Simon has two cats with unique names. He's happy to share his tips so others can choose the best names for their cats and other pets.
Choosing a Name for a Male Cat
The male cat of any breed likes to think that he is the ruler of the house, and perhaps the neighborhood. His tough outer visage often hides the cute and cuddly undertones he shows when alone with his owners.
While it’s easy to name a cat Puss, Tabby, or some other nondescript name, you should take time and observe his behavior before naming him. Is he a warrior or a fighter? Then something like Scrapper or Ali will be great.
As you begin to get to know your feline friend, he will demonstrate through his actions what his character is. This will make it easier for you to come up with the best name for him.
Examples of How to Choose a Male Cat Name
- Evasive or Elusive cats: If your cat is elusive and always seems to have a secret, then a suitable name may be Shadow or Casper; more subtle names can be derived from famous cats. As an example, I have a great tabby cat that has these characteristics – as my family loves Harry Potter, we decided to call our male cat Mr. Norris, based on the Mrs. Norris from the Harry Potter novels.
- Evil and Playful cats: Sometimes a cat seems so mischievous as they love to play with anything they can find, or they creep up on other animals. Such male cats can have fun names like Joker or Devil.
- Colorful Names: Tabby cats come in all varieties of colors. Therefore, naming a cat for its coat is often popular even though it doesn’t really embody the character. Names like Blackie or Whitey are often used.
- Mystical Names: Have you noticed how some cats can look at you and somehow speak volumes without even the slightest meow? This mystical quality is often prevalent in male cats and therefore names such as Mage, Mystic, or Wicca are fun.
Pick names for cats is not an easy process and can take time. Make a list of your 20 favorite names and then observe your male cat for a few days. Over time, you will be able to narrow down the list until you find the right fit for your cat.
My Male Cat Names
As noted above, I have one male tabby cat named Mr. Norris. The other cat is more fun and simply is always in trouble, therefore, the name Spanky fits him perfectly.
We used to have a wonderful male black and white cat; he was initially called Checkers because of his color, but my wife could never remember that so she simply called him Fred. The name stuck.
My Personal Top 100 Names for Male Cats
Here's a list of my favorite names for male cats. Feel free to leave additional ideas in the comments section below.
Read More From Pethelpful
- Mr. Norris
- Saber Tooth
- What Are Good Female Cat Names?
- What Are Good White Cat Names?
- What Are Good Orange Cat Names?
- What Are Good Black Cat Names?
Questions & Answers
Question: Is Chase a good cat name?
Answer: I like the name Chase - it gives a little bit of information about the cat - perhaps he likes to chase mice?!
MYA on July 28, 2020:
I think I got it I pick Nico
MYA on July 22, 2020:
I'm Looking for a good orange cat name I think I got some really good ideas: Nico,Dorito,Lucky and Ringo but that's my BFF's cats name can you think of a unique name for our orange cat please.
MJ on July 14, 2020:
When I get my female cat I'm going to name her Prudence. Because I'm a BIG fan of the Beatles! Lol.Of course Lucy, Rita and Michelle are cool too.
Mr. Maxx. Or Maximillion, Maxwell on July 15, 2019:
Our tuxedo cat has many names depending on how he is behaving. His given name is Maxx Q.
wareen fatima on July 11, 2019:
thx so much ill call my cat zorro oreo thx bye
Wilson on June 11, 2018:
The volleyball from castaway... Or Wison Picket.... Mr. Wison...... Flip Wison.... My fav catcher of all time Dan Wison (I had an Edgar Martinez) and my fav QB Russel Wilson
Emily on November 26, 2017:
Henry - an boy cat name, Teagan - A girl cat name, and Ember - a girl cat name.
Mandie123 on August 10, 2015:
Cookie and Peaches are good cat names.
Tricia M on January 22, 2013:
Ann1Az2 from Orange, Texas on September 04, 2012:
One of my male cats (I have three) was named at the vet's office quite by accident. The technician picked him up (he was only about 5 weeks old) and he clung to her shirt and wouldn't let go - she said, oh, Velcro kitty! He's been named Velcro ever since. And it still fits! Sometimes when I pick him up, he clings to the carpet.
Well done and voted up.
Tom Vogler from The Shenandoah Valley on August 23, 2012:
2 of my nieces named my cat Pops, because when he was born, his face was very wrinkled, like that of a very old man. I got him when he was 2 months old and he is 8 years old now. I have always thought of my Pops as my baby boy though because to me he has that baby face look. Still, Pops is a cute name for him.
mcbel from New Hampshire on August 23, 2012:
Simon. Or something cool, like Tyrone or Gargoyle.