List of Toxic Human Foods Your Dog Cannot Eat
What Can Your Dog Eat?
The following is everything that would harm my dog Emily if she ingested any of it. However, keep in mind that this list is not all inclusive. We will continue to add more as we find more, please feel free to let us know if there is anything we can add.
I have always said, "Dogs should have been named pigs, and pigs, dogs." Dogs will eat just about anything, and then vomit. It seems like the stinkier it is, the more they like it, especially for a nice long roll in the latest smelly adventure. (Emily just sneered in response to this statement and gave Bella, our puggle, a high paw.)
Most of the foods on the list are perfectly fine for human consumption, but not for your dog. A lot of the ingredients on the list are in a slice of pizza . . . yikes. (I know Emily has eaten her share of pizza. She just perked up at the mention of the word.)
Important note: If your dog is vomiting or has diarrhea for more than a day, this is cause to take notice and call your vet right away. Your dog is trying to pass whatever the problem is. It could be something lodged in the digestive system or potentially be a fatal situation. Dehydration is also a major concern for this type of situation.
Harmful or Fatal Foods for Dogs
Use this list as a guide to keep your dog from eating human foods that are harmful to their health and possibly fatal.
- Avocado. All parts of this fruit contain Persin (a natural fungicidal toxin) which causes vomiting and Diarrhea. When ingested in large quantities, can be fatal.
- Baby food-.Some preparations contain onion powder (see onion).
- Bones, cooked. Cooked bones became brittle, even those that have been grilled. I made this mistake with Emily this year with a yummy steak bone. She loved it, but it was a trip to the vet and a $150 mistake. She had to be on meds for a week. Never again. Stick to the bones from pet stores.
- Bones, raw. Besides containing various bacteria contaminations, these bones splinter and cause havoc in the intestinal tract, possibly piercing and tearing other organs. This means potential risks for surgeries and intestinal major infections.
- Bones, fish. Never give your pup these small bones. It could lead to potential piercing and obstruction in the throat, intestines, and colon.
- Cat food. Cat food is generally too high in protein and fats as a regular diet. High fats cause issues with a dog's digestive system, especially the liver.
- Chocolate, coffee, tea or other caffeinated products. These products contain: caffeine, theobromine/xantheose (bitter alkaloid of the cacao plant), theophylline (found in teas similar to caffeine). These components cause vomiting and diarrhea, and are toxic to the heart and nervous system. Dogs could die within hours of ingestion. A one ounce serving of dark chocolate will poison a 30 pound dog. They will have rapid heart beats with a small amount of caffeine ingested. Please hide the trick or treat bag and valentine heart from your dog—there are other holidays for them to celebrate.
- Coins. A penny contains zinc, causing kidney failure and damage to red blood cells. If the penny is not removed, the dog can become very sick and could die.
- Citrus oils. This can cause vomiting. (I do not know of any dog purposely eating this, but if they raid the trash, a couple orange peels could get ingested). Watch the pulp in juices.
- Fat trimmings. Your dog loves a tasty piece of fat from your steak on occasion, but too much fat can cause pancreatitis, as well as obesity that leads to other major illnesses.
- Fish, raw, cooked, or canned. Feeding high amounts of fish products can cause vitamin B (Thiamin) deficiency. Symptoms include a loss of appetite, seizures, and death.
- Grapes/raisins/currants. One or two grapes would likely be ok, but a doctors report recently read stated that large quantities can lead to kidney damage from an unknown natural substance in these fruits that the kidneys must process. Some have had to be euthanized as a result of eating a bunch off the vine. Watch dry cereals and the baby feeding your dog raisins off the tray. They love to do it.
- Hops. Dogs love beer, but please dispose of hops from homemade brews in the trash and not the garden if you have a dog. I've read about some large breeds that have had a fatal toxic reaction that triggered the onset of Malignant Hyperthermia (where the body uncontrollably overheats and they die). If your dog is panting profusely, look for an underlying cause.
- Human vitamins. Never give vitamins intended for humans. The iron causes damage to the intestinal lining and is toxic to the liver and kidneys. Watch our for children who will feed your dog their Flintstone chewables!
- Macadamia nuts. I don't know about you, but my dog Emily is not getting my share of these anyway! An unknown chemical in these delectables will produce ataxia (wobbly) depression, vomiting, muscle tremors, hyperthermia, weakness, rapid heartbeat, and possibly shock. Kidney failure can also occur.
