I've grown up with dogs my whole life, but they have all belonged to family and friends. My dream is to one day have a pup of my own.
Popular Pet Names From the Harry Potter World
- Fluffy: Hagrid's three-headed dog.
- Padfoot: Sirius' marauder name.
- Sirius: Harry's godfather who can turn into a dog.
- Norbert: Hagrid's pet dragon.
- Fang: Hagrid's bloodhound.
- Dobby: Heroically loyal house elf.
- Fawkes: Dumbledore's highly-intelligent phoenix.
- Lupin: Remus Lupin is Harry's former teacher, Harry's dad's friend, and a werewolf.
- Ravenclaw: A House of Hogwarts that values cleverness.
- Pixie: A tiny magical troublemaker.
Funny Harry Potter Dog Names
These hilarious names are puns inspired by characters and themes from the book.
- Hairy Pupper
- Pansy Barkison
- Aberforth: Albus Dumbledore's brother and member of the original Order of the Phoenix. His patronus is a goat. Perfect for a goat-like dog, like the Bedlington Terrier.
- Alastor: Also known as Mad Eye or Professor Moody, Alastor taught defense against the dark arts at Hogwarts and was a pivotal member of the original Order of the Phoenix.
- Albus: Also known as Professor Dumbledore. Perfect for a wise and tranquil puppy.
- Alecto: A Death Eater and professor of Muggle Studies.
- Alohomora: A spell that unlocks and opens doors and windows that are not protected by magic. A suitable name for a dog who likes to sneak out the house.
- Amelia Bones: Head of the Department of Magical Law Enforcement, she cleared Harry Potter of all charges.
- Amos: A wizard who worked for the Department for the Regulation and Control of Magical Creatures. His son was killed by Lord Voldemort.
- Angelina: Angelina Johnson was the captain of the Gryffindor Quidditch team in her seventh year. She is also married to George Weasley.
- Animagus: This is the term for a witch or wizard who can morph him or herself into an animal.
- Antonin: Antonin Dolohov was one Voldemort's original death eaters.
- Arabella: She was a Squib, a dealer of cross-bred cats and kneazles. She used to babysit Harry Potter.
- Aragog: He was Hagrid's Acromantula, a species of flesh-eating spiders.
- Dumbledore: Inspired by Professor Albus Dumbledore.
- Arithmancy: A discipline that studies numerology for the purpose of predicting the future.
- Azkaban: A fortress on an island in the middle of the North Sea. Is the site of the Prison of Azkaban.
- Augusta: Neville Longbottom's grandmother.
- Auror: An elite group of witches and wizards who are part of the Ministry of Magic and fight against the Dark Arts.
- Bartemius/Barty: A Ministry of Magic official who was known to be ruthless. Also the antagonist in Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire.
- Bagshot: Professor Bathilda Bagshot was a magical historian who wrote A History of Magic, which was taught at Hogwarts.
- Beedle: A collection of children's fairytales written by wizards and witches.
- Bellatrix: A witch and death eater loyal to Lord Voldemort.
- Black/Blackie: For Sirius Black.
- Bloody Baron: A ghost of Slytherin House who continues to haunt Hogwarts.
- Boggart: A shape-shifter who takes on the form of the viewer's worst fear.
- Bones: For Amelia Bones, who was Head of the Department of Magical Law Enforcement.
- Buckbeak: Hagrid's hippogriff.
- Crookshanks: Hermione Granger's pet cat.
- Death Eater: A follower of Lord Voldemort.
- Diagon: For Diagon Alley.
- Diggle: A member of the Order of the Phoenix who fought against Lord Voldemort.
- Diggory: Cedric Diggory was a Hufflepuff student who was killed by Voldemort.
- Dobby: A house elf who served the Malfoy family but was later freed by Harry Potter.
- Draco: For Draco Malfoy, Harry's arch-nemisis.
- Dudley: Harry's obese cousin. A great name for a portly dog.
- Fang: Hagrid's boarhound who accompanied him in the Second Wizarding War.
- Fawkes: Dumbledore's highly intelligent phoenix.
- Figg: Inspired by Arabella Fig, a dealer of cross-bred cats and kneazles and a member of the Order of the Phoenix.
- Filch: A Squib and the caretaker of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. He wandered the halls of Hogwarts with his cat Mrs. Norris.
- Fleur: A French witch who was a champion in the Triwizard Tournament.
- Flitwick: Filius Flitwick was part-goblin and part-wizard. He was the Charms Master at Hogwarts and Head of Ravenclaw House.
- Fluffy: A giant three-headed dog that guarded the philosopher's stone.
- Gellert: A very dangerous wizard.
- Gideon: A member of the original Order of the Phoenix.
- Gilderoy: Chief villain in Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets.
- Ginny: Ron's sister, an important member in Dumbledore's Army. She's becomes a professional Quidditch player.
- Godric: Founder of Hogwarts.
- Gornuk: Goblic, formerly of Gringotts.
- Grawp: Hagrid's enourmous half-brother.
- Grey Lady: Ravenclaw's resident ghost.
- Gribbly-Plank: Substitute professor at Hogwarts.
- Grimmauld: For Grimmauld Place.
- Gringotts: Wizarding bank.
- Griphook: Goblin, formerly of Gringotts.
- Gryffindor: A Hogwarts house, named for founder Godric.
