100+ Awesome Dog Name Ideas for Greyhounds
Help! What Should I Name My Greyhound?
Did you just adopt a retired racing greyhound or are you raising a puppy? Congratulations! These lazy, lanky guys make fantastic friends.
There are so many "greyt" names to choose from! Check out these lists of names and choose the perfect one for your new buddy! (Or click here for video game greyhound names!)
Name Ideas for Large Greyhounds
Greyhounds are called "gentle giants" for a reason: they can get up to 100 pounds! If you've got a new big boy or girl in your life, consider one of these larger-than-life names:
Greyhounds are large and can be intimidating, but inside their hearts are warm and gooey like Beast's from Beauty and the Beast.
A huge name for a huge hound! If you want, you can choose the name of a specific titan. Some fun choices include:
- Styx - Underworld
- Prometheus - Forethought
- Leto - Mother
- Metis - Cunning and wisdom
- Eos - Dawn
- Rhea - Mother of Zeus
- Phoebe - Intellect
- Atlas - He who carries the sky
- Aura - Refreshing breeze
- Selene - Moon
- Helios - Sun and oath
- Asteria - Falling stars
While your greyhound is probably too lazy to climb buildings, this name is perfect for a large, tough guy with a soft spot for just one person (you)!
The first giant in Norse mythology! How cool is that?
Just keep your friend away from slingshots.
This name flows from the tongue and doesn't have an ounce of that "barbarian" giant name sound. Great for females!
Do you prefer small or large greyhounds?
More "Tiny" Names for Greyhounds
Name Ideas for Petite Greyhounds
Not all greyhounds are built like skyscrapers.
If you've got a tiny couch potato, these are the names for you!
For a mischievous, cheerful and energetic greyhound.
Because naming your dog "Tittle" would be kind of weird.
So small you can barely see it!
Just don't confuse her for a chicken nugget or she might be in trouble.
How cute is a little bean? These things usually have patterns on them, too--just like greyhounds!
Adorable name for your beloved mini-hound. If only she had wings...
Naming your dog after other animals is a fun!
What's cuter than a button (besides your greyhound, of course)?
The mythology variety, not the lawn variety. Those are creepy.
Lanky, Bony Greyhound Name Ideas
Greyhounds are so skinny that people think they're always starving. They have long spaghetti noodle limbs, needle noses, and bones that poke through everywhere. Somehow it's adorable! Choose a name for your hound to play off his lanky frame with these ideas:
Not to be confused with the delicious variety!
Greyhounds have long finger toes that look like they're made for climbing trees.
Because they love to do it and they can reach anything!
Sometimes it seems that Greyhounds have tentacles, just like...
...these noodle-armed guys.
Skelly is a lot cuter than calling your dog "skeleton".
Long skinny legs make me think of spiders. How about you?
Bones are cool! Greyhounds know this and love to show them off.
THE skinny damsel in distress.
Greyhounds have more muscles than twigs but the name is still adorable.
Awesomely Bad Famous Dog Names:
- Burp (The Gerald McBoing-Boing Show)
- Yukk! (Mighty Man)
- Uggie (The Artist)
- Snert (Hagar the Horrible)
- Skeletor (50/50)
- Genghis Khan (Martha Stewart's dog)
- Rude Dog (Rude Dog and the Dweebs)
- Puppy Purple (The Blobs)
- Winky (Best in Show)
- Meatloaf (Fergie's dog)
- Gecko (Duckman)
- Grits (President Jimmy Carter's daughter's dog...briefly)
- Dum Dum (Touche Turtle and Dum Dum)
- Dynomutt (Dynomutt Dog Wonder)
- Wildfire (It's a Dog's Life)
- Family Dog (Family Dog)
- Oprah Winfree (50 Cent's dog)
Gentle, Lazy Greyhound Name Ideas
Greyhounds have bursts of energy that last about 34 seconds...and then it's back to the couch to nap. They're not brawlers, either. They just want to cuddle all the time.
It's only appropriate to name your greyhound something truthful, right?
This is exactly what greyhounds transform into when they're not eating or chasing something.
What's your greyhound's favorite thing to do? Probably snooze.
These hounds love rubbing their needle noses against stuff, especially their humans.
Not a fighter.
For the greyhound who is just so cute you can't stand it!
Everyone's favorite tuberous crop!
Fast, Speedy Names for Greyhounds
They don't call these guys 45 MPH couch potatoes for nothing! They'll catch a bunny or hop onto your couch in a heartbeat. Celebrate your greyhound's swift skills by giving her a fun, fast name!
- Hare - What a twist it would be to name your hound what she chases!
- Dash - Great name for a speedy hound.
- Gazelle - They look alike...
- Cheetah - A gazelle's worst nightmare.
- (Peregrine) Falcon - These guys can fly at 202 MPH!
- Swordfish - And these guys can swim at 60 MPH!
- Blitz - "Lightning" is appropriate for such a quick animal.
- Bullet - Like the train or the ammo!
- Blackbeard - Your hound will plunder your spot on the couch...or the whole couch.
- Ninja - These guys will infiltrate your heart.
- Flash - Like the superhero, not Flash Gordon.
- Sonic - Like the hedgehog! Or short for Hyper-sonic...
- Batman - Because Batman is awesome!
Name Ideas for Different Greyhound Colors
Funny Name Ideas for Greyhounds
Some dog owners loves to poke fun at themselves and at their pets by giving them ridiculously hilarious names. It's a good thing the dogs don't understand exactly what they're being called, right? Here are some quirky, unique names for greyhounds:
- Smelly - Sometimes they can really smell foul. Just saying.
- Mr./Mrs. Rump - Since they love to just rub it all over you to say "I love you".
- Cow Pie - It sounds cute until you think about what it really is.
- Dingleberry - It's not something you pick from a bush.
- Meat - For the gym rat greyhound.
- Creeper - Oh, they'll follow you around and you won't even know they're there.
- Dinner - She'll always sleep with one eye open.
- Git - "Come here, git!" How confusing.
- Mascara - It looks like they're wearing it!
- Cockroach/Roach - This is how a greyhound sleeps: stomach and legs pointed at the ceiling. They resemble those yucky bugs which is why it's called "cockroaching".
- Troll - Have you ever seen something so cute it was hideous (or vice versa)? Troll is a nice ugly name for an adorable greyhound.
- Baboon - Greyhounds are known for having bare bottoms where hair has fallen out.
- Drippy - These guys have drippy noses just like little kids!
- Slobbaface - Have you seen a greyhound after an intense fetch session?