Jessica is an experienced pet mom with dogs, cats, rats, fish, axolotls, a gecko, chickens, and ducks.
Miniature schnauzers are consistently in the top 20 lists of popular dog breeds, and they ranked at #19 in 2020. This puts them ahead of other popular breeds such as pugs, border collies, and chihuahuas! There are many reasons they are such a popular breed. They are friendly, trainable, adaptable, and great family dogs. The breed dates all the way back to the 15th century when they were bred down from standard schnauzers in Germany. Since then, miniature schnauzers have gone from rat hunters to beloved family pets.
When you are choosing a name for a dog, you may want to consider the temperament of the breed. Many people describe miniature schnauzers as charming little gentlemen (or ladies.) They are also known to be playful, outgoing, and loving, and super smart. They are known to be good watchdogs who love to bark, and they get along well with other animals and children. Schnauzers can be great family dogs because of their cheerful demeanor and the love they have for their people, and they are sure to brighten up any home.
These names were picked to suit a charming little dog with a big personality. Since personality traits can vary so much from dog to dog, there are a variety of darling names. Hopefully, this list gives you some ideas for the perfect name for your new family member!
Names That Start With A-C
- Bartholomew: Bart for short
- Little Man
- Onyx: This would suit a black schnauzer well!
- Smokey: This name would work well for a miniature schnauzer with salt and pepper markings!
Fun Facts About Miniature Schnauzers
- Miniature schnauzers can have three coat colors: black, black and silver, and salt and pepper.
- They were created to hunt rats and live on farms, which is why they have such a muscular build and a wiry coat.
- They have a double coat, which means that they have a wiry topcoat and a soft coat underneath.
- Their average lifespan is 12-15 years.
- The miniature schnauzer is the most popular schnauzer breed, and they are a very popular dog breed worldwide.
- They rank at #12 on the list of dog breed intelligence.
- Since they are so smart they are super easy to train! Teaching them lots of tricks can keep them from getting bored and getting into things.
- They are considered hypoallergenic, which means that they hardly shed so they are much less likely to cause an allergic reaction.
- They have a high prey drive so they are likely to chase animals such as mice, squirrels, or bunnies. If you have small pets like bunnies or hamsters they should definitely be kept away from your miniature schnauzer!
- They are a popular breed among celebrities. Some celebrities who have owned miniature schnauzers are Bruce Lee, Mary Tyler Moore, 50 Cent, Doris Day, and Katherine Heigl.
- Miniature Schnauzers: What's Good About 'Em, What's Bad About 'Em
- Miniature Schnauzer Breed Traits & Characteristics - AKC
- Miniature Schnauzer- Daily Paws
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and is not meant to substitute for formal and individualized advice from a qualified professional.
© 2021 Jess H