Simon has two cats with unique names. He's happy to share his tips so others can choose the best names for their cats and other pets.
The female cat is perhaps one of the hardest to name as they have a variety of characteristics. Many are mothers so their temperament can be both gentle but also firm when needed. Their desire to look after their kittens remains even when these kittens are ten years old or more.
It is easy to use generic names like Tabitha or Pussy, but it’s always better to take a little time when the female cat is young and observe her to see if she has any idiosyncrasies that can be used when naming her.
If she’s motherly, then Ma Ma is often a good name. As you begin to learn about your feline friend she will demonstrate what her name is through the way she lives and the actions she does—eventually you’ll find the best name for your kitty.
My Female Cat
Many years ago one of our cats disappeared. After a month of searching we gave up hope and went to the local zoo to get a new cat. We found a perfect little pure black kitten and brought her home. She had a poise and elegance that was incredible and the name Ebony not only spoke of her color but also of her perceived quality. The orange tabby cat that disappeared, returned several months later.
Examples of How to Choose a Female Cat Name
- Evasive or elusive cats: Do you have a female cat that loves to hide, or has a way of sneaking around unobserved. Great names for sneaky cats can include Shadow or Casperina; you can even use names of famous sneaky cats like Mrs. Norris from the Harry Potter Series.
- Evil and playful cats: Your furry friend may be playful or plain evil. Great names could be Xena or Elvira.
- Royal: Have you noticed how some cats have aloofness about them almost as if we are their subjects? This royal characteristic can lead to great names like Queeny or Duchess.
- Colorful names: While often naming a cat after a color doesn’t really say much about their character, some colorful names have an elegance. Names like Ebony or Sapphire speak volumes about the class of your kitty.
- Mystical names: Some cats seem to have a sixth sense and simply know what you are thinking all of the time; they’ll glance your way with a knowing look and speak volumes without the slightest meow. This quality leads to names like Mystique or Sabrina.
Picking names for any cat is not easy, especially for a cat whose character can change depending on if they are in mommy mode or not. Pick twenty names that may fit and then slowly narrow them down until you find the perfect name.
My Personal Top 100 Names for Female Cats
Feel free to leave additional ideas in the comments section below.
- Jelly Baby
- Mrs. Norris
- Pickles Puss
Coren on April 28, 2020:
pls put Silverstream on this
Sophie on August 21, 2019:
Name on March 02, 2019:
Liz on May 20, 2017:
Tiger of the Shadows on July 24, 2016:
Shadowa, Mysteré, Lena Beth, Honeyfern, Desari are good names
RbcaA on April 04, 2013:
Squash is a very cute name for a girl or boy cat.
catgirl on October 06, 2012:
We're naming a new tabby that has lots of bright orange striping over the tabby brown - Brandy, Whiskey, Cider, Chessie, Red, Copper, Ferris (ferrous = iron), - probably going with Ginger for a girl- just fits.
Also thought of Misty Mae- Olympic Vball champ!
carozy from San Francisco on September 28, 2012:
I love thinking up female cat names. There are a lot of cute options out there.
Russell-D from Southern Ca. on August 30, 2012:
Our 14 year old cat is CAT. You can give her any less than 2 syllable girl's name. Name repetition is what matters. The cat often pretends she doesn't care. Often, she really doesn't. But when she stretches and goes to sleep on your lap, you realize she does. For Kids, read my "The Cat Who Thought She Was A Dog" at www.booksbyallmeans.com, Amazon or Barnes & Noble ECATalog. David Russell