I like to share information about wildlife, animals, and pets—dogs in particular.
Dogs have been our most trusted and loyal companions for centuries. But some dog breeds are prohibited in many countries, according to countries' breed-specific legislation (BSL).
The local BSL issues a list of dog breeds and guidelines, including which dog is prohibited (banned) and which dog can be kept subject to certain conditions. Breeds which are not allowed under any condition are kept in the "prohibited" or "banned" category. And the dog breeds that are allowed under certain conditions are kept in the "restricted" category.
Reasons for Breed-Specific Legislations (BSL)
There are a number of reasons why some countries feel they must ban a specific dog breed.
- Dog bite statistics report: Breeds that have a history of aggressively biting and/or breeds with the most damaging bites.
- Tendency toward aggression: Breeds that have a tendency to attack people or those that can be a risk to public safety.
- Used for illegal activities: Some excellent breeds are unfortunately used for illegal activities like dogfighting and are, therefore, banned.
- Rare or unrecognized breeds or wolf hybrid dogs: In many countries, crossbreeds or mutts are banned because people believe they have unpredictable behavior. If a certain breed is banned, mixing it with a legal breed will also make the mixed dog illegal.
- Poor history: Dogs that have poor health or behavior records are banned. In specific countries with extreme weather, specific dogs that will not do well in the climate will not be allowed to live there.
Countries Where No Dog Breed Is Banned
In many countries, the Breed Specific Legislation (BSL) considers them naturally aggressive, so they are banned or restricted. But many countries are not in favor of banning the breed of dogs:
- African Countries (Kenya,Uganda, Rawanda, Nigeria)
1. African Countries (Kenya, Uganda, Rwanda, Nigeria, etc.)
In most African countries such as Kenya, Uganda, Rwanda, Nigeria, etc., dogs are not banned on the basis of their breed. There is no provision of any major restriction for taking dogs to any city or public place here. These countries do not publish a list of banned breeds, but your pet passport for your cat or dog will include an import permit and proof of rabies vaccination.
According to the Breed Specific Legislation in South Africa, about 14 breeds of dogs are banned, and some are restricted in public places.
Bhutan is a small and beautiful country in the Himalayan region, officially known as the Kingdom of Bhutan. Bhutan balances environmental viability and cultural preservation and was almost cut off for centuries to avoid foreign influences.
The people here love animals and birds (including dogs), and they also have religious significance. Bhutan do not publish a list of banned breeds, you can keep dogs of any breed here, or even import them from other countries without any condition.
There is no restriction on importing or breeding any dog breed in China, but there are breed restrictions in Shanghai, Chengdu and Beijing. A couple of dog breeds, which are large, strong, aggressive in nature or whose bite force is very high, have been banned in these cities.
- About 20 such breeds of dogs were banned In Shanghai since 2020.
- About 22 dog breeds were prohibited in Chengdu since November 2018.
- About 32 breeds of dogs and all the dog breeds which have height more than 35 cm, were prohibited in Beijing since 2003.
Read More From Pethelpful
Finland is a pet-friendly country that has no restriction on importing or breeding any dog breed. But there are some rules and regulations that place restrictions:
- When you are taking your pet to a public place, you must keep the dogs on leash.
- Any hybrid (wolf and dog mix, or wolf dog) is not allowed in Finland.
- Your pet passport for your cat or dog will include an import permit and proof of rabies vaccination.
There is no provision for breed specific legislation of dogs in India, and no restriction on importing or breeding any dog breed in India. There is no restriction or lease provision for taking dogs in public places in India, but in major public places usually dogs are not allowed.
And dogs crossed with wild wolves or not permitted to keep as pets. In some cases, you have to qualify for the guidelines to own such dogs and get the clearance from the state animal husbandry department of the city where you live.
Italy does not ban any dog breeds from entering the country; you can keep any breed of dog and breed them. But in the city of Venice, Italy, there is breed-specific legislation for dogs and some dogs are prohibited here. The entry of dogs of the Doberman or Rottweiler breed is prohibited in Venice.
Ireland is a pet friendly country that has no restriction on importing or breeding any dog breed, and no dog breed is actually prohibited in Ireland. But Ireland's Dog Breed Specific Legislation has restricted about 11 dog; to keep them you have to follow the prescribed rules, these dogs can only be led by people over the age of 16.
And you cannot take them in public places without a lease and in some places without a muzzle. The list of restricted breeds include:
- American Pit Bull Terrier
- English Bull Terrier
- Staffordshire Bull Terrier
- Bull Mastiff
- Dobermann Pinscher
- German Shepherd (Alsatian)
- Rhodesian Ridgeback
- Japanese Akita
- Japanese Tosa
- American Bandogge
No dog breed has been banned in Japan by dog Breed Specific Legislation (BSL), but Wolf Hybrid Dogs or Wolf Dogs are prohibited to breed or import. But all imported dog breeds must be vaccinated against rabies twice and a live rabies virus vaccine is not accepted in Japan, and dogs should be 91 days old at first vaccination.
No dog breeds are prohibited in Mexico, but if your dog exhibits any misbehavior then the responsibility will be on you. According to the rules of importing dogs of Mexico, dogs imported from countries other than the United States must have been vaccinated against rabies.
Nepal is a Hindu nation; people here consider animals and birds as part of their life. Animals such as cows, dogs, crows and other deities are worshiped here one day in every year. Kukur Tihar Festival is celebrated every year in Nepal; on this day dogs are worshiped all over Nepal. There is no provision to prohibit any breed of dogs here, nor is there any legislation specific to the breed of dogs.
If you are traveling with your pet dog from another country, or importing a dog from another country, then you need to share your dog's vaccination details and live rabies virus vaccine details.
Pakistan does not publish a banned breed list; there is no restriction on importing or breeding any dog breed in Pakistan. And there is no provision of any major restriction for taking dogs to any city or public place.
But if you are coming here from another country, or are importing a dog, you need to share your dog's vaccination details and live rabies virus vaccine details, and aggressive behavior is not tolerated. Visitors are responsible for their pet's behavior.
This article is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge. It is not meant to substitute for diagnosis, prognosis, treatment, prescription, or formal and individualized advice from a veterinary medical professional. Animals exhibiting signs and symptoms of distress should be seen by a veterinarian immediately.
© 2022 Aaradhya