Cool Authentic Russian Dog Names for a Siberian Husky
Are you looking for a special name for your Siberian Husky? You might think it is okay to name your dog Balto or Yukon, and if you feel that way your dog will not mind. (Don´t be surprised if you run into other Siberians at the dog park with the same name, however. Whatever you do don´t name him Charlie, since about half the dogs at the park will respond when you call.)
This list will not include any long words that are not appropriate for your dog. The word “Kamchatka” is a peninsula in eastern Siberia and it sounds great—unfortunately, no dog is going to respond to a word that long. There are many other names that are fine in some languages and not good in Russian and the native Siberian tongues.
If you want a special name for your Siberian Husky, here are some good suggestions:
I had named all of my dogs after locations in Siberia but since most of them were hard to pronounce we ended up using nicknames.
- Buryat – a republic
- Kara-a sea
- Novaya (use the nickname Nova)-an island in the Arctic sea
- Novosibersk (use the nickname Novo for a boy, Nova for a girl)- a city in Siberia
- Omsk-a city on the Transiberian railroad
- Taishet (use the nickname Tasha)-another city on the Transiberian railroad
- Tobolsk (Toby would be a good nickname)-an ancient fortress in Siberia
- Tomsk-another city close to the Transiberian railroad
- Ugra-the native word for all of Siberia from the northern Ural mountains to the Arctic Sea. The dogs we know as Siberian Huskies are actually Ugra Huskies, but since Ugra is also an Indian word I think Siberia would have easily won out.
How about mountain ranges?
- Ural mountains
Rivers in Siberia can also be a great source of names.
- Kolyma (Kola is a good nickname)
- Yana river
The tribes of Siberia can also provide some great names for your dog:
- Chuckchi - most Siberians come from this tribe,so it is a great authentic name
- Koryaks-a tribe in the far east, mostly found on the Kamchatka peninsula
- Mansi-one of the tribes found in the Ugra region, far north where Siberian Huskies are part of the family.
- Yupik-this is one of the indigenous Siberians that still keep Eskimo-type dogs.
Siberian mythology will also provide you with a few good choices:
- Chagan-one of the gods who formed the earth through diving to the bottom of the ocean and bringing up dirt
- Kami-the word for shaman in a Turkic language of Siberia
- Kara –famous shaman who could bring the dead back to life
- Morgon –famous shaman, another name for Kara
- Nama-the man who saved his wife, children, and the animals in a boat during the great flood
The peoples of Siberia are composed of the tribes that originally inhabited the land and Europeans of all sorts—those who moved there by choice or by force. Several have good names you can use:
- Sasha-a popular Russian name
- Yermak-a Cossack leader that conquered most of Siberia for the Russians
There are a few odd words that will also make good names for your dog:
- Kasha-the Russian word for porridge, a common food in Siberia
- Malchik-the Russian word for “boy”
- Yasak-the tribute (taxes) that the Siberians had to pay to the Russians
As soon as you have chosen your Sibe´s new name, buy a tag from your local pet store or order one from . Siberians are real escape artists and you will probably never get your dog back if he runs off and does not have a tag. Amazon
Buy a tag with his name, your name, and your telephone number. It may even save his life.
Be sure to ask your vet about a microchip at your next regular visit.
Whether you believe Siberia was named after the Sabir tribe, or if it is a Tatar word for the sleeping land, both the land and the dogs from the country are interesting and there are plenty of great names available. This huge area covers over 5 million square miles, and when Russia sent her prisoners here they didn´t even bother putting a fence around the prison. The land is so large and barren there was not where to escape to.
Do you have any ideas for your dog´s new name? You may not feel comfortable pronouncing some of these names at first, but go ahead and pick something special—after you have yelled at your Siberian Husky the first fifty times the name will come naturally.
My dog Kola used to listen to his Siberian name. Sometimes!
I dont use these commands in training my dog since I think Arabic words work a lot better. If they are not too difficult for you to pronounce they will make you Siberian Husky sound out at the dog park when you call him to heel!
More by this Author
Need a great name from the country? Some are redneck, some are country and western, some are even...Well, if that aint country, you can kiss my.....
Some dogs are outlaws—some just jump on their bikes and pretend to be. One of these names will be the perfect accessory to make your dog tough. Or at least sound tough!
If you work all day but still want a dog, check out descriptions, videos, and pictures of these low energy breeds and find out which will suit your lifestyle.