Top 100 Black Cat Names
Black cats can be of any breed or mix. They are often associated with witches, bad luck and in some cases good luck, so often when black cat names are given, they have a mystical feel. Other names are often derived from the word "black" in foreign languages—such as Ciara.
Most names on this list are not gender-specific, although there are a few black cat names that work for male cats such as Voldermort or Ciar (which is the male form of Ciara), and female black cat names like Elvira or Hera.
The color of a black cat can vary slightly, ranging from pure black to grey, with brown and "speckled" patterns. Pure black cats are often given names like Onyx or Ebony.
When picking names for cats, especially black ones you should try to take the character of the cat into account. While you can name your cat based on its color, you should try to decide on a name that fits. By observing the traits and mannerisms of your cat, you should be able to pick the right name.
Black Cats Folklore
- Familiars: In the middle ages the black cat was believed to be the familiar of a witch.
- Bad / Good Luck: Depending on your culture it is said that when a black cat crosses your path it is bad luck (U.S.) or good luck (U.K., Japan).
- Death: Often it is said that if a black cat sits on a sick person's bed signifies death.
- Money: Stroking a black cat ensures wealth.
How to Choose a Black Cat Name
- Evasive or Elusive Cats: if your cat is evasive, elusive and always seems to slink and hide a suitable name may be Shadow or Casper.
- Evil and Playful Cats: If your cat seems to be playful and perhaps a little evil then names like Bela or Elvira might be more suitable.
- Mystical Names: if your cat seems to know what you’re thinking and can speak volumes without making a sound then you should consider Mystique, Witchy or Wicca.
Note: Picking a name for your cat can be a difficult process. I suggest that you make a list of your top twenty names, observe your cat for a few days, and eliminate the ones that don’t fit—eventually, you’ll be able to narrow it down so you end up with the perfect black cat name.
Top 100 Names for a Black Cat:
Here's a list of my favorite names for black cats. Feel free to leave additional ideas in the comments section below.
- New Moon
- Bela (after Bela Lugosi)
- Black beauty
- Black Light (or Black Lite)
- Ciar (Male)
- Ciara (Female)
- Dark One
- Dark Knight
- Dark Raider
- Hocus Pocus
- Ink Well
My Black Cat
In early 2000, we went to the local "zoo" and obtained our black cat. We were very original (NOT) and named her Ebony—she is the mom to two of my other cats (Spanky and Mr. Norris).