Barbara Fitzgerald is an AKC Breeder of Merit and author of the column "Conversations with Champions" for the BCSA magazine, "Borderlines."
Looking for a strong, regal name for your female guard dog, but Princess seems a little small, tired and overused?
Consider these powerful, noble names for your loyal guard dog that evoke protection and medieval majesty for your new defender of the family pack.
Strong Names for Guardian Dogs From Famous Female Warriors
- Aegea—Greek. Aegea is Queen of the Amazons, who were long thought to be mythical. Recent excavations of kurgan burial mounds in the Steppes reveal that the Scythian women fought alongside the men, on horseback, with small bows and arrows. It appears that they invented trousers or brightly colored leggings, tattooed themselves with images of animals and important life events, and enjoyed the benefits of cannabis on a regular basis. All men and women were buried with hemp and a means to smoke it. Other Amazon names include Ainia, Areto, Clete, Cyme, Helene and Smyrna.
- Boudicca—Celtic, As cruel as any man, Queen of the Iceni, Boudicca led a rebellion against the Romans, and razed London in the process.
- Joan—French. Joan of Arc, Jeanne D'Arc, claimed to have visions of the Archangel Michael among others. Initially, her visions and their directives were dismissed. Yet, once her influence in the Battle of Orleans lead to a nine-day conclusion of the battle, she was taken more seriously by the establishment. By seventeen years of age, Joan had become very influential in the French Army, where her talent as a leader was for strategy over slaying. Eventually, she was captured and tried by the English as a heretic, then burned at the stake. Joan has since been canonized as a saint by the Catholic Church. Name your girl dog Joan if you want an intuitive family defender.
- Kenau—Dutch. Kenau Simonsdochter Hasselaer was a Dutch folk hero, famed for her ferocious defense of the city of Haarlem against Spanish invaders.
- Nora—Albanian. Nora of Kelmendi is famed for her great beauty that sparked a war, as well as her valor as a warrior. Trained as a youth to fight in battle, Nora grew up to be the most beautiful woman of the region. A Turkish pasha fell in love with her and demanded her hand in marriage. When he was refused, he vowed to burn the Albanian village to the ground. Nora led 300 to fight the Turkish army of 12,000. She met her would-be suitor on the battlefield, and slew him in a duel.
- Olga—Ukrainian. Princess Olga was the wife of King Igor, slain by a tribe of Devlyane. Olga avenged her husband's death mercilessly. She buried twenty Devlyane ambassadors alive, set fire to a bathhouse filled with their ambassadors, then after arranging for their 5,000 troupes to lie in a drunken stupor, had her army beset and slay them.
Names for Tough Female Dogs
These formidable female dog names will strike fear in the hearts of men. Chosen from weaponry, mythology and popular culture, everyone will know your strong female dog is one tough dame.
- Elle Driver
- Poison Ivy
Strong Female Dog Names That Mean Protector
- Alastair— Scottish. Means "man's defender."
- Alexis—Greek. Derived from the Greek male name Alex, it means "man's defender."
- Alvira/Alvera—German. Alvira translates as "universal protector."
- Barbara—Diminutive forms include Barbie, Babs, Bonny, and Barbarella. Barbara means "defender against fire."
- Cass—Greek. Cass and Cassy mean "man's defender."
- Diva—The heroine and leading lady, often she is also a prima donna.
- Elmina—German. Elma, Hilma, and Elmina all mean 'determined defender."
- Jade—A stone imbued with the power to defend against disorders.
- Juno—Greek. Goddess and wife of Zeus, Juno is the protector of women.
- Lexie—Greek. Similar to Alexis, Lexie means "man's defender."
- Minna—German. Man's defender.
- Raina—German. Wise Guardian.
- Sasha—Russian. Derived from the Greek name, Sondra, Sasha means "man's defender."
- Selma—German. Selma is derived from Anselma, meaning "God's helmet."
- Willa—German. Determined protector.
Regal Names for Noble Female Guardian Dogs
- Aine—Irish. Old Irish name of the Queen of the Fairies of South Munster, it is pronounced AN-yuh. Aine means brilliance, radiance, joy, glory, splendor, and wit.
- Artis—Celtic. Means "lofty hill" and noble, an ideal name for a large female guard dog like a Great Pyrenees.
- Bai—Filipino. Local title for "princess."
- Carica—The Serbian title for "empress."
- Countessa—Italian. Italian version of Countess, wife of the Earl or Count, the second-highest rank of nobility after King and Duke.
