Best Hindi Dog Names From India
Although there are not many popular purebred dog breeds from India, there are a lot of great names to choose from. Since there are about 350 languages native to India (and probably a lot more, depending on who you ask), I am sure there are a lot of great names that I did not include in this list.
In fact, the only words here are from the Hindi language. Hindi is the main language in India and is spoken by over 400 million people. If you have decided to find something from India for your dog, Hindi will provide the words you are looking for.
I am not going to put a lot of alternative names on this list, as many of the great names available in Hindi have several syllables and are not appropriate for a dog. The names are in bold and the descriptions are on the right.
Indian Names for a Male Puppy
- Adil: Sincere
- Ajit: This is the name of the future Buddha. It would be a great name for a wise little puppy.
- Amir: Rich
- Amrit: A potion that can make you immortal.
- Ashok: Without sadness, according to the sources I could find. Ashok was one of the founders of India, and his life story is interesting and is great reading.
- Bari: Great
- Dakshi: The glorious
- Hafta: Week (period of time)
- Mohan: Attractive
- Raj: Ruling. Although this name has only one syllable, I really like it!
- Raja: King
- Yasti: Slim. This would be a great name for a Saluki.
Other Great Names for a Male Dog
- Akash: The Sky
- Arjun: White. This is an archaic form of the word but has a great ring to it if you are naming a white dog.
- Batuk: Boy
- Beta: Son
- Haddi: Bone. “Bony” is great for a thin dog like a Greyhound or Whippet.
- Kumar: A prince
- Lamba: Long. Every Dachshund owner´s favorite word.
- Loha: Iron
- Mani: Jewel
- Safed: A more common word for white.
Indian Names for a Female Puppy
- Anya: Different
- Bala: A young girl
- Champak: A flower
- Chandra: A shining moon
- Devi: Goddess
- Indra: Rainbow
- Kaali: The Black Goddess. This would be a perfect name for a black puppy. Kaali has a lot of other characteristics attributed to her (some of them far from mellow!) so if you like this name be sure to do some additional research.
- Ladki: Girl
- Lata: Creeper
- Sundar: Beautiful
- Tara: Star
Necessary Pet Identification
Hindi Names for Animals
- Bakri: Goat
- Bandar: Monkey
- Kutta: Dog
- Yoga (of course)
Some of the god and hero names may not seem appropriate to a native Hindi speaker, but if you like anything on this list I think it is fine. As far as pronunciation goes, I don´t think you should worry about it. Pronounce a word the way you want to!
I am not a Hindi speaker, so if you would like to chime in and make comments I would be glad to hear them. My time in India was spent in Delhi and Rajasthan and most of the people I worked with spoke excellent English. That made things easy at work but it also kept me from learning much.
Enjoy the list.
This unusual dog was photographed in Kalimpong, a city between Nepal and Bhutan. If you are in the area and see dogs with this type of marking many others would like to know about it.
More About Dogs...
- Five Fierce Dog Breeds Your Family MUST Be Afraid Of
This is a list of the five most dangerous dogs, beasts that will rip your throat out as soon as pee on you. Beware of the vicious family dog.
- Best Dog Names from Brazil
Does your new puppy lie around the house most of the day? Does she seem more interested in her pedicure than her new toy? If your dog jumps up into the hammock every chance she gets, maybe she should have a Brazilian name.