- Hagrid: Gamekeeper at Hogwarts, and a loyal friend.
- Hallow: For the Deathly Hallows.
- Harry: Titular character, and likely an appropriate homonym.
- Hedwig: Harry's loyal pet owl.
- Hermione: The brighter of Harry's two best friends, and the series' main heroine.
- Hoggy: Affectionate nickname for Hogwarts.
- Hogsmeade: The only 100% magical town in Britain.
- Hogwarts: Premier source of magical education in the world, and the setting for many adventures.
- Horcrux: Object containing a piece of the maker's soul.
- Hufflepuff: Hogwarts house, named for founder Helga.
- Longbottom: Surname of loyal Neville, one of Harry's oldest, truest, and bravest friends.
- Lovegood: Surname of loyal Luna, one of Harry's most peculiar friends whose father published the magazine The Quibbler.
- Lucius: Father of Harry's teenaged arch-nemesis Draco Malfoy, and a known rich person and Death Eater.
- Luna: First name of one of Harry's most peculiar friends.
- Lupin: Surname of Remus, werewolf, professor, and original Marauder.
- Mad-Eye Moody: One of the most successful aurors in history who at one point led the Order.
- Malfoy: Surname of Harry's teenaged arch-nemesis, later a known Death Eater.
- Minerva: First name of Professor McGonagall, portrayed in the films by Dame Maggie Smith.
- Muggle: Term, occasionally affectionate, for those with no magical ability and little to no involvement with the magical world.
- Mundungus Fletcher: Scumbag member of the Order who unwittingly played important roles in several of the Order's achievements.
- Mungo: For the wizarding hospital in London.
- Newt: For Newt Scamader.
- Nimbus: Manufacturer of Harry's first broomstick.
- Padfoot: Affectionate term for Sirius Black.
- Peverell: Inspired by the Tale of the Three Brothers who bore the family name, Peverell. They were the original masters of the Deathly Hallows.
- Pixie: A magical creature.
- Potter: An ancient wizarding family.
- Prongs: Affectionate term for James Potter.
- Puddlemere: For the professional Quidditch team, presumably.
- Quibbler: Magical publication run by Luna's Father, Xenophilius Lovegood.
- Quidditch: That most poopular magical sport, played on broomsticks. Currently available at the collegiate level.
- Ravenclaw: Hogwarts House, named for founder Rowena.
- Remus: An original Marauder and Hogwarts professor.
- Riddle: Before he was known as He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named, they called him Tom Riddle.
- Rufus Scimgeour: Minister of Magic, sometimes described as lion-like.
- Salazar: Founder of the Slytherin House of Hogwarts.
- Scabbers: Affectionate nickname given to the Weasley family rat.
- Scorpius: Draco's son.
- Seamus: One of Harry's Gryffindor colleagues. Probably Harry's most Irish friend.
- Severus: First name of Harry's mother's former suitor and longtime Potions professor at Hogwarts.
- Sirius: Harry's godfather, able to transform into a large black dog.
- Slughorn: Previous Potions master at Hogwarts, convinced by Harry to come out of retirement.
- Slytherin: Hogwarts House, named for founder Salazar.
- Snape: Surname of Harry's first Potions professor, and a protagonist of later works.
- Tiberius: Uncle of one of Hermione's well-connected romantic interests.
- Tonks: Andromeda Tonks was a Hufflepuff witch and ally of the Order of the Phoenix.
- Viktor Krum: An acclaimed international Quidditch player and Hermione's most interesting romance.
- Weasley: Surname of Harry's favorite wizard family.
- Yaxley: A common Death Eater.
Pawfesser Dumbleclaw on August 30, 2020:
The dog names are really cute
Meredith Grey on July 24, 2020:
these dog names are so cute
Zoey on July 11, 2020:
I am thinking about getting a ferret and i am gonna call him Nimbus or Firebolt!
Sanvi V. on July 06, 2020:
Ahh, yes, Peeves is adorable! Wish I could reply to you, Alexis, but I dunno how... Nice name options, we are planning to get a little pooch
Alexis on June 27, 2020:
I think that Peeves is a good name for a truble maker dog!
Hi on June 02, 2020:
I like Dobby and I think dogwarts is cute but i wouldn't name my dog it.
EVE on May 07, 2020:
I LOVE HARRY POTTER AND I HAVE A GREAT PYRENEES CALLED DUMBLEDORE LIKE HIS BIG WHITE BEARD!!!!!
Ashe on April 21, 2020:
Recommended for You
I LOVE THIS!!! But I would love even more names! If you could, TYSM!!
Snape on April 08, 2020:
"After All This Time? Always."
If one only re embers on April 04, 2020:
Mine’s Padfoot the border collie
Anon on April 01, 2020:
I'm getting a puppy in a few weeks and I am gonna namer her Luna
meyle on March 30, 2020:
i called my dog severus.
i love this name so much and before i didnt even know its the name of snape but when i watched harry potter i thougt lol he is called like my dog
Liz on March 17, 2020:
Thinking about getting a ferret and think weasley is the cuttest
nati on February 26, 2020:
Loved Harry Pupper
huffy doog on November 09, 2019:
i searched bunny names to get dog names?
anonomys on August 02, 2019:
you should do Azcabone!
Yanny on July 29, 2019:
I love Harry poteeetrrr
Askly on December 26, 2018: