My name is Tatiana, but my friends and family call me Tutta. I love writing articles that bring a little creativity to everyday life.
Tough Dog Names
When it comes to naming a large dog, its massive size would really pair well with a tough name. After all, you don’t want to name your large dog something like Pansy of Fifi; it just doesn’t sound right!
Here is a list of good, tough dog names, categorized by gender.
Tough Girl Names
Tough Male Names
Common Large Dog Breeds
The following list of common colossal canines details the overall general appearance and temperament of each breed.
- Mastiff: Although there are a few different Mastiff breeds, here, we will focus on the English Mastiff. These are very, very strong dogs with a tough appearance, but they really have big hearts to fill that big body! Such gentle giants, they are. Typically, they are a golden color with a black face or snout, have short fur and can also be black, grey or brown.
- Great Dane: These dogs are “great” for many reasons, but two major reasons would be their size (of course!) and their great, playful, loveable personality! They come in many different colors and fur patterns, but the fur is always short.
- Great Pyrenees: Another “great” dog for its size and personality is the Great Pyrenees! This intelligent breed is yet another gentle giant and was used in sheep herding and for family protection. Closely resembling a big, cuddly, polar bear, this breed is often all white, sometimes with splashes of grey or tan.
- Saint Bernard: If you have seen the movie Beethoven, then you are familiar with this breed and its massive size! Another large, cuddly breed, it is most often white with brown around the eyes and ears, and brown patterns on the back. Be warned, though that if you get this breed, you’ll be cleaning up lots of drool.
- Irish Wolfhound: Last on the list, but certainly not least, is another very tall breed, less massive, more on the twiggy side, the Irish Wolfhound! Often a grey color with a wire-haired fur coat, this sweet companion requires a lot of space to run, as they are big and fast, and like to show it off!
Choosing a Strong Name
A name for a large dog doesn’t need to necessarily sound ferocious, but it should definitely depict their large size as a dog as the names above do. These are not names that you would give the average chihuahua; after all, we are talking dogs almost as big as you!
If you want to think of additional tough dog names, just think of all things that are associated with the words large, strong, and powerful. The categories are limitless: comic/book characters, machinery, mythological creatures, military, automotive, mother nature, and so on!
Okay, the name for a large dog doesn’t have to sound tough, but if you give the dog a tough name, it will leave nobody to wonder just how big and protective of a dog you have. At the end of the day, no matter how tough the name sounds, you end up with a mushy, lovable, gentle giant in your bed just wanting to cuddle!
Questions to Ask Before Adopting a Big Dog
When pondering the idea of getting a dog as a new family addition, one of the major factors to be considered is the size of the breed. We all know that dogs start out small, but many of them go on to be as tall, if not taller than you while standing on their hind legs! It’s not something that should be thought about lightly.
Read More From Pethelpful
To determine if a large breed dog is for you, some of the questions you might ask yourself are:
- Do I have enough room inside my home?
- Do I have a big enough yard?
- Can I afford to feed a large breed?
- Are there any deed restrictions on size, weight, or breed in my community?
- Should I get a bigger bed? (Probably!)
After asking yourself these questions and the outlook seems good, it’s time to consider which breed would be a good fit for your home and family!
- Male and Female Pit Bull Names
Over 80 pit bull names for your rough and tough pup. Let your pit bull pick his name with some fun name games the whole family can participate in.
- 101 Puppy Names For Boys
Choosing a name for your new puppy doesn't have to be a hard task! Check out our list of 101 puppy names for boys to help you pick a great name for your lovable buddy!
© 2014 Tatiana
Suzanne p on August 27, 2018:
We had two bull whippets both boys, and named them shelby from 'peaky blinders' , and dexter. They are both nuts so their names suit them
Annie on December 31, 2016:
We named our male puppy English Bulldog General McArthur.
Lingo on December 31, 2014:
Poe because I like it with frenchfries or oranges possibly potatoes also
mecheshier on February 24, 2014:
What fabulous Hub. I love your ideas for dog names and how to choose the right name for the type of dog. Voted up for useful and awesome.