Cute French Dog Names for a Papillon or French Bulldog
There are several good dog breeds from France. No matter which one you have, take lots of pictures! Before you know it your little puppy will be an adult.
The Papillon is intelligent but they do shed, and they also like to bark. (Well, I do not know how much they like it, but they are pretty good at it.) They are too small to serve as a personal protection dog, so they might win an agility contest but are not going to excel in a Schutzhund competition.
If you have a French Bulldog, you do have a dog that does not bark much, but he will shed. Some of them have health problems because of their flat faces, so be careful to not stress your dog out, avoid taking him out when it is hot and humid, and be sure you have him checked out periodically by your vet.
Here are some cute French names for your new puppy:
- Adieu (“bye-bye”)
- Balon (“balloon”)
- Bastille (this is a tough dog name, too!)
- Bonbon (“candy”)
- Bonhomme (“good boy”-actually it means “good man”, but you get the idea!)
- Boulette (short for boulette de viande, or “meatball”)
- Cadeau (“gift”)
- Café (“coffee”; of course the all time best name for a white dog is Café Noir, or “Black Coffee”. I feel that way since that was the name of my Maltese).
- Canelle (“cinammon”)
- Citron (“citrus”)
- Coquette (A girl who likes to flirt)
- Éclair (everyone who has visited a French pastry shop knows what an éclair is!)
- Fille (“girl”)
- Flocon (for flocon de neige, or “snowflake”)
- Frizette (a curly wig, think I Love Lucy)
- Jolie (“happy”)
- Gamine (a playful child, great name for a mischievous puppy)
- Garçon (“boy”)
- Lamour (Love, or “Sweetie”)
- Martel (The Hammer) This may be a little too tough for a cute name, but it sounds really great.
- Mignon (“Cute”! It would be hard to find a better cute name, pronounce it me-nyon.)
- Mimi (a slang word for cute)
- Mousette (this word can mean several things, but the cute interpretation is “little mouse”)
- Noisette (“hazelnut”, this would similar to a person from the southern US naming their dog “Peanut”)
- Pastille (this means a little lozenge, or “a pill” like the cute expression in English)
- Pompette (A bit tipsy, or a drunkard, if you prefer.)
- Pouponne (If your dog is mustard colored, you might want to use this name. It means “fussy”.)
- Princesse (“princess”)
- Renard (“foxy”)
- Rhubarbe (The vegetable, and a really cute name)
- Rodin (The famous French artist)
- Royale (“royal”- Pulp Fiction fans probably remember the pronunciation of this one.)
- Souris (“mousy”, pronounce soo-ree)
- Tigre (“tiger”, pronounced ti-grah)
For a Papillon, there are a few French butterfly names. Of course French Bulldogs are more the wine and cheese type:
- Beaufort (a cheese from Savoy)
- Bleu (a French cheese, and a great name for a grey dog)
- Brie (one of those cheeses everyone knows)
- Nacré (a butterfly)
- Roquefort (the famous sheep cheese)
- Tortue (the tortoise, another butterfly)
- Vulcan (a butterfly named after the god)
French Wine Names
A province that also produces great wines
Pronounce this "boar-doe"
A cute name!
The English pronunciation is actually best for a cute dog name
Sounds expensive, so this word will be great for a fancy French dog
Exotic,expensive, and great for a snooty dog.
Unusual, and if you name your dog Malbec she might be the only one around
Another really cute name. It is easy to pronounce, easy on a dog´s ear, and sound expensive. Be sure to let it breathe.
French baby names for boys
Some feminine names are just the masculine name with the diminutive suffix “–ette” attached, and others are totally different. Here is a great list of French baby names for girls that also work great for female dogs:
The first thing you should do for your new puppy is get a name tag. You can order one from Amazon or go to your local pet superstore. Don´t wait. If your puppy is lost and is not wearing a name tag you may never see her again!
More Dog Names...
- Macho Dog Names
Do you want your cute little dog to have the kind of name he can be proud of? Choose from this list, and keep your dog from being embarrassed at the dog park.
- Sitcom And Other Funny Dog Names
It doesn´t matter if you grew up with Barney Fife, Mork, or Cosmo Kramer--one of these names are perfect for a little dog who will keep you entertained!
- Best Dog Names from Brazil
Does your new puppy lie around the house most of the day? Does she seem more interested in her pedicure than her new toy? If your dog jumps up into the hammock every chance she gets, maybe she should have a Brazilian name.
If you find another name that you prefer to use for your new dog, there are a few rules to remember when naming your puppy:
- Only use a name with one or two syllables. If you pick a long name your dog is not going to recognize or respond to it.
- Avoid any name that sounds like another dog in your house. This is true for people, too!
- Never give your dog a name that sounds like one of his training commands. He will be confused all the time.
- Find something special on this list or keep looking and find an authentic and unique name for your new puppy. Do not use one of the overused dog names—remember that your dog is an individual!
More by this Author
GSDs have a lot of health problems, and the Shiloh Shepherd is being developed to produce a dog that is healthy and a great companion. Is a Shiloh right for you?
If you are thinking about getting a wolf hybrid, take a look at these dog breeds before making up your mind.
If you work all day but still want a dog, check out descriptions, videos, and pictures of these low energy breeds and find out which will suit your lifestyle.