Funny TV Sitcom Dog Names for Your New Puppy
Naming your new puppy can be fun. Find a few names you like and see how your dog responds to them. No name should be given to your dog just to make fun of him. None of the dog names on this list are offensive, like “Puddles” or “Tinkles." The following are lists of funny names derived from sitcoms and other random funny names not related to T.V.
Sitcom Dog Names
Lots of funny names come from sitcoms. I am sure that there are other favorites that I did not include here, but this list will give you a few of my favorites:
- Barney (from Barney Fife of the Andy Griffith Show. Everyone knows this name, even long after the show has left TV)
- Bunker (Archie, from All in the Family)
- Chandler (does this Friends character even need a description?)
- Cosmo (Kramer from Seinfeld—your dog may not be unique with this name, but he will definitely be recognized)
- Fonzie (Heyyyy…what dog would not want this name?)
- Fran (from The Nanny—this is a good name for a prissy little female Poodle)
- Ginsu (every insomniac will get a chuckle out of this one—all sitcoms have way too many commercial breaks, and reruns are the worst)
- Gomer (do puppies come in khaki?)
- Jethro (from the Beverly Hillbillies)
- Hawkeye (from M*A*S*H)
- Herman (from the Munsters)
- Hogan (the WWII comedy, not the wrestler)
- Homer (from The Simpsons)
- Horshak (a lot of the characters from Welcome Back, Mr Kotter were great but this one has the best dog name)
- Kramden (One of these days, Alice…)
- Kramer (I like his first name best, but even this one works great as a dog name)
- Latka (not everyone is going to recognize this Kaufman character from Taxi, so you may end up explaining your dog´s name to most people)
- Lucy (no ´splainin’ will be needed for this one)
- Mork (if your little puppy looks like an alien)
- Niles (if your Coton is pretentious from the beginning, this Frasier character has the perfect snooty name)
- Rhoda (This is a great name for a little puppy that is always underneath your feet)
- Squiggy (this character from Laverne and Shirley wasn’t one of the funniest ever, but his name sure is)
- Woody (one of the best bartenders from Cheers)
Funny Dog Names Inspired by Household Items
There are quite a few funny names around the house:
Look around. I am sure there are a lot of things I have not thought of.
Funny Dog Names From Other Countries
Feijão (pronounced fey-jown)
(Feijão means "beans")
Mingau (pronounced mean-gow)
(Mingau means "oatmeal")
(Pedra means "The Rock", a great name for a tough Coton de Tulear)
Sissy Dog Names
Every once in a while you run into a dog that is a real sissy, but of course no one agrees on sissy names. No matter what someone will always have a grandfather or uncle with one of these names.
- Leslie (this was my grandfather´s middle name, honest!)
Most of them are funny, and ideal for a dog that goes around in a show clip-I would still rather call my dog Cosmo.
Odd Dog Names
Some names are just odd, but make great names for a puppy:
You are in for a lot of fun for the next few months, and picking out that name is just the beginning. Start things out right by taking your new puppy in for a vet visit right away.
You also need to remember that your new puppy will end up being a smart dog and needs to be enrolled in obedience classes right away. Do not wait until your puppy is six months old—no matter what you may have been told!
Be sure to take a lot of pictures of your new puppy and enjoy “puppyhood” while it lasts.
And when you pick her new name, do not forget:
- All dogs respond to training better with a two syllable name. You can give your puppy some silly name like Cottonball, but do not expect her to respond when you call her. Most of the lists of dog names that I have read on the internet have included a lot of bad choices, so for best results use the names off of this list.
- Funny names are fine, but even if you think your puppy is silly, do not force her to go through life with a stupid name.
- You should not give her a name that sounds like the name of a dog you already have.
- Stay away from names that sound like training commands. Short, one syllable names may be confusing, so you will notice that most of the names here are two syllables and none of them sound like common commands.
- Avoid the overused dog names like the plague. All dogs are special, and remember your dog is an individual. Treat her that way from the very first by giving her a special name.
- Even if you don´t like my choices here, do not use Fifi or Pierre!
More Good Names
- White Dog Names
If your new puppy is all white, don´t you think she needs a cute and unique name? Here are some great suggesstions.
- Macho Dog Names
If your dog is going to be too small to intimidate the neighborhood bullies, he is counting on you to find him a good macho name. Choose from this list, and keep your dog from being humiliated at the dog park!
- Best Dog Names from Brazil
Does your new puppy lie around the house most of the day? Does she seem more interested in her pedicure than her new toy? If your dog jumps up into the hammock every chance she gets, maybe she should have a Brazilian name.
If you do not want to name your dog something funny, special, and unique, this is a list of the top 10 dog names that you should not use.