6 Foods to Avoid Feeding Your Dog
6 Foods That Are Bad for Your Dog
When it comes to pets, especially dogs and cats, there are certain foods that they can digest and some foods that may be potentially poisonous. Most dog owners know what foods they may and may not feed their dogs. However, there may be many people who may have newly become dog owners or may not yet know what they can feed their dogs. If you are one of them, here is a list of six foods to avoid, as they may potentially kill your dear pet.
Caffeine in any form is a strict no for your dog. Caffeine can be found in coffee, tea, coffee beans, caffeine pills, and even chocolate. Caffeine can easily damage your dog’s kidney, heart, lungs, and central nervous system. Typical symptoms include hyperactivity, vomiting, and restlessness, followed by increased heart rate, panting, muscle tremors, drunken gait, and convulsions.
2. Chocolate and Cocoa
Chocolate in any form is as dangerous to a dog as caffeine. The darker the chocolate, the higher the danger to the dog. The main reason chocolate is poisonous is cocoa. Cocoa ingestion in any form can prove fatal to a dog. The chemical theobromine present in cocoa can cause damage to the kidneys, heart, lungs, and the central nervous system. It is not only dark chocolate that causes damage but also milk chocolate. Typical symptoms include seizures, tremors, and over-excitement, diarrhea, vomiting, hyperthermia, abnormal heart rhythm, and coma.
3. Onions, Garlic, and Leeks
Some of the foods to avoid for dogs include vegetables such as garlic, leeks, onions, and chives. These vegetables can cause Heinz body anemia, a type of hemolytic anemia where red blood cells are destroyed. This may be followed by kidney damage. Some other symptoms may involve rapid heart rate, pale gums, vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, and bloody urine.
4. Bread Dough
Bread dough or any kind of bakery dough easily makes your dog’s stomach swell. This can cause your dog’s abdomen to stretch, which can cause severe pain. In addition, when the yeast ferments, it produces ethanol, which is very toxic for your dog. It may cause damage to the central nervous system as well as the respiratory system. Some symptoms include depression, sedation, weakness, hypothermia, and drunken gait.
5. Macadamia Nuts
These nuts may not be fatal, but they do cause illness in your dog. The mechanism of toxicity is yet unknown. A handful of these nuts can cause adverse effects in your pet dog. Some symptoms are weakness, depression, vomiting, muscle/joint pain, joint swelling, and a drunken gait.
6. Currants, Grapes, and Raisins
Fruits such as grapes, raisins, or black currants are good for humans but not dogs. In dogs, these fruits can cause irreparable damage to the kidneys, possibly causing death. Although the exact toxic dose is not yet established, even 4–5 raisins or grapes can prove poisonous for dogs. If ingested, your dog may show symptoms such as loss of appetite, vomiting, abdominal pain, diarrhea, weakness, drunken gait, and decreased urine production (leading to complete lack of urine production).
Some other foods to avoid for dogs include fatty foods, artificial sweeteners, ice cream, alcohol, and dairy products. You can, however, give your dog vegetables such as carrots, green beans, apples, bananas, oranges, and watermelons. You can also feed your dog lean meats and regular dog foods. Make sure that you feed your dog only those foods that give them the required nutrition and safe for them.
This article is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge. It is not meant to substitute for diagnosis, prognosis, treatment, prescription, or formal and individualized advice from a veterinary medical professional. Animals exhibiting signs and symptoms of distress should be seen by a veterinarian immediately.
Questions & Answers
Can you feed a dog bananas?
Yes. You can feed your pet buddy bananas in moderation. They are good in potassium, Vitamin B6 and C. Bananas are also high in fiber and magnesium. So, bananas are good for your dog. However, avoid feeding him/her banana peel. While it is not toxic, it is difficult to digest.Helpful 1