’ beauty and style and the mystery of their enigmatic gaze.
- 150 Mysterious Names for Cats
Over 150 mysterious names for cats. From the cryptic to the occult, these cute and curious cat names are inspired by mysteries great and small.
© 2020 Barbara Fitzgerald
Barbara Fitzgerald (author) from Georgia on October 21, 2020:
Hi Liz: Thanks for visiting! Yes, I love the artist names for kitties as well as blues artists names like Leadbelly for a fat cat and Nappy Brown for a little napster.
Liz Westwood from UK on October 20, 2020:
These really are unique. I especially liked the idea of naming cats after famous artists.
Barbara Fitzgerald (author) from Georgia on October 20, 2020:
Hi Brenda: Topaz made the name list, so you and your new kitty will be all good! I think I might go with Matisse myself!
BRENDA ARLEDGE from Washington Court House on October 20, 2020:
I must say this was not what I expected. I thought it would just be cute names but the added flare for artistic names like Picasso and other ones like Blues artists are unique.
I still would probably go with something like Topaz.
Thanks for the read.