Dr. Mark is a veterinarian. He has been working with dogs for more than 40 years.
Yorkie Dog Names
Yorkshire is an area of England that has been dominated by Romans, Angles, and Vikings, and the locals are tough and feisty. The dog breed named after this part of England has many of the qualities of the local residents. They were originally bred to hunt rats in the mills of Yorkshire and still have the fierce personality needed for that type of work.
Yorkies really are a small dog with a big dog attitude.
I think all dog names should be authentic, and the best way to name your new puppy is to find a great location in Yorkshire that you like the sound of. There are a lot of options to naming your new puppy, and maybe you would like to name him after one of the famous Yorkies:
- Ben (Huddersfield Ben), the father of the breed and one of the most famous stud dogs of his time.
- Bit Bit and London, Britney Spears' Yorkies.
- Daisy, a Yorkie owned by Carmen Elektra.
- Enzo, Vanessa Williams' Yorkie.
- Katie, one of the Yorkies that established the breed standards in the 1800s.
- Pasha, Tricia Nixon's Yorkie when she lived in the White House.
- Roadie, a Yorkie owned by Miley Cyrus.
- Smoky, a World War II hero.
- Vida, Gisele Bundchen's dog.
Male Yorkie Name Ideas
Yorkies can also be named like any small dog. Here are a few names that might fit a little boy´s personality:
- Sammy (this name is overused, so avoid it if you can!)
After your new Yorkie puppy has a name, be sure to get a name tag with your name and phone number (this is the style that I use for my own dogs).
His life may depend on it some day.
Female Yorkie Name Ideas
A Yorkie girl can be named in the same way:
- Missy (overused, I know, but still a nice name for a Yorkie)
If you find any names here, you can rest assured that your Yorkie will have a special name. Here are some cities, towns, and villages in Yorkshire that make great names for a puppy.
Cities and Towns in Yorkshire to Name Your Puppy After
and of course
Yapham the Yorkie
Yorkshire Locations to Name Your Puppy After
And there are plenty of other great locations in Yorkshire if none of the names of towns and villages fit your puppy´s personality:
- Acliffe (a mountain)
- Birkitt (a mountain)
- Burton (gardens)
- Dalby (a park)
- Derwent (a river)
- Filey (a famous beach)
- Harland (a mountain)
- Holgate (a windmill)
- Humber (a river)
- Pateley (a bridge)
- Plover (a mountain)
- Rogan (a mountain)
- Shambles (an old neighborhood in York)
- Wentworth (gardens)
- Winder (a mountain peak)
Enjoy Your New Yorkie!
Bringing a new puppy into the house is a lot of fun and a lot of responsibility. Enjoy your time together!
Remember to take lots of pictures of your new puppy—they grow up fast, and they seem to change overnight, and you do not want to miss anything. Be sure to have you Yorkie checked by a veterinarian as soon as you bring him home so that you can start caring for him properly.
There are also a few rules you should remember when naming your puppy:
- If you have another Yorkie name that did not make my list, or choose one of the small dog names from another list on the internet, remember that it should have two syllables. Names like “Babydoll” and “Ladybug” are not appropriate when you name your puppy.
- If you have a three syllable word that you really want to use, make sure that you have a nickname for it.
- Don´t confuse an older dog by naming a new puppy something that sounds like his name. You will also be confusing your new puppy sometimes, and she will never be sure when she is supposed to respond.
- Don´t give your new Yorkie a name that sounds like one of his training commands—“Jill” sounds a lot like “heel” to a young dog! If you give him a name that sounds like one of his basic commands, he is going to get confused and not perform when he should. None of the dog names I have suggested in this list sound like any commands
- Give your dog a name that commands some respect and stay away from the dog names I would not use.
- Do not name your dog “Puddles” just because he has a little accident at the carpet. It may be funny at the moment but will get old real fast.
- Do not brand your new dog with one of the overused dog names like Bella, Charlie, or Max. Your dog has a noble history, he is an individual, and the last thing he needs is to be just another Charlie or Jake. Every dog deserves a unique name!
More Good Dog Name Ideas
- Best Dog Names From Brazil
Does your new puppy lie around the house most of the day? Does she seem more interested in her pedicure than her new toy? If your dog jumps up into the hammock every chance she gets, maybe she should have a Brazilian name.
- Macho Dog Names for Male Chihuahuas, Maltese, and Other Tiny Dogs
If you have a male Chihuahua, a Maltese, or a Bichon, you need to find a great macho dog name! Choose from this list, and keep your dog from being embarrassed at the dog park.
Jodi Feldman on July 17, 2020:
I have had 5 Yorkies, 4 have crossed the rainbow Bridge, they are Buddy, Sheena, Bandit and Sassi. My 10 year old yorkie his name is Dallas, he has as much personality as the whole state of Texas. Have been thinking about getting a new puppy for my granddaughter, just going through the pros and cons right now... Lol
Stella I'll on June 24, 2020:
My yokie was named. KYOTO He passed away at 11 years old
The new member to the family is KOGY. Also a handsome yorkie.
