Tatiana has been an online writer for over five years. Her articles focus on everything from pet care to relationship advice.
Having a dog can be a doggone good time! That said, they are a whole lot of work (especially if you plan on adopting a puppy)! Puppies require a lot of time, patience, and love. If you have all of these qualities, then adopting a puppy might be right for you!
Puppies Need Time, Patience, and Love
- Time: Everyone know that puppies do not come pre-trained, and this, of course, includes potty training. If you don’t want your home to reek of urine and dog feces, then you better have the time necessary to potty train your pup! This includes getting the puppy used to going to the bathroom around your already-busy schedule, or training the puppy to go on potty mats if it really can’t hold it until you get home.
- Patience: With anything that requires a lot of your time, comes the need for a lot of patience! Training a puppy doesn't happen overnight; it takes a lot of persistence and consistency to train a dog to do anything, including training them to not piddle on the carpet! Accidents happen, and this is something that every dog owner should understand. So, if your dog has an accident, it’s best to maintain your patience and continue to reinforce the training that you are both working on.
- Love: Last but not least, actually most important, is that you are able to provide the puppy with a loving home. If you cannot do this than you should really consider other options, such as not adopting a dog at all.
Selecting the Right Breed
If you are confident in your abilities to provide a dog with all of the above, great! It’s now time to decide on what type of dog you want. Ask yourself the following questions, and they should help you to decide.
Useful Questions for Selecting the Right Dog Breed
- Does your neighborhood or residence have deed or breed restrictions?
- Do you have enough land and interior space to house a large breed?
- Can you handle a lot of drool?
- Do you have time to vacuum every day after a breed that sheds a lot?
- Do you have enough funds to afford grooming, or can you groom a dog that needs it?
- Do you want a high-energy dog, or one that calms down a bit with age?
- Do you want a dog for protection?
- Does it have to be a purebred?
Asking yourself all of these questions will help you to decide on a breed that is right for you, through process of elimination. Your next step will be deciding the gender and where to adopt from!
Naming Your New Puppy
So you’ve decided on a female puppy? Now it’s time to figure out a name! Of course, it is best to wait until you actually have your puppy, to decide on a name.
This way, you can determine personality characteristics that may aid you in the naming process. For your reference, here is a categorized list of 101 puppy names for girls.
Although you can add the word “princess” in front of any name, here are some puppy names for girls that are actually inspired by princesses, both real and fictional.
Princess Names for Dogs
Let’s face it, your puppy won’t always smell like a flower, but at least she can always have a name as pretty as one!
Flower Names for Dogs
Most of these names are typical “pet names” that people give each other, but if you ask me, they are much more suitable for your cute puppy!
Sweet Names for Dogs
If you have a good sense of humor, one of these names might be a great fit for your furry female friend!
Funny Names for Dogs
You can never go wrong with food! Name your puppy after your favorite snack and fall in love all over again!
Yummy Names for Dogs
And since I promised 101 names, here's the 101th: "Savannah" (My actual puppy's name!) When it comes to thinking of puppy names for girls, the possibilities are almost unlimited. Take a nice, deep look into that sweet puppy’s eyes, find that little person within and the right name will come to you!
Toshi on February 22, 2020:
Toshi is cute and sassy
Clover on July 07, 2019:
Clover reminds me of my uncle that died
Charlotte on January 25, 2019:
Ok but some more will be good
Thanks a lot
Flip Flop on January 19, 2019:
its so lovey! lol
Sady mae on October 31, 2018:
I just love it
Nudge on July 20, 2018:
I liked poochie because it reminded me of pooky wich might be our new puppy’s name. Nudge is our other dog
Poppy on July 17, 2018:
I love the name poppy because it reminds me from trolls movie
Zoey on May 30, 2018:
Zoey is a cute lovable name
Coca on April 15, 2018:
So cute I love the “Jane doe “ one!
ramandeep kaur on March 03, 2018:
Very useful and awesome explanation regarding pet
Lol on February 06, 2018: