What Is the Best Pet Insurance for Dogs?
Compare Pet Insurance for Dogs
When choosing the best pet health insurance for your dog, it is important to make sure that you are getting the best service for your money. Cheapest isn't always best. Different types of pet insurance vary on what they cover, how much they cost, as well as how much they will cover if your best friend gets sick. Many companies have deals if you insure additional pets, including getting insurance for your cat, as cats have different needs than dogs.
Cost of Pet Insurance Comparison Chart
Cost Per Month
Pet Plan: the Pet People
$9.95 or $99 per year, they also have a family plan option
Dog Insurance Plans
Pet Plan (the Pet People):
- They offer three different levels of pet insurance: Bronze, Silver, and Gold.
- The Bronze health insurance is the most popular and the cheapest.
- This pet insurance covers typical veterinary services, dental care, as well as hospitalization for illnesses and accidents.
- Unlike many other plans, Pet Plan also covers prescriptions, non-routine dental care, and even alternative treatments like acupuncture.
- The cost for Pet Plan depends on what deductible and co-pay you choose. The deductible is per accident, not annual deductible.
- They offer to pay up to 80% of any pet bills after you pay your deductible.
- You also are able to choose any licensed veterinary, so you are not limited to who you can choose as your dog's doctor.
- Pets Best get their claims back to you quickly, and they can even be direct deposited if you choose.
- They also have Best Wellness coverage program that has no deductible for routine care.
- All of their programs cover the same services, it is just the amount of annual and lifetime deductible that changes.
- This life-time deductible is great, because you are guaranteed to never spend more than that throughout your dog's lifetime!
- They cover everything between visits to acupuncture.
- Embrace Pet Insurance is a great place for people who cannot find a pet insurance that is exactly what they want, because Embrace allows you to costumize your pet insurance exactly to your needs.
- You can choose the annual deductible, the co-pay, and what you want covered.
- Their plans do cover genetic disorders, although they will not cover a dog with a preexisting condition or an older dog.
- Embrace also pays the percentage of your bill without any payment plans.
- There is no limit for deductible per incident.
- Pet Assure is more of a discount program than a pet insurance.
- They pay for 25% of all services, although you must use a participating vet.
- Pet Assure also has merchant networks where you can get 50% off certain products and services.
- Another great benefit of having Pet Assure is that they have a 24/7 Lost Pet Recovery Program!
- If you are not sure you want to make a commitment to Pet Assure, you can try the program risk free for 45 days.
Low-Cost Pet Insurance
When choosing low cost pet insurance, keep in mind how much money you are paying, as well as how much the deductible is. There are two different types of deductibles: per incident and annual. Per incident means the deductible will only cover for that incident. An annual deductible works much like health insurance for people.
Per incident would be beneficial if an accident were to occur in December; therefore, you would not have to pay the deductible twice if treatment went into January or in a case like cancer where the treatment may last up to three years. On the other hand, if your dog gets hit by a car in January, then is diagnosed with cancer in June, these would have two separate deductibles with per incident.
Another consideration when looking at cost of pet insurance, you need to see what the co-pay is. Just because a pet insurance is low cost per month, does not mean it is the lowest cost in your case.
What is more important for pet health insurance?
Get Pet Insurance While Your Dog is Young
Pet Health Insurance Review: the Pros and Cons
Pet Plan (the Pet People):
- According to Consumer Search, out of one hundred surveyed, Pet Plan got the highest rating possible. They are known for paying claims very quickly, and covering hereditary and congenital conditions. Another benefit to Pet Plan is that they give you the option to pay for deductible or with a co-pay. Unfortunately, they will not allow you to insure your older dog, unless he's been insured his whole life.
- Pets Best is given a rating of 8.3 on petinsurancereview.com out of 10. Over 500 people rated them. The great part about Pets Best is they do not have any age restrictions on what dogs they will cover! Your older dog and a dog with preexisting conditions will be covered. They reimburse 80%, which means only 20% is out of pocket!
- Embrace is highly recommended due to your capability to customize your plan for your dog's needs. You can choose what you want covered, as well as what you want the deductible and co-pay to be. Embrace offers $200 towards your dog's vet visits and other health needs your dog may have throughout the year. This pet insurance excludes dogs with preexisting conditions, as well as older dogs.
- Pet assure is in the top three on Consumer Search websites for Best Pet Insurance Top Picks. Those who rated this insurance through Consumer Search rated it a 7 out of 10. Pet Assure is noted for its low payments, which is why it is so well-liked. Although by paying less, there are limits to what is covered. Pet Assure is thought of as more of a pet discount program. It does cover all dogs whether they are older or have a preexisting condition. Unfortunately, they only pay 25% of all pet visits. There is no deductible or limits. The biggest downside is that you must use a vet that is pre-approved by Pet Assure before they will cover your cost.
Pet Plan Top Rated Pet Insurance (Commercial)
© 2012 Angela Michelle Schultz