How to Make a Cake for a Cat: Healthy Coconut Flour Recipe
Many people consider their pets to be a part of the family, therefore it is no surprise that some cat owners choose to celebrate the birthday (or adoption days) of their feline companion. Making a cake for your cat can be a fun way to add interest, variety and nutrition to your pet’s meal.
This quick and easy recipe uses coconut flour, which is highly nutritious flour derived from the byproduct of coconut oil formation. It is gluten-free, unlike wheat, rice, and other flours typically used for pet treat ingredients. Coconut oil is also a marvelously healthy alternative to other vegetable oils that is highly recommended for both pets and people. Pets love the taste of both.
- The Benefits of Cooking with Coconut Flour for Pets
Coconut flour hosts many nutritional benefits for pets and humans. It's perfect for homemade dog treats and more.
This recipe makes a small cake and calls for a small cake pan, but it can be altered to make larger sizes. Simple make enough dry mixture to combine with the wet mixture. You can even make a double or triple layer cake by using multiple pans.
Coconut flour and coconut oil are highly recommended because of their enhanced nutritive qualities and other benefits, but substitutes can be made here too. If another flour is used, more than 1/4 cup will probably be necessary.
- Coconut Oil for Pets: Numerous Benefits Dogs, Cats
The benefits of coconut oil aren't just for people. This highly useful substance has substantial nutritional support for animals including mammals, reptiles, and more.
Optional (sprinkle in the amount you want)
- Flax seed (ground)
- Chia seed
- Cheese ( grated or shredded, whichever your pet may prefer).
- Cat treats/ cat nip
- 1/4 Cup Coconut Flour
- 1/4 Cup Powdered Cat Food, Such as the honest kitchen brand 'Prowl'
- 1 Egg, Beaten
- 1/2 Tablespoon Coconut Oil
- Paté Cat food
Chia seeds: Contains fiber, antioxidants, and omega 3 fatty acids.
Flax seeds: May have a protective effect against cancer. Also contains fiber and omega 3s.
Powdered Cat Food
If you don't use dry/dehydrated cat food, The Honest Kitchen has small trial-size packs of their 'Prowl' cat food, which is perfect for this recipe. This food uses free-range chicken. The first 9 ingredients are chicken, eggs, potatoes, sweet potatoes, organic flaxseed, pumpkin, spinach, cranberries, rosemary. This cake can serve as a nutritious meal for your pet that should be tasty without adding unnecessary unhealthy ingredients.
- Mix the dry ingredients (coconut flour, powdered cat food, flax seed, dry cat treats, cheese, and chia seed, in a bowl).
- Mix the wet ingredients (one beaten egg and 1/2 tablespoon melted coconut oil.
- Slowly add dry ingredient mixture to the egg mixture until you arrive at a doughy consistency. Water can be added if it is too crumbly.
- Pack the dough into a small cake pan (approximately 4 inches diameter) coated with your chosen oil and cook at 350° F for 15 minutes or when cake-like consistency is reached.
- Decorate! Frosting can be canned wet cat food, tuna fish, or if your cat likes it, there are yogurt-based and carob-based frosting available. Decorate the cake with dry cat treats that your pet loves. Bonito flakes and cat treats in special shapes are great for this. You can also sprinkle on some cat nip.
There are many healthy brands of canned cat food. I used the Instinct brand. If you prefer to try your pet with a more human-inspired cake, you can use real frosting made from melted yogurt chips, or use pet specific brand frosting such as that offered by K9 Cakery.
This can also be used for writing your pet's name on the top. Simply place some in a plastic bag and cut a small hole in the corner so that it can be squeezed out. Or, you can use an old ketchup bottle.
More by this Author
Addressing the science and culture involving cat domestication and wild animals.
How dangerous or severe can the attacks of domesticated cats become? Do cats attack unprovoked?
Here’s one unique pet that is legal in each individual state in the United States.
No comments yet.