Best Latino Dog Names
Are you looking for an authentic Latino name for your new Latin dog?
The Fila Brasileiro is a large breed of dog developed in Brazil to guard livestock, protect the homestead, and chase down runaway slaves. Dogs excelled in all three jobs.
Nowadays, Filas are mostly family guard dogs, and they are great at what they do. They are not aggressive with their family but are known to not care much for strangers.
The name for a Fila should reflect his special background. Some Brazilian names come from the Fila´s job and his unique looks:
- ‘Beção (pronounced bay-sawn) from cabeção, or “big head”. Fila breeders take a lot of pride in a dog with a big head, and this name is not at all offensive.
- Caça (pronounced ca-sa) “hunt”, similar to “hunter”
- Guarda (pronounced gwar-da) “guard”
- Manso (pronounced man-so) “gentle”
- Nariz (pronounced na-reez) “nose”—to remind us that this dog depends on his nose
- Rajão (pronounce ra-jown) “tracker”
Authentic Dog Names From Latin America
Albus-"white" If your puppy has a white blaze on the chest
Boi (pronounced boy)-"ox" A good name for a powerful dog
Bacchus-"noisy" Most puppies earn this name!
Chave (pronounced sha-vee)-"key"
Ines-"gentle" (Always female)
Dexter-"clever" A good name for a puppy who learns quickly
Docil (pronounced daw-seel)-"tame"
Fiel (pronounced fee-yal)-"faithful" As in the Brazilian saying "faithful as a Fila"
Linda-"pretty" (Always female)
Forté (pronounced for-chay)-"strong"
Linus-"fair haired" This is good for a Fila with a fawn coat
Raça (pronounced ra-sa)-"race" This word is used when a dog is purebred
Paco-"a free man"
Tigrão (pronounced tchi-grawn)-"tiger-striped" A brindle dog
Travão (pronounced tra-vown)-"thunder"
A few other good latino dog names are:
- Alma (f)
- Alta “tall” (f)
- Alto “tall” (m)
- Carla (f)
- Carlos (m)
- Charo (f)
- Cortez (m)
- Faisca “sparky” (f)
- Flor “flower” (f)
- Franco (m)
- Gaucha “cowgirl” (f)
- Gaucho “cowboy” (m)
- Luna “moon” (f)
- Nuno (m)
- Paulo (m)
- Pedro (m)
- Ramon “guardian” (m)
- Rita (f)
- Sancho (m)
- Toro “bull” (m)
I made up this list for people looking for an authentic name for their new Fila Brasileiro or Dogo Argentino. If none of the latino names work for you, however, you can name your Fila one of these great gringo names:
By the way, gringo is not an offensive term and has nothing to do with white skin. Where I live Antonio Banderas and Mohamed Ali are both considered gringos, or foreigners.
Do you have some good ideas? Take a few minutes to learn the rules to follow when naming a new puppy:
- The majority of good words in Portuguese and Castilian Spanish are three or more syllables and do not make good dog names. All of the choices I have listed above are easy to use without making up a nickname. If you want to choose another name, (Bonita, for example) you really need to use a nickname. (Call her Nita.)
- Do not use any name that sounds like a dog you already have. If you are lucky enough to have a new Fila and an older dog, using names that sound alike will confuse the old dog, and make training the new dog that much harder.
- Don´t give your new dog a name that sounds like one of his training commands—if you are going to train in English, for example, the name “Grit” sounds too much like “sit”! If you give him a name that sounds like one of his basic commands, he is going to get confused and not perform when he should. None of the dog names I have suggested in this list sound like any commands in English, Portuguese, Arabic, or German. In other languages? I have no idea.
- Give your dog a name that commands some respect and stay away from the dog names I would not use.
- Do not name your dog “Xixi” after an accident at the carpet.
- Give your Latin American dog a Latino name and do not use one of the overused dog names. Your dog is an individual and the last thing he needs is to be just another Charlie or Jake.
- A Fila will grow up to be a big dog. Once you decide on a new name you need to start taking your puppy to obedience classes and make sure she is adequately socialized. Do not wait until your puppy is too big to handle.
- Enjoy your new puppy and give her the best life you can!
More by this Author
Some dogs are outlaws—some just jump on their bikes and pretend to be. One of these names will be the perfect accessory to make your dog tough. Or at least sound tough!
Need a great name from the country? Some are redneck, some are country and western, some are even...Well, if that aint country, you can kiss my.....
If you work all day but still want a dog, check out descriptions, videos, and pictures of these low energy breeds and find out which will suit your lifestyle.