Barbara Fitzgerald is an AKC Breeder of Merit and author of the column "Conversations with Champions" for the BCSA magazine, Borderlines.
Irish Spotting Coloration and White Footed Dogs
Irish spotting is a coat pattern we see on many of the Herding and Sporting dogs. The pattern is predominantly a solid color, brown, red, gold or black, trimmed with white markings. Traditional Irish spotting includes a white ruff (the collar and bib) extending down to white front legs, and half white hind feet or hocks. The dog may or may not have a white blaze across the muzzle and forehead.
In the list of dog breeds with white feet at the end of the article, we have excluded entirely white dogs from the list. Not all of the breeds listed will always have white feet, but white legs or paws are typical of these breeds.
Game Names for Black and White Dogs
These game inspired names are derived from classic games of strategy and chance using black and white game pieces.
- Boggle—White cubes with black letters - player compete to see who can create the most words from the letter thrown.
- Catan—A dice game were players roll six dice for chances to roll for resources to build roadways, settlement and cities in the Settlers of Catan Universe.
- Chess—Ultimate strategy games played on a black and white board with opposing black or white players.
- Dice—White cubes with black spots used for casting lots in the Bible and Guys and Dolls musicals.
- Domino—Chinese black and white tiles that can be used in a variety of games.
- Farkle—Dice game where six dice are thrown from a cup.
- Kismet—Dice Game similar to Yahtzee.
- Scrabble—Black and white tile game where players compete for points by building esoteric words on the Scrabble board.
- Yahtzee—Dice game
Names For Dog With White Feet Insired By Famous Panda Bears
Giant Pandas are adored the world over, and each of these famous Panda Bears has his or her own fan club. Pandas appear to have an unusual naming convention; their names are always given in duplicate, for example, Ling-Ling. Panda itself makes a cute name for a black and white dog.
- An An—Moscow Zoo resident of the 1960s.
- Bao Bao—The Smithsonian's National Zoo Giant Panda cub. Bao Bao has been made a superstar by the invention of the webcam. Panda lovers can tune in 24 x 7 to see this cub grow and discover life.
- Chi-Chi—London Zoo resident from 1958-1972. Her image became the World Wildlife's Emblem.
- Chia Chia—Female Panda Bear and resident of the London Zoo.
- Ching Ching—Male Panda residing in the London zoo with Chia Chia. Sadly they failed to conceive any baby pandas.
- Ling Ling—Gifted to Japan by the Chinese as an act of friendship, Ling Ling means darling girl, although Ling Ling was actually a male panda.
The Panda Triplets—Born in 2014, these giant pandas recently received their names: Meng Meng, meaning adorable, Shuai Shuai, meaning handsome, and Ku Ku which means cool.
Yummy Names for Dogs With White Paws
These delicious dog names are inspired by black and white and chocolate and white treats and candies.
- Blackjack—Blackjack old fashioned taffy.
- Klondike—Vanilla ice cream coated with dark chocolate ganache.
- Magnum—Vanilla ice cream coated with dark chocolate coating.
- Mounds—Dark Chocolate on the outside, refreshing coconut on the inside.
- Oreo—regularly one of the most popular dog names in the United States.
- S'mores—The marshmallow, chocolate and graham cracker fireside treat.
- Snickers—Chocolate outside, light nougat inside.
- York—York Peppermint Patties are dark chocolate outside and cool white peppermint inside.
- Zero—White chocolate candy bar with a dark chocolate inside.
Dog Names Inspired by Formal Wear
The Irish spotting pattern evokes images of tuxedos on men and long white opera gloves on elegantly attired ladies.
Formal Wear Names for Male Dogs With White Feet
- Anorak—Frock coat
- Crosswyck—Formal Collar that crosses in the front and is held in place with a glossy button.
- Mackinaw—Synonym for Tuxedo
- Mandarin—Type of Tuxedo Jacket
- Nehru—Type of Tuxedo Jacket
- Ulster—Victorian coat style with a cape over the shoulders.
Penguin Suit Inspired Names for Male Dogs
These penguin varieties make cute name for male dogs with white markings:
- Snares (Snares Island)
A New Spin on Traditional White Foot Names
List of Dog Breeds With White Feet
American Staffordshire Terrier
Bernese Mountain Dog
Cardigan Welsh Corgy
Cavalier King Charles Spaniel
Rough and Smooth Collie
English and American Foxhound
English Springer Spaniel
Grand Basset Griffon Vendeen
Greater Swiss Mountain Dog
Irish Red and White Setter
Karelian Bear Dog
Miniature American Shepherd
Nova Scotia Duck Toller
Old English Sheepdog
Parsons Russell Terrier
Pembroke Welsh Corgy
Petit Basset Griffon Vendeer
Polish Lowland Sheepdog
Portuguese Podengo Pequeno
Rafiero Do Alentejo
Russell Terrier (Jack Russell)
Small Munsterland Pointer
Smooth Fox Terrier
Toy Fox Terrier
Tree Walker Coonhound
Welsh Springer Spaniel
Wire Fox Terrier
You may also enjoy these articles
- Names for Black Puppies | 80 Unique Names for Black Dogs
From Pilgrims, to Beatniks, to Goths, black has always been, and will forever remain the penultimate fashion statement. These unique names will celebrate your new black puppies darkness!
- 50 Unexpected Names For Dogs With Blue Eyes
Names specifically for dogs with blue eyes. Blue is a mystical color, warding off evil and misfortune. These blue names exalt your best friend's unparalleled position as family protector and talisman.
olivia cullen on November 11, 2017:
aww so cute
Michelle B- Grand on November 10, 2015:
Michelle B- Grand on November 10, 2015:
wow that dog looks kind of like my dog except that she has shorter hair
Barbara Fitzgerald (author) from Georgia on November 09, 2015:
Thanks Michelle - That is Smitty, the start of it all!
Michelle B- Grand on November 06, 2015: