What Are Good Female Cat Names?
The female cat is perhaps one of the hardest to name as they have a variety of characteristics. Many are mothers so their temperament can be both gentle but also firm when needed. Their desire to look after their kittens remains even when these kittens are ten years old or more.
It is easy to use generic names like Tabitha or Pussy, but it’s always better to take a little time when the female cat is young and observe her to see if she has any idiosyncrasies that can be used when naming her.
If she’s motherly, then Ma Ma is often a good name. As you begin to learn about your feline friend she will demonstrate what her name is through the way she lives and the actions she does—eventually you’ll find the best name for your kitty.
My Female Cat
Many years ago one of our cats disappeared. After a month of searching we gave up hope and went to the local zoo to get a new cat. We found a perfect little pure black kitten and brought her home. She had a poise and elegance that was incredible and the name Ebony not only spoke of her color but also of her perceived quality. The orange tabby cat that disappeared, returned several months later.
Examples of How to Choose a Female Cat Name
- Evasive or elusive cats: Do you have a female cat that loves to hide, or has a way of sneaking around unobserved. Great names for sneaky cats can include Shadow or Casperina; you can even use names of famous sneaky cats like Mrs. Norris from the Harry Potter Series.
- Evil and playful cats: Your furry friend may be playful or plain evil. Great names could be Xena or Elvira.
- Royal: Have you noticed how some cats have aloofness about them almost as if we are their subjects? This royal characteristic can lead to great names like Queeny or Duchess.
- Colorful names: While often naming a cat after a color doesn’t really say much about their character, some colorful names have an elegance. Names like Ebony or Sapphire speak volumes about the class of your kitty.
- Mystical names: Some cats seem to have a sixth sense and simply know what you are thinking all of the time; they’ll glance your way with a knowing look and speak volumes without the slightest meow. This quality leads to names like Mystique or Sabrina.
Picking names for any cat is not easy, especially for a cat whose character can change depending on if they are in mommy mode or not. Pick twenty names that may fit and then slowly narrow them down until you find the perfect name.
My Personal Top 100 Names for Female Cats
Feel free to leave additional ideas in the comments section below.
- Mrs. Norris
- Pickles Puss
- Jelly Baby
More by this Author
Having problems naming your black cat? Take a look at some ideas on how to find black cat names and see my personal top 100 names.
White cats are often loved for their pureness typifying a deep and innocent beauty; they often are associated with spiritual feelings and often have a calming effect on their owners. There are several species of cats...
Picking an name for an orange cat isn't easy - hopefully this article will give you some good ideas.