Unique Hunting Dog Names
Best Hunting Dog Names
There are several ways you can name your new hunting dog. You can look at his pedigree, pick a name that shows off his lineage, and then maybe use a nickname for his “official” name when you call him for obedience training or just around the house.
- Ask everyone in your family what they think of it.
- Call your dog a few times and see how you like his new name, and of course, how he responds!
Besides looking at his pedigree, you can also name him after some other type of animal. How about “Dillow” for “armadillo”? Here are a few more ideas:
- Sloth-I really like this one but your new dog may not care for it too much!
What about naming your dog for a gun or some ammunition? A lot of the new models are just letters and numbers, but some of the older guns have great names:
Fighting Aircraft Name Inspiration
- Branco (White)
- Campos (Fielder)
- Mico (a shy monkey—this would only be given to a very shy dog)
- Preto (Blackie)
- Onsa (Jaguar, one of the most powerful animals that exist)
More Popular Names
- Bond (from James, of course!)
- Cali (Caliber)
The Dos and Don'ts of Naming Your Dog
There are a few rules to follow when naming your dog.
- Do not name him something that sounds like a command. Even dogs get confused, and if you give him a name that sounds like “sit” you shouldn´t be real surprised when you dog sits down instead of coming over to you.
- Always choose a name that has one or two syllables. If you stick your dog with a name like “Bodacious” you can call him Bo; don’t get mad at him if he just stares when you try to use that long word.
- Give your dog a name that commands some respect. You might think it is funny to name your dog “Scooter” after he has diarrhea, or “Barfy” after an accident in the car. It will not be funny later when you are out hunting with your dog, or when you are both competing.
- Do not give your dog one of the overused names. Your dog is an individual, with a family history of competition. He deserves to have a unique hunting dog name!