Inspiration for spotted-pet names can come from all walks of life. From the cosmos and the art gallery to children's games and haute couture, these meaningful name ideas will make your pet proud to come when called.
Meaningful Spotted Dog Names
- Atari: The first video game, which was made by Atari, consisted of a white dot being hit back and forth across the screen by two players. The name of this exciting new game was “Pong.”
- Boggle: A wordplay game with white dice and black lettering, boggle is also a verb meaning to confound or overwhelm.
- Dice: Small square white objects spotted with one to six marks, tossed in pairs to generate random numbers, often used in gambling or casting lots.
- Domino: Dominoes are used in a variety of games that match the rectangular white tiles with their spots (also called pips or nibs) to corresponding tiles, depending on the tactics of the particular game.
- Freckles: Darker spots of pigmentation, usually seen in fair-skinned people.
- Genet: A small spotted mammal with a ringed tail. They are distantly related to felines and mongoose. Genet is also the name of a French playwright, Jean Genet, associated with the genre of the Theatre of the Absurd.
- Jot: Jot the Dot was an odd yet beloved children’s cartoon in the 1960s. Jot was, in fact, a white spot that bounced from location to location. Once he arrived at his destination, two feet popped out, and the action of the cartoon began.
- Lynx: A medium-sized wild cat, noted for its spotted coat, oversize paws and long ear tufts. Lynx is a good name for a puppy with large paws, ears and spots.
- Merle: Coat pattern seen on many breeds of dogs that mixes white with the predominant coat color to form spots throughout the body of the dog. Also the name of beloved country music legend Merle Haggard.
- Orca: Also known as killer whales, Orcas are black and white; they are actually the largest member of the dolphin family. As powerful predators, they can prey on great white sharks and moose migrating between ice flows.
- Oreo: A beloved chocolate cookie with a white, sugary crème center.
- Sketch: Rough or unfinished painting; short act or play.
- Skunk: The spotted skunk has a charming pointed face and bold zigzag pattern of white spots on a glossy black coat.
- Smudge: A smeared mark on an otherwise pristine surface. A good name for a pet with just a few dark spots.
- Speckles: Marked with a large number of small drops or splashes of color.
- Splash: A charming name for any of the water dogs and retrievers.
- Stipple: To engrave by way of dots and flecks.
- Yin-Yang: A Chinese philosophy illustrated by two interconnected black and white images that represent the concept of opposite forces that may actually be interconnected and complementary.
Black and White Spotted Pet Names (Male)
- Ansel: Ansel Adams is famed for his black and white photography of the American Western landscape.
- Bengal: A spotted domestic cat breed with coat patterns ranging from orange and black to silver cloud and black. Name your boy Bengal and you can call him the ever-popular dog name “Ben” for short.
- Brand: A mark, trademark or spot.
- Chess: Cerebral game of strategy with opposing sides of black and white on a black-and-white board.
- Checkers: A less cerebral game of strategy comprised of red and black game pieces played on a red-and-black board. Checkers was also the name of Richard Nixon’s pet Cocker Spaniel, for which his famous campaign resurrection speech was named.
- Chip: Fragment, piece or bit; gaming token, such as a poker chip.
- Damien: Artist Damien Hirst, long revered and reviled for his spot paintings. The spots in his painting range from millimeters in size to sixty feet in diameter.
- Felix: Felix the Cat was an early cartoon character revolving around the comical adventures of an upright black and white cat.
- Jag: Short for jaguar, the spotted big cat, sleek race car and US Navy legal eagle.
- Lichtenstein: Roy Lichtenstein was a Pop artist whose work simulated the style of newspaper comic strips, composed of halftone dots.
- Macchiato: Macchiato is Italian for “spotted.” Name your pet Macchiato, and you can call him Macho Macchiato.
- Marbles: A favorite children's game consisting of swirled and spotted glass orbs.
- Mark: To draw or paint upon an object, verb. A sign or symbol that differentiates the bearer, noun.
- Messier: Messier 31 is also known as the Andromeda Galaxy, which can be seen as a band of spots in the sky without the aid of a telescope.
- Nimbus: A ring, orb or halo usually appearing above the divine’s head.
- Panda: China’s national symbol, these gentle giants feast on bamboo fronds.
- Pinto: Pinto is Spanish and Portuguese for painted, tinted or mottled. In English, it is used to describe a coat pattern frequently found on wild mustangs, composed of large swaths of black and white or brown and white markings. Pinto was also the nickname of Animal House character Larry “Pinto” Kroger, freshman pledge to the notorious fraternity, Delta Tau Chi House, played by Tom Hulce.
- Pollock: Jackson Pollock, American artist known for his sweeping drip paintings.
- Pongo: Father Dalmatian in Disney’s 101 Dalmatians animated film.
- Ray: The sea creature, the spotted eagle ray, can weigh up to 500 pounds with a wingspan of four to seven feet. Ray makes a great name for a gentle giant with a white underbelly and predominantly black or dark gray top coat with white spots.
- Seurat: Georges Seurat was an artist and draftsman and the father of the pointillist movement. His paintings were composed of tiny dots of color that, at a distance, formed a color-rich composition; when viewed up close, his paintings appeared as a jumble of dots. Pronounced sir-Ought.
- Spatter: To cover with drops or spots of something.
- Sully: To taint, mark or spot.
- Sylvester: Famous black and white cartoon “puddy” cat who perpetually stalks Tweety Bird. Name your pet Sylvester and you can call him Sly for short.
- Woody: Woodpeckers have striking spotted patterns, frequently adorned with a red crest.
- Tux: This one needs no explanation!