- Marijuana. Just being around humans who are using this product causes 99% depressed nervous system (brain on drugs), 30% of the time vomiting, and a change in heart rate. If ingested, it can cause more severe symptoms including urinary incontinence.
- Mistletoe. Good thing it grows high on trees, because just one berry can be fatal. Please do not bring these into the house for the holidays if you have pets or babies that will put things into their mouth.
- Nutmeg. This spice in large doses can cause tremors, seizures, and death.
- Milk/dairy products. Some dogs are lactose intolerant or have an allergic reaction to dairy products in general. They can develop vomiting and diarrhea. Dehydration can also occur.
- Moldy/spoiled food. There are multiple toxins here affecting body systems. Vomiting and diarrhea can cause dehydration and potential organ failures.
- Mushrooms. Some can contain toxins affecting multiple organs to fail. Never feed a dog mushrooms or if you suspect they have eaten any from the yard, call the vet. The poisonous type will cause death in very short time.
- Onion and garlic. Raw, powder, or cooked all contain natural chemical sulfoxides and Disulfides with can damage the red blood cells in dogs causing Hemelytic anemia. This is a very bad thing.
- Persimmons. Their seeds can cause intestinal obstruction and enteritis (inflammation of small intestine).
- Pits, fruit. Besides causing the obvious throat and intestinal obstruction, most pits contain cyanide which is poisonous for your pet.
- Raw eggs and shells. They contain avidin (a tetrameric biotin-binding protein produced in oviducts of birds), which leads to a decrease of biotin in blood. Despite the popular belief that raw eggs are good for their coat and skin, this is not worth it. Also there's the potential of Salmonella contamination.
- Raw meat. With raw meat there's a possibility of bacterial infection due to E. coli and Salmonella bacterias. Dehydration from vomiting and diarrhea can be severe from infection or from spoiled food.
- Rhubarb/tomato/potato leaves. These plant parts contain oxalates, which affect the digestive tract, nervous system, and urinary tract.
- Salt. High levels cause electrolyte imbalance. Watch for foods high in salt—so go light on those potato chips that I know you are feeding your dog. :)
- Sugary foods. This can cause obesity, dental problems, and possibly diabetes.
- Table scraps. Should never exceed 10% of the diet and certainly not include any of the foods on this list. Fat should be trimmed from meats if feeding scraps regularly, and again, watch out for the other ingredients on this list.
- Tobacco. Nicotine, like caffeine, will be fatal in high amounts. A small amount will cause a rapid heart rate and possible heart damage.
- Walnuts. It's not the walnut itself, but the fungus mold that grows on a wet walnut that can be fatal. Vomiting, tremors, drooling, lack of coordination, lethargy, loss of appetite, and jaundice indications are to be taken very seriously.
- Xylitol. This is a sugarless natural substitute originally created to sweeten gum, candy, mints, and is now found in many other foods. It can be fatal to your dog. It causes a sudden drop in blood sugar and could lead to extreme hypoglycemia, vomiting, weakness, liver failure, and even death. Check labels of foods to be sure you do not give your dog a treat that is perfectly fine for you to eat, but fatal for them. Again, this bears repeating: little children love to share treats with a dog, so watch out!
New Puppy Tips
Emily and I suggest these tips, especially for a new puppy.
- Do not bring home foods that are pet toxic. But if you must, keep them out of reach.
- Be firm and refuse to share those toxic treats.
- Keep the trash secure at all times.
- Do not compost anything in your garden that can become a tasty snack.
- Always, always, always give your dog something they are allowed to chew. Emily likes those large raw hides or a real processed bone purchased from PetSmart (these bones clean teeth in an awesome way).
- When cleaning bedding, wash it separately with very low detergent in hot water. If your dog is skin sensitive to detergents, double rinse.
- Never leave a baby or young children alone with your dog! They could feed your dog everything from toxic food to small toys. Dog will also lick baby clean of all toxins.
This article is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge. It is not meant to substitute for diagnosis, prognosis, treatment, prescription, or formal and individualized advice from a veterinary medical professional. Animals exhibiting signs and symptoms of distress should be seen by a veterinarian immediately.