Teeuwynn has owned dogs her whole life. She has enjoyed the companionship of everything from Pugs to Newfoundlands.
The Norwegian Elkhound
Elkhounds are mid-size silver-gray dogs with dark guard hairs and muzzles. The Norwegian Elkhound was bred as a hunting dog. The breed was created to hunt large animals such as moose, elk, wolf, and bears in particular. Norwegian Elkhounds are mid-size, spitz-type dogs that are extremely loyal to their owners. In general, they like being a part of a pack. This makes them excellent family dogs.
Norwegian Elkhounds are very strong dogs. They are sturdy with a thick, double coat of fur that makes them able to survive comfortably in cold environments like those found in their homeland of Norway. Elkhounds are particularly adept at hunting in very rugged terrain. And these dogs have a long history; they were around as much as 6,000 years ago when early Scandinavians used them to hunt game.
Norwegian Elkhound Facts
- An Elkhound's Norwegian name, Norsk Eighund, means Norwegian moose dog.
- Elkhounds weigh between 48 and 55 pounds.
- Norwegian Elkhounds live 12–14 years.
- The Norwegian Elkhound is the National Dog of Norway.
- The dog first appeared in a dog show in 1877.
- Dog Breed Group: Hound Group
Some Thoughts About Naming Your Dog
There are lots of ways to go about naming your dog. Below is some food for thought when you are trying to come up with that perfect name.
- Names based on Norse mythology: Norse mythology is a great place to look for names for your dog. The gods, goddesses, and places in this rich mythos are full of name options. Think Fenrir, Freya, Odin, or Thor.
- Names based on coat color and type: Your Elkhound has a very distinctive silvery-grey coat. She has both a thicker undercoat and an upper coat that includes long, dark guard hairs. Use your dog's coat as inspiration for some names. You could try Silver, Wolf, or Smoke, to name a few.
- Names based on personality: Your Elkhound has been blessed with a personality that's both playful and protective. He is a guardian, but he's also part of the family too. He's also an excellent hunting dog. Think about using a name that reflects his personality like Tracker, Watch, or Moose.
- Names based on Norway: Norway is a beautiful land full of rugged coastlands, icy fjords, and thousands of islands. This northern treasure is a great source of inspiration for names for your dog. Think Ice, Stone, and Midnight (for land of the Midnight Sun).
Inspiring Elkhound Names
More Names for Your Norwegian Elkhound
Best of luck choosing a name for your Elkhound! With the help of this guide and your reflection, your new best friend will surely love their name.
Read More From Pethelpful
© 2014 Teeuwynn Woodruff
ur mom on April 11, 2020:
i like moose the best
Weirdo person on July 09, 2019:
Sombody on June 03, 2019:
I'm just here because I like elkhounds
Teeuwynn Woodruff (author) from Washington State on August 11, 2018:
Totally understand. They really are the most wonderful dogs. So sorry for your loss.
Mar'en on August 02, 2018:
Best dog ever. I miss her so much
nate on November 28, 2017: