Best Japanese Dog Names For A Tosa, Akita, Or Shiba Inu
Are you looking for an authentic Japanese name for your authentic Japanese dog?
The Shiba Inu was bred to hunt small game, the Akita was bred to hunt large game like boar, and the Tosa? The Tosa is so big that all he is good for is pushing around other dogs in the ring. They may vary in size, and they may vary in purpose, but they are all Japanese, and all of these names are great for Japanese dogs.
This list contains mostly names with two syllables, and a few with one syllable. There are a lot of Japanese names with three and four syllables—fine but nothing you should expect a dog to answer to during training. If you want one of those names you´ll need to look elsewhere.
If you want an authentic Japanese name here are some good choices. First on the list are some great Japanese names that are given to boys and girls. The Japanese word is on the left (in bold) and the English translation is on the right.
· Hiro: This means generous.
· Kin: Gold
· Masa: Elegant
· Michi: Pathway
· Nori: The law
· Sora: The sky
· Yori: Public servant
· Yuki: Snow
· Yoshi: Nice
Names for girls that describe your dog:
· Bunko: Daughter who enjoys literature
· Kami: Daughter with a long life
· Kimi: A noble daughter
· Mana: Affectionate daughter
· Miko: Beautiful daughter
· Riko: A daughter like jasmine
· Yoko: Sunny daughter
· Yuko: Helpful daughter
Names for boys, with great character:
· Goro: The fifth son
· Jiro: The second son
· Juro: The tenth son. This would be a good name for a puppy from a REALLY big litter.
· Kenji: A healthy second son
· Koji: The shining second son
· Kuro: The ninth son
· Shiro: The fourth son
· Taro: The oldest son
· Toshi: Alert and intelligent son
· Yuji: A brave son
Some other great names:
· Fuji: Wealthy
· Ichi: The number one
· Jishin: Earthquake. I like this for a Tosa or big Akita puppy who lumbers around the house.
· Kami: Hair. How about a hairy dog?
· Katsu: Victory
· Kazi: Wind
· Kenta : This is a great name for a Tosa since it means big and strong.
· Kiri: Foggy
· Kuro: Black
· Goji: Five o´clock, as in “Its five o´clock somewhere”.
· Neru: To sleep.
· Shima: Island
· Shiro: White
· Uki: Big
Female names for common objects:
· Chika: Scattered flowers
· Gina: Silver
· Hana: A flower
· Hoshi: Star
· Kiku: The crysanthenum flower
· Mika: Perfume
· Momo: Peach. This sounds like a perfect name for a playful Shiba Inu puppy.
· Saki: Blossom
· Sango: Coral
· Shika: A deer
· Shinju: Pearl
· Suzu: A bell
· Umi: Plum blossom
More About Dogs...
- Best Dog Names from Brazil
Does your new puppy lie around the house most of the day? Does she seem more interested in her pedicure than her new toy? If your dog jumps up into the hammock every chance she gets, maybe she should have a Brazilian name.
- Tough and Badass Dog Names | Outlaws and Gangstas
Some dogs are outlaws—some just jump on their bikes and pretend to be. One of these names will be the perfect accessory to make your dog tough. Or at least sound tough!
- Japanese Tosa Dog Breed
The Japanese Tosa was bred to wrestle like a Sumo. Find out more about this great dog breed.
Names for the seasons:
· Aki: For a male or female; it means Autumn
· Kiko: A daughter of the spring
· Shiki: Four seasons
Some good animal names:
· Kuma: Bear
· Tora: Tiger
· Washi: Eagle
And don´t foget about:
· Inu: Dog
I hope you found several names you like. If you choose to use a three-syllable name not on this list, you should call your dog only the first part of it so that your training sessions will go smoothly.
Since you are not writing your dog´s name in Japanese script, do not expect the pronunciation to be perfect. Don´t worry about it. Just have fun with your new puppy.
Good luck with your Japanese dog.