- Vincent: Painter Vincent Van Gogh’s later work has been associated with the pointillist movement, although he worked with short brush strokes, rather than “points” of color.
Black and White Spotted Pet Names (Female)
- Andromeda: Properly called the Andromeda Galaxy Nebula, it is a bright pattern of stars against a dark background.
- Brindle: Having obscure flecks and streaks in a coat pattern.
- Cookie: Cookies and cream, an ice cream or milkshake made with vanilla and Oreo cookies.
- Cruella: Villainess of Disney’s 101 Dalmatians, her life’s desire is to make a coat for herself composed entirely of Dalmatian puppy skins.
- Dapple: The dapple coat pattern of the horse mixes with the predominant coat color to form spots, usually on the rump of the horse.
- Doris: A species of sea creatures, related to the sea hare, noted for their spotted patterns. They are known to hide around rocks and coral.
- Dot: Short for Dorothy, which means “Gift of God.”
- Fawn: Young deer are spotted at birth to help camouflage them as they await their mother’s return from foraging. Fawns lose their spots between three and four months of age, as their winter coats begin to come in. Fawn is also the name of Lt. Col. Oliver North’s big-haired secretary, Fawn Hall, famed for helping him shred classified documents pertaining to the Iran-Contra scandal. Name your spotted girl Fawn if she also enjoys shredding objects around the house.
- Halo: A ring, orb or nimbus that appears above the sacred or divine.
- Kusama: Yayoi Kusama was a prolific artist who predated the Pop Art movement. Her mediums included soft sculpture, installations, painting and collage. Her work is known for psychedelic colors repeated in bold patterns of spots and dots. Her works were exhibited alongside of Warhol, Segal, and Oldenburg. She was also renowned for her contributions to fashion design, poetry and performance art.
- Linsang: A spotted, ferret-like creature, the linsang has spots that resemble the leopard pattern with a ringed tail. These tiny creatures weigh one pound, while their slender bodies average 14–15 inches from head to the tip of the tail.
- Maharam: A small dot and line pattern designed by Charles and Ray Eames in 1947. This iconic pattern is still in production today.
- Marimekko: Japanese design house that distinguished itself with bright bold spotted patterns in the mid-1960s.
- Nebula: Derived from mist or cloud, it is composed of interstellar dust and gas. The Andromeda Galaxy Nebula is the next closest galaxy to ours, the Milky Way. You can call her Ula for short.
- Perdita or Perdy: Mother Dalmatian in Disney’s 101 Dalmatians.
- Polka: Type of dot pattern and a lively German dance.
- Sprinkles: To pour or distribute small spots.
Names for Dogs With a Spot on The Head
If you are lucky enough to be blessed with a dog that is marked with the "Easy Button" or the "Smart Spot," these names celebrate the anointed, a ceremonial smearing of oil, holy water or powder to confer holiness or godliness.
Names for Dogs With Patches
- Badge: A medal of honor.
- Banner: Stripe of cloth, often streaming, designating a group or organization.
- Cipher: Sign, secret code or symbol.
- Crest: An emblem to designate a group or organization.
- Logo: Emblem.
- Kline: Franz Kline, American artist associated with the Abstract Expressionist movement, he painted in large swaths of black on white canvases.
- Medal: A disk, star or cross signifying accomplishment or bravery.
- Motto: A short sentence encapsulating the mission or meaning of an organization.
- Ribbons: Military decoration, name your girl ribbons if she has a striped pattern to her patches.
- Riley: English Op Artist, Bridget Riley, is known for bold geometric patterns.
- Scout: In honor of boy scout patches.
- Token: Emblem.
- Trophy: Anything serving as an award or mark of valor, skill or victory.
- Virtue: John Virtue, English artist known for painting monochrome landscapes in white acrylic with black ink, shellac and emulsion on canvas.
More Dog Names Ideas!
- 350+ Best Names for Australian Shepherds (With Their...
Over 350 name inspirations for the versatile Australian Shepherd from down under, way out west, the cosmos, and top-performing show dogs, plus names for dogs with distinctive coat patterns.
- 150 Best Names for White Dogs by Size for Males and Females
150 unique name ideas for white dogs from the Arctic to the angelic, for all sizes and breeds of fluffy white dogs.
- 55 Meaningful, Mystical and Spiritual Names for Dogs
Seeking a spiritual or mystical name for your dog? Then look no further! These meaningful names from world religions, spiritual realms and relics make unique, cool names for both male and female dogs.
- 100 Powerful Names for Energetic Dogs (From Chipper to Zipper)
Over one hundred unique and meaningful names for high drive dogs with boundless energy.
© 2017 Barbara Fitzgerald
Zoe on April 16, 2020:
I was looking for bunny names but a lot of these worked for bunnies too!!!!
Katseyes4u on March 02, 2019:
Want to ask for help naming my female Shih tzu, she is black & white - is like something unusual
Brenda on November 05, 2018:
I have a black and white female named Maci Grey.
Sqwinchy on September 03, 2018:
Oreo is such a good name
Annabelle on July 14, 2018:
my dog is black and has wihte and black paws with a wihte chest and she is a girl. Her perslnality is that she is shy funny licks alot likes to sleep she loves to be around other dogs help me find a name for her.
Sylvester on May 01, 2018:
As Japanese as the name sounds, Marimekko is actually a Finnish Design House, not Japanese.
Barbara Fitzgerald (author) from Georgia on January 15, 2018:
Yes, Dalmatians are stunning dogs. I love black and white, but my preference is for the border collie. Their pattern is called Irish spotting.
Louise Powles from Norfolk, England on January 15, 2018:
There's some good names there for dogs with spots! I've never owned a spotty dog to be honest, but I'd love a dalmatian. They are adorable dogs.