Cool Dog Names for a Yorkie
Yorkshire is an area of England that has been dominated by Romans, Angles, and Vikings, and the locals are tough and feisty. The dog breed named after this part of England has many of the qualities of the local residents. They were originally bred to hunt rats in the mills of Yorkshire, and still have the fierce personality needed for that type of work.
Yorkies really are a small dog with a big dog attitude.
I think all dog names should be authentic, and the best way to name your new puppy is to find a great location in Yorkshire that you like the sound of. There are a lot of options to naming your new puppy, and maybe you would like to name him after one of the famous Yorkies:
- Ben (Huddersfield Ben), the father of the breed and one of the most famous stud dogs of his time.
- Bit Bit and London, Britney Spear´s Yorkies
- Daisy, a Yorkie owned by Carmen Elektra
- Enzo, Vanessa Williams´ Yorkie
- Katie, one of the Yorkies that established the breed standards in the 1800s
- Pasha, Tricia Nixon´s Yorkie when she lived in the White House
- Roadie, a Yorkie owned by Miley Cyrus
- Smoky, a World War II hero
- Vida, Gisele Bundchen´s dog
Yorkies can also be named like any small dog. Here are a few names that might fit a little boy´s personality:
- Sammy (this name is overused, so avoid it if you can!)
A Yorkie girl can be named in the same way:
- Missy (overused, I know, but still a nice name for a Yorkie)
If you find any names here you can rest assured that your Yorkie will have a special name. Here are some cities, towns, and villages in Yorkshire that make great names for a puppy:
and of course
Yapham the Yorkie
And there are plenty of other great locations in Yorkshire if none of the names of towns and villages fit your puppy´s personality:
- Acliffe (a mountain)
- Birkitt (a mountain)
- Burton (gardens)
- Dalby (a park)
- Derwent (a river)
- Filey (a famous beach)
- Harland (a mountain)
- Holgate (a windmill)
- Humber (a river)
- Pateley (a bridge)
- Plover (a mountain)
- Rogan (a mountain)
- Shambles (an old neighborhood in York)
- Wentworth (gardens)
- Winder (a mountain peak)
Bringing a new puppy into the house is a lot of fun and a lot of responsibility. Enjoy your time together!
Remember to take lots of pictures of your new puppy-they grow up fast and they seem to change overnight, and you do not want to miss anything. Be sure to have you Yorkie checked by a veterinarian as soon as you bring him home so that you can start caring for him properly.
There are also a few rules you should remember when naming your puppy:
- If you have another Yorkie name that did not make my list, or choose one of the small dog names from another list on the internet, remember that it should have two syllables. Names like “Babydoll” and “Ladybug” are not appropriate when you name your puppy.
- If you have a three syllable word that you really want to use, make sure that you have a nickname for it.
- Don´t confuse an older dog by naming a new puppy something that sounds like his name. You will also be confusing your new puppy sometimes, and she will never be sure when she is supposed to respond.
- Don´t give your new Yorkie a name that sounds like one of his training commands—“Jill” sounds a lot like “heel” to a young dog! If you give him a name that sounds like one of his basic commands, he is going to get confused and not perform when he should. None of the dog names I have suggested in this list sound like any commands
- Give your dog a name that commands some respect and stay away from the dog names I would not use.
- Do not name your dog “Puddles” just because he has a little accident at the carpet. It may be funny at the moment but will get old real fast.
- Do not brand your new dog with one of the overused dog names like Bella, Charlie, or Max. Your dog has a noble history, he is an individual, and the last thing he needs is to be just another Charlie or Jake. Every dog deserves a unique name!
More Good Names...
- Macho Dog Names
Yorkies are small but they do strut, so a macho name may be best for your dog. Choose from this list, and keep your dog from being embarrassed at the dog park.
- Best Dog Names from Brazil
Does your new Yorkie lie around the house most of the day? Does she seem more interested in her latest pedicure than her new toy? If your puppy jumps up into the hammock every chance she gets, maybe she should have a Brazilian name.