I have many interests and an inability to make up my mind about which one to focus on. That's how I came up with my name: ControlledChaos1.
Black Cat Names Can Be Fun, Frivolous, Respectful or Dire - So Many Options
If you've recently gotten a black kitty cat and finding it hard to come up with a good name for it, this article may be of use. I don't know what it is about naming a black cat that makes us so perplexed. Perhaps, it's the color — there is so much fear and uncertainty associated with darkness. Then again, maybe it's the history of the black cat itself — there is so much rhetoric associated with witchcraft and bad luck. If we also take into consideration the nature of the cat, a sleek, beautiful assassin of small animals that somehow knows it is better than humans, then we have a unique animal that makes choosing a name quite a daunting task.
The names below will, hopefully, make the choice a little easier for you. I wish I had a list like this about 15 years ago when I first got my Clover, a Bombay cat that lived for almost 18 years. I named her within an hour and regretted the name after a few days, though it did eventually grow on me. Maybe that's the way it was supposed to be all along? Thanks for giving the article a chance and good luck on choosing a great name for a pet that will watch over your for years to come.
Cool and Creative Black Cat Names That Will Stand Out From the Rest
Nox (Harry Potter term meaning "lights out")
JC (Just Cat)
Mr. Good Stuff
BC (Black Cat)
Cherry (Chocolate Covered)
Behind the Curve
Blood on the Moon
Gethin (Welsh word meaning “dark”.)
Black Cats Rule!
I have felt cats rubbing their faces against mine and touching my cheek with claws carefully sheathed. These things, to me, are expressions of love.
— James Herriot
Tips for Coming Up With a Unique Name for Your Black Cat
- Most people only concentrate on one-word names. If this is your strategy, try looking into the history of the breed you own to come up with something more unique and unusual related to its role throughout its history. Many important and powerful people have owned felines.
- Two-word names will definitely give you something different from the norm, as most owners don't go in that direction. You can even shorten the two-word name into a one-word name if you want. You will still, more than likely, end up with something unique for your feline friend.
- Interacting with your new kitty should provide you with plenty of time to get some hints on a name. The way he or she acts may give you inspiration for a new moniker. For example, if your new pet is especially lazy, you could name them after a character like "The Dude" from The Big Lebowski.
- The most useful tip I ever got for coming up with creative pet names is to not choose too quickly. Take a few days and make a list of possibilities; don't worry if your list is more than one page. After sufficient time has passed, systematically go through your list and start crossing off names until you pick out your favorite ten. Now the choice must be made.
I believe cats to be spirits come to earth. A cat, I am sure, could walk on a cloud without coming through.
— Jules Verne
More Cool Names for Black Cats
Full Moon Rising
Gold Dust Woman
Of all God's creatures, there is only one that cannot be made slave of the lash. That one is the cat. If man could be crossed with the cat it would improve the man, but it would deteriorate the cat.
— Mark Twain
Words That Mean Black in Other Languages
Even More Unique, Unusual and Creative Black Cat Names
Some Famous Black Cats
- Binx from Hocus Pocus (a witch's best friend?).
- Cat from Coraline (The cat itself said it didn't have a name and didn't need one.).
- Felicia Hardy from the Spiderman comic.
- Felix the Cat.
- Isis from the Star Trek episode "Assignment: Earth".
- Lucifer from Cinderella.
- Pluto from "The Black Cat" by Edgar Allan Poe; you have guts if you name your new pet this, as anyone who read the story will testify to.
- Salem from Sabrina, the Teenage Witch.
- Scratchy from The Simpsons cartoon.
- Snowball II from The Simpsons.
- T'Challa is the black panther character from the Fantastic Four comics.
- Winky from Escape to Witch Mountain.
Recommended for You
Owners of dogs will have noticed that if you provide them with food, water, shelter and affection, they will think you are god. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that if you provide them with food, water, shelter and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are gods.
— Christopher Hitchens
A Different Kind of Black Cat
Black Cat Facts
- Owning a feline friend can lower the risk of heart attacks or strokes by a third.
- A group of cats is called a "clowder" (thought odds of hearing this term in public is quite unlikely.
- Ever wonder why cats get stuck up trees so much? It's because every claw on a cat points in the same direction. Because of this they can't climb down head first as easily as they went up; they can however back down if they so wish.
- Cats developed meows to communicate with humans. You hardly ever hear adult cats meowing to each other.
- Both humans and cats have similar areas in their brains that are responsible for emotions. Dogs do not. I wonder if that helps or hinders cats from being better pets? This might also explain why cats are harder to "handle" than other animals.
- Black cats are actually considered good luck in Australia and the U.K.
- Cats can hear about five times better than humans. Pay attention when they hear something.
- They are also natural hunters and have actually caused the extinction of many species of birds, mammals, and reptiles. Anyone who owns a kitty knows this is true as they will often bring you dead things as gifts.
© 2017 Don
Do You Have Any Name Suggestions?
Don (author) from Tennessee on January 12, 2019:
I agree! Anubis is a wonderful name for a black cat. I don't know how I overlooked it. Thank you for making such a valuable suggestion.
Anubis on January 11, 2019:
This should be obvious!
Oreo on November 23, 2018:
Oreo was a black and white Tuxedo cat. He was very loving and sweet as could be. That's why I named him Oreo.
Cole on May 16, 2018:
A play on the word "coal."
Kayleigh on November 04, 2017:
I love cats cause there so nice and loving
Michelle on July 23, 2017:
My 2 year old solid black Maine Coon is named Ozzy for Ozzy Osborne. He lives up to that name in many, many ways.
KleeRvly on June 16, 2017:
My solid black Maine coons name was coco. He passed away at the age of 17