Top 10 Most Expensive Dog Breeds in India
When you are looking for a devoted, loving, and protective member for your extended family, the price is secondary. But paying more won't necessarily get you a better dog. Many excellent dogs are available at low prices. Also, you can save a great deal by adopting a dog.
You need to consider other factors also before making your choice: the dog's health issues, its suitability for your enviroment, and its grooming and training requirements.
Even to dog lovers who are ready to spend a lot to get a pure pedigree breed of their choice, cost will be a factor. Pure-breed or rare dogs are usually expensive; recently a Tibetan mastiff was sold in China for $2 million. Here is a list of the most expensive dogs in India.
10. Maltese Dog
The Maltese is a small, gentle and fearless dog, originating from the Mediterranean island nation of Malta. The Maltese is descended from a Spitz-type dog of prehistoric Swiss lake dwellers. The breed standard for this dog is very precise: dogs must have a black nose of button shape and brown eyes, and only white color is accepted, though a pale ivory tinge is permitted on the ears.
The Maltese was bred to be a companion and family dog. This dog is extremely lively, playful and intelligent. This breed is very affectionate and can suffer from separation anxiety. The Maltese dog has no undercoat, and so shedding is not a concern if the dog is cared for properly.
- Price in India: INR 50000–125000
- Origin: Mediterranean Basin
- Weight: Male: 3–4 kg; female: 3–4 kg
- Height: Male: 21–25 cm; female: 20–23 cm
- Temperament: Lively, playful, easygoing, gentle, docile
- Life span: 12–15 years
The boerboel is a big, strong and intelligent working dog from South Africa. The boerboel is also called South African boerboel, or South African mastiff. This is a strong, well balanced and muscular dog that has short, broad, square and muscular cheeks. It has a wide and strong black muzzle.
Though it has a ferocious look, it is a very reliable, obedient, loving and intelligent dog that always tries to keep his master happy. The boerboel is fearless, alert and very active by nature and thus a good watch dog. This breed is rarely available in India and is quite expensive.
- Price in India: INR 125000–225000
- Origin: South Africa
- Height: 60 to 70 cm (24 to 28 in)
- Weight: 50 to 100 kg (110 to 220 lbs)
- Temperament: Playful, lively, intelligent, fearless, dominant, protective
- Life Span: about 10-12 years
8. Afghan Hound
Afghan hounds are beautiful dogs, having long silky hair and and large feet and ears. Their proud posture makes them appear noble, striking and glamorous. They were bred from greyhounds to chase and hunt hares and gazelle, and are very athletic. The Afghan hound was bred in Afghanistan to chase down game over rough ground in a hot, dry environment.
They need consistent stretches and a long walk or run. They are aloof and don’t welcome other pets or strangers. They do not like guests to touch them.
- Price in India: INR 150000–400000
- Origin: Afghanistan, Iran, Pakistan
- Height: Male: 68–74 cm; female: 60–69 cm
- Temperament: Aloof, clownish, happy, dignified, independent
- Life Span: 12–14 years
7. Caucasian Mountain Shepherd Dog
The Caucasian shepherd is a tall, heavy and wide-headed dog, developed from the Molosser family of Caucasian mountain dogs, dogs with a long coat, heavy build and nomadic nature. This breed is also called Caucasian ovcharka, Caucasian mountain dog, Circassian sheepdog, or Armenian khobun dog.
Caucasian shepherds were bred by herders to protect livestock and flocks. The typical Caucasian Ovcharka is assertive, strong-willed and courageous. It an aloof and reserved dog that does not accept strangers and guests. It is very protective of its family, including children, cats, and other dogs, etc. Its first official show-ring appearance outside the Caucasus was in the 1930s in Germany, and it is now registered with most kennel clubs.
- Price in India: INR 150000–300000
- Origin: Russia, Georgia, Armenia, Azerbaijan
- Weight: Male: 70 kg (154 lb); female: 45 kg (99 lb)
- Height: Male: 68–75 cm (27–30 in); female: 64–70 cm (25–28 in)
- Temperament: Protective, intelligent, powerful, strong-willed, courageous
- Life Span: About 10-11 years
Tiger Meets Caucasian Ovcharka
6. Akita Inu
The Akita is a large and powerful dog which is always ready to accept a challenge. That makes it a fearless and loyal guardian of its family and an excellent watchdog. It was created for hunting wild boar, black bear, and deer.
The Akita is separated into two different categories: the original Akita (Akita Inu) which originated in Japan, and the other one from America. Japanese Akitas are bigger in size and are only allowed in certain colors. The American Akita doesn’t have color restrictions.