- Dama—Italian. A noble "Lady."
- Dronning—Danish for "queen."
- Freyja—Norse. Goddess of love, fertility and battle. Name your female guard dog Freyja if you want a beautiful, loyal warrior companion.
- Keelie—Celtic. Means beautiful princess and beauty filled with grace.
- Lani—Hawaiian. Lani means "sky, heaven, royal, and majesty."
- Nana—Norse. Goddess of the moon, she symbolizes peace and joy.
- Patrizia—Italian. Female patrician of an important Italian city.
- Principessa—Italian. Meaning Princess.
- Rani—Indian for "queen."
- Regan—Celtic. Means royal and noble.
- Regina—Latin and Italian. The female version of Rex, Regina means "queen."
- Reine—French. The title for a French "queen."
- Tierney—Celtic. Means "noble," although it may also be the root of the modern word "tyranny," oppression by the ruling class.
- Sultana—Arabic. Meaning one who has power; it is the female equivalent of the Sultan and means queen.
Female Dog Names That Mean Loyal and Faithful
- Faith—English, means complete trust or confidence in someone.
- Fidelis—Latin, means fidelity.
- Leala—French, means loyal.
- Leya—Spanish, means faithful; also the name of the loyal, faithful and strong Star Wars princess.
- Mimi—French, means faithful guardian.
- Nakia—Arabic, means faithful.
- Nomsa—Zulu, means faithful and the caring one.
- Semper—Latin, means always faithful.
- Shelbie—American, means sweet and loyal.
- Shylah—Irish, means loyal.
- Token—English, means promise.
- Troth—English, Means pledge or oath.
- Vest—English, Means commitment.
Princess Puppy Names From Fairy Tales and Fiction
|Princess||Fairy Tale or Fable|
An Saxon princess in the Princess of Fire
The Princess Bride
Prisoner of Zenda
The Hero and the Crown
The King and I
The Princess and the Pea
The Swan Princess
The Thief and the Cobbler
© 2016 Barbara Fitzgerald
Read More From Pethelpful
Rose on November 06, 2019:
Our dog is Brilow brill-oh but we’re in the middle of getting a German Shepherd nine month old puppy
Grace on June 02, 2018:
Hey my dog will have black German shepherd puppies soon so what names will be good?
nana owusu on January 14, 2018:
From Ghana my pet is name dornning.
findorsa on December 12, 2017:
Bobalina on December 11, 2017:
can Alatuk be a girl name
solaras on December 05, 2017:
Hi Daren: Phantom might be nice. "Who knows what evil lurks in the heart of men? Only the Phantom knows." 1940s radio drama
Daren Brown on December 04, 2017:
Hey I need a name for my puppy amircan bully she’s is a Gray one with a white chest
Katherine on July 17, 2017:
Hey I need a female name for my dog. She is black with a patch of white on her chest and brown eyes. I was looking for something that would compliment her complextion maybe something beautiful in a foreign language. Please help me.
John on July 10, 2017:
Hi I'm getting a girl puppy in a couple of weeks and I need to pick a name. I'm trying to find a name that is feminine yet you can still tell she's a pitbull. She is a black dog with one white stripe from her nose to her forehead and some white on her chest in the shape of a "T". Does anyone have a good name suggestion? Thanks
Barbara Fitzgerald (author) from Georgia on July 06, 2017:
Hi Hunter: I have a great name for you: Dagny. Dagny Taggart is one of the main characters of Ayn Rand's Atlas Shrugged. She is shrewd and beyond competent to do any man's job. In German Dagna means Splendid Day, and Dagomar means Glorious Day. Dagny draws on German heritage, mythological association through Atlas Shrugged and is just a cute name to boot!
Hunter on July 06, 2017:
I'm getting a female pit bull in about 6 weeks I'm looking for a name that is fierce but still feminine. Anyone have an idea?
Barbara Fitzgerald (author) from Georgia on March 27, 2017:
Hi Amber: Consider the name Ajax. Greek hero of the Trojan War who was the second best looking and second best warrior after Achilles. He is the only major player in the war to emerge unscathed, all others are seriously wounded or killed.
Amber Carter on March 27, 2017:
i need a male name for my puppy that i am getting in about 6 weeks. it needs to be a tough kinda fierce but not too feirce. i was thinking of like Axel or Storm or something... has anyone got any ideas for me ? thanks
Willa on December 23, 2016:
Its a cute name