Johanna Johnson on June 16, 2020:
Let's see I have had... A Yorkie named Rieley..one named Annabelle...another named Mack and last but not least..one and my present Yorkie.. named Jinx. I miss my other 3 terribly...
Maliiya on June 14, 2020:
My dog is name is SMOKEY
Camillcloud flower on June 06, 2020:
My yorkie is named
Millie on May 21, 2020:
My little diva’s name is Jaylo (J-Lo). Had two yorkies that are in doggy heaven that we’re named Kobe and Mia.
Bonnie on January 02, 2020:
My Biewer Yorkie is Bella because she is beautiful. I had another Yorkie and his name was Quincy. If I were to get another Yorkie his name will be Bentley
Johanna on October 25, 2019:
I have a dog named Buddy and he’s a Cocker beagle and he likes kids because he always sees us a lot and he sees a lot of kids.
Natalie on August 11, 2019:
When we were bringing her home she was very excited and we said she has the attention span of a knat. Thus the name.
Dr Mark (author) from The Atlantic Rain Forest, Brazil on May 30, 2019:
Patrick--I am glad you like the name. So do millions of others. Many others like pickles on their peanut butter sandwiches too.
Patrick on May 29, 2019:
My dog MAX is not just another dog.Your opinion ,I disagree with just like you think it's not a good name.Your statement about the names you don't like should be kept to yourself .Sounds insulting.Just because you don't like it don't make it wrong!!!!!
Nance on May 25, 2019:
My past yorkie that died was Zorita she was 10 yrs
Edwina H on May 21, 2019:
My little Yorkie is called Teddy. Or Mr T Bear when we're being formal!
Edna on May 07, 2019:
Old lady-ish but is funny
B. on February 19, 2019:
my little Yorkies passed a couple months ago, he was 16. His name was Stewart Little. He was the best dog ever, i still cry every time i think of him.
Flora mcadow on January 11, 2019:
My grandson named his yorkie Cede! After his Mercedies car.
Poop on December 12, 2018:
Mya should be on there because it’s cute and unique also no dog I know has that name
Carmen T on October 24, 2018:
My little boy was for sale by a breeder on a street corner. I passed by on my way to work a Toby Keith concert, made the block and ended up leaving with a new puppy. I went on to work but didn’t think I could stay and have a dog in the first aid room. Toby Keith’s band and crew were outside by his bus and offered to baby sit the puppy during the concert. They took very good care of my new puppy and brought him back when the concert ended. To my surprise they had named him for me. My new baby is named Toby Keith and he is loved by everyone who meets him.
Yvonne on October 01, 2018:
Our little princess is named “Chloe “-( pronounced kah low wee). She is the cutest package of pure delight & energy. She is a protector that goes into security mode with a ring of a doorbell or a knock at the door. What she lacks in size she surely makes up in heart. We LOVE our little diva!!
Rachael on August 30, 2018:
My beloved yorkie's name was Tully.
Dr Mark (author) from The Atlantic Rain Forest, Brazil on August 13, 2018:
phxmimi, that is great. I came up with another list of English names, listed it for Bullmastiffs. https://pethelpful.com/dogs/english-dog-names-bull...
Phxmimi@aol.com on August 12, 2018:
Our first Yorkie is now in Heaven. He was named Winston.
Our Yorkie puppy is named Nigel. Nigel, Duke of York.
English names for English dogs.
Billz on June 12, 2018:
Kingsley is our yorkies name because he is the king of the house
doglover on May 19, 2018:
My Yorkie's name is Lenny, he is a 10 pound male, with floppy ears, big brown eyes, and is the cutest Yorkie ever! I like big dogs best, but I love my little guy with all my heart!
Ashly on April 20, 2018:
im going to have a yorkie when I move to Az. Im trying to think of a name for the puppy I might get. The name I really like that is simalure to mine is Andrea. I think my (maybe) new dog will be this name(I guess)
Gizmo on March 18, 2018:
Is a fantastic idea the dog in the second picture is the dog im getting.
Jared on March 02, 2018:
Gizmo is an fantastic name for a male yorkie
Caitlo on January 15, 2018:
A nother name that is cute is Mia /Mimi /Mimo
Goldey on November 22, 2017:
It might have beautiful hair that look like gold
Dog girl on October 14, 2017:
There should. Be a teddy there
Elizabeth Parker from Las Vegas, NV on June 21, 2013:
Sweet names! Yorkies are adorable. Voted up!
Dr Mark (author) from The Atlantic Rain Forest, Brazil on June 20, 2013:
The book never says, so I guess Toto can be a Yorkie! The actor in the Oz movie was a Cairn terrier.
Thanks for visiting this and linking to your hub. I am going by there now!!
Sinea Pies from Northeastern United States on June 20, 2013:
Was Toto a Yorkie? I love this hub. I am going to add it as a link in my Dog Names hub, for little-dog lovers. Voted up and interesting. :)