- Price in India: INR 150000 - 400000
- Origin: Japan
- Height: Male: 66–71 cm; female: 61–66 cm
- Weight: Male: 45–59 kg; female: 32–45 kg
- Temperament: Quiet, alert, friendly, responsive, strong, courageous
5. Newfoundland Dog
The Newfoundland is a large working dog from the coast of Newfoundland. It is acknowledged as one of the most intelligent dog breeds in the world. According to the breed standard, only black and white and black colors are recognised. Though chocolate and brown colors are very common, they are not accepted as breed standard in Canada or by any major kennel clubs.
This dog is known for its massive build and power. A Newfoundland is strong enough to drag a drowning man from a stormy sea. They have a dense, water-resistant, long outer coat that protects them in the water. This breed is admired for its friendliness toward humans.
- Price in India: INR 200000–350000
- Origin: Coast of Newfoundland
- Weight: Male 60–70 kg (32–154 lb); female: 45–55 kg (100–121 lb)
- Height: Male: 75 cm (30 in); female: 68 cm (27 in)
- Life span: 8–10 years
4. Alaskan Malamute
Alaskan malamutes are giant and powerful dogs bred for hauling freight and pulling sleds. This breed is not suitable for hot weather or apartment living. They love outdoor activities and are a great watchdog. They are calm and friendly by nature, but very aggressive to other dogs of the same sex. Even two malamutes of the same sex are not recommended to be kept together. This breed is not recommended for a weak or inexperienced owner; they have a very strong tendency to compete for pack leadership.
- Price in India: INR 200000–350000
- Origin: Alaskan region
- Height: Male: 61–66 cm; female: 56–61 cm
- Weight: Male: 36–43 kg; female: 32–38 kg
- Temperament: Friendly, powerful, dominant, clever, loyal
3. Tibetan Mastiff
The Tibetan mastiff is a large mountain dog from the Himalayan region. It originated with nomadic cultures of Tibet, Nepal, India and China as a guard dog for property and livestock. This is a stubborn, dominant. and strong-willed dog, with a reserved temperament, aloof with strangers and guests. Even though it’s an intelligent and protective dog it needs a firm owner and early socialization. A Tibetan mastiff rarely welcomes other dogs or pets in his territory. This breed is well admired for its courage and aggressive nature. Two Tibetan mastiffs can take down a lion or tiger.
The Tibetan mastiff is one of the most costly breeds in the world. Recently a Tibetan mastiff was sold in China for $2 million (~INR 12500000). However, in India, Tibetan mastiffs are quite low-priced, because of their native availability and the presence of similar local breeds like Indian mastiff, Himachali gaddi, and Bhutia dog.
- Price in India: INR 200000–500000
- Origin: Tibet
- Height: Male: 66–76 cm; female: 61–71 cm
- Weight: Male: 45.4–72.6 kg; female: 34–54.4 kg
- Temperament: Stubborn, dominant, strong-willed, loyal, intelligent, courageous
2. English Mastiff
The English mastiff is a giant, gentle dog with a massive head, a black mask, and a silver-fawn, fawn, or dark fawn coat. Though it originated in England for use as a ferocious war dog, currently English mastiffs are recognized today loyal, gentle dogs with a loving nature.
The English mastiff is protective of its owner and family. It has a very powerful bite and loud bark. But it rarely bites and barks only when necessary. It has a tendency to growl like a wolf. Like most other Molosser-type dogs, the English mastiff drools and snores. The English mastiff is admired for its caring and loving nature with children and welcoming attitude towards other small pets.
- Price in India: INR 500000–1000000
- Origin: England
- Weight: Male: 72.6–104.3 kg; female: 54.4–77.1 kg
- Height: Male: 70–91 cm; female: 70–91 cm,
- Temperament: Protective, good-natured, calm, courageous, dignified, affectionate
1. Red Nose Pit Bull Terrier
The American pit bull terrier is a medium-sized muscular dog in the Molosser group, originating from England and Ireland. They are strong, well-built, and courageous dogs, with enormous stamina and a powerful bite. But they are good with children, and very loyal and protective of their owners. Basically, they were bred for bull baiting and to guard farms. They excel in weight pulling, high jumping and chasing games, and they do well in obedience training.
- Price in India: INR 75000–1500000
- Origin: United Kingdom, Ireland
- Mass: 16–30 kg (adult male)
- Height: 50 cm (adult)
- Temperament: Strong-willed, obedient, loyal, friendly, clownish, stubborn, courageous, aggressive, intelligent, affectionate
Would you like to pet a pit bull terrier?
Which dog is your choice?
© 2015 ARADHYA