60 Unique Male Dog Names and Meanings
Some dog names are so common they are practically synonyms with our furry companions. Names such as Rex and Fido are, or were, exceedingly common. Here is a list of unique male names. Follow the name ideas are some things to consider when choosing a dog name.
Ace One, Single Unit, Poker Card
Alfie Version of the name “Alfred;” counselor, guide
Bentley Ranch or farm with grass (Fun FYI: An extravagant auto made by Rolls Royce.)
Boris A contender, warrior
Byron From the outbuildings or barns (Fun FYI: Lord Byron was a writer additionally known for his luxurious and untamed life.)
Casey Steadfast in war
Caspian From the Caspian Sea
Charlie Free man (Fun FYI: Charlie Chaplin was a famous performer in early Hollywood.)
Conan Dog, Wolf (Fun FYI: Funnyman Conan O’Brien and Conan the Barbarian are popular examples of this name.)
Dante Everlasting (Fun FYI: Famous poet.)
Dingo A wild Australian dog
Doodle To draw idly; small drawing (Fun FYI: “Yankee Doodle” is a well-known tune.)
Dynamo Somebody with incredible vitality and power
Emerson Fortitude and force
Fabian Successful farmer, green thumb
Fergus Man of power, presence
Garrett Lance; bold
Gizmo A mechanical gadget or thingamajig; a contraption (Movie FYI: The name of the adorable Gremlin from 1980s film.)
Griswold From the gray forest
Gulliver Glutton, hungry
Hinkley A town in the state of California
Horace Gatekeeper; timekeeper
Hugo Savvy, intelligent
Hyde dazzling (Fun FYI: Most people know this name through The Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, written by Robert Louis Stevenson.)
Iggy Blazing one (Fun FYI: Many people know this name through vocalist and lyricist Iggy Pop.)
Indiana, Indy The place where there are Indians (Fun FYI: People know this name from racing and the movie Raiders of the Lost Ark.)
Jax Child of Jack
Jojo Born on Monday
Kahuna Local medicine man or cleric (Fun FYI: "Big Kahuna" was utilized in 1960s beach party movies.)
Kirby From the town with the church
Loki The god of underhandedness and mischief
Magee Child Of Aodh
Milo Quiet and peaceful (Movie Notable: Some may know this name from either charming Jack Russell Terrier in the movie The Mask or from Milo and Otis (though Milo was the cat).
Muggs, Mugsy Gangster sidekick
Mustafa Chosen (Fun FYI: People know this from both The Lion King and the Austin Powers movies.
Nitro Chemical gathering (No2) (Fun FYI: Often used as component of explosives.)
Noodle A slender strip of dried dough
Odie Wood slope (Fun FYI: People know this name from the comic Garfield.)
Ozzie, Ozzy Divine spearman (Music Notable: Most people are familiar with this name through music artist Ozzy Osbourne.)
Paladin A chivalrous champion; protector of a noble cause
Pixel The tiniest part of a digital image
Reece Eagerness (TV Notable: Reece is the tormenting sibling in Malcolm in the Middle.)
Ryder Mounted delivery person or warrior
Samson Like the sun
Scooter Shuffling movement
Strider To stroll with huge steps
Taz Shorthand for a Tasmanian Devil; often known as a cartoon character from Looney Tunes.
Tonka Toy truck brand
Valentino Great health
Vesper Evening star
Vladimir, Vlad To Rule (Fun FYI: Often known through Bram Stoker’s novel Dracula.)
Wicket A little entryway
Xander Safe guarder of men
Yodel Type of singing among Swiss Mountaineers
Zero Text form of “0”
Zoomer Fast mover
Zuma Frowns in anger (Fun FYI: Shorthand form of Aztec name Montezuma.)
Which name is the most cliché?
Tips on Naming a Dog
Choosing a dog name can be tricky. Your pet's name should be unique enough that dogs don’t get confused at a dog park, and we do not want to give our dogs the same name that our friends have used for their dogs. Names also need staying power, as most dogs live over 10 years. So what are some methods to choose the best dog name?
- Avoid Puns While there may be temptation to use a pun, understand that those fade quickly. For example, naming your dog Gnarles Barkley may seem cute, because he growls and barks a lot, but may not fit him in 10 years. Another example may be calling your dog Chewy because he is always chewing on stuff.
- Go Long One idea may be to use a longer name that can be quickly shortened to a cute small name. For example, Bently could be shortened to Ben or modified to Bennie. This allows the dog name to stay the same, yet change slightly in the future. However, before short names are used, make sure the dog knows their regular full name.
- Favorite Character It may be tempting to name a dog after a popular character from TV or a movie, but make sure that this show has been around for awhile. The longer a show has been around, the more staying-power that name will have.
- Human Names Dogs can be named a variety of things, including the same names as humans. While this is possible, using a short “dog-like” name will help avoid situations where a new friend has the same name as your dog.
- Dog Traits Dog names based on a specific trait can work if those traits are positive reminders. Tying a negative experience to a dog for the rest of their life may cause problems down the road.
Hopefully this list of tips helps choose a great dog name! If you have other tips or suggestions, please feel free to leave a comment below.