Puppy Teething and How to Make them STOP Gnawing on YOU!
Awww! Puppies are such sweet little angels ... until it starts ...
Puppy Teething that is.
Yes your innocent little puppy will turn into this wild little monster and YOU have evolved into a human chew toy. Now really that sweet little guy is still in there you just need to understand the stages of teething.
When those new teeth emerge, IT HURTS! So your little puppy is really just trying desperately to find something that feels good on his aching gums.
Luckily there are many things you can do to help this poor little puppy. And let me start by saying that rubbing some whiskey or other alcohol on their gums is not one of them. Remember Alcohol is toxic to dogs. I have some valuable advice to help you get through this puppy teething which will make your little fellow quite happy and you will have less bite marks on your hands, feet etc.
This picture is my little Scottie puppy who is 4 months old and just started teething. So you can see, I feel your pain.
About the Photo: Taken by ScottiesRock - "Sully" - 4 Months - Trying to look cute after he was just caught chewing off the tips of my daughter heels.
All I want for Christmas is my two front teeth! - Puppy Teeth
This is not the prettiest picture, but I wanted to show my puppy's teeth and most of all his missing two front teeth.
It may look like he did not like this and was being tortured while taking this photo.
However, he actually enjoyed it and thought it was more of a game. It is always important to touch your puppies mouth, feet, ears, etc., to get them used to being handled.
Sully does not have a problem, he loves all the attention he can get!
About the Photo: taken by ScottiesRock - 12/17/12 - Sully - 4 months - Puppy Teething - "Missing his two front teeth"
All puppies have 22 Teeth, 14 in the upper jaw and 14 in the lower jaw.
Puppy Teeth Development and Facts
All puppies have 28 teeth, 14 on the top and 14 on the bottom. These puppy teeth show up around the age of 3 to 4 weeks and are sharp pin like teeth.
These baby or puppy teeth begin to fall out around 4 months old. Just like a human, the adult tooth pushes out the baby tooth.
When it is all said and done, your puppy will end up with a whopping 42 permanent teeth. Which is 20 on the top and 22 on the bottom. It is hard to imagine all those teeth fitting into their tiny mouths, but somehow they do.
You may never see any of their teeth when they fall out because many times the puppy swallows them. However if you are lucky enough to find a shiny white puppy tooth on your carpet, you can save it. Sounds funny, but I did and it is going in his puppy scrapbook.
Unfortunately, I have never found any from my other two dogs so their pages will be missing this info.
Puppy Teething Remedies
Puppy Teething Remedies
Alleviate some of that puppy teething pain!
- Roll a washcloth and run it under cool water, tie knots at each end. Place in a plastic bag and freeze. The frozen washcloth will provide some temporary relief for the puppy's sore gums. Soaking it in chicken or beef broth before freezing is another option which your pup will like.
- Ice Cubes are great and the coolness feels really good on the puppies gums. Best of all they are free! You can freeze some chicken or beef broth in an ice cube tray for a nice treat.
- Massage is so soothing and is great for the a little relief for your puppies aching gums and teeth. Use a finger toothbrush and rub the upper and lower gums with a circular motion.
- Why not try a Herbal Remedy to alleviate some of that puppy teething pain. Aloe Vera or Chamomile are your answers if you are looking a herbal remedies. You can create ice cubes from the Aloe Vera Juice and rub the cube on the puppies gums.
- Make you puppy some Chamomile Tea, well not exactly. Add some dried Camomile to boiling water and let it cool. Then pour it into a bowl and let your puppy enjoy a nice relaxing camomile drink.
- Puppy Teething Toys are a definite to relieve some of that pain. I have provided an excellent selection right here on this page. But you should look for those types of puppy teethers with nubs and ridges. These types of textures feel good on their gums.
- Kongs are just an all around great toy! Stuff them with a little peanut butter and freeze for the ultimate treat. This is not only great for the pups but all for the adult dogs as well.
- Bully Sticks are absolutely wonderful and you dog or puppy is going to go crazy for these. I am a fan of these chewy sticks. They are all natural and healthy!
How to help your teething puppy.
Adult Dog Teeth
Dogs basically have 42 teeth in all, 20 in the upper jaw and 22 in the lower jaw. Some breeds may have more or less.
Puppies Teething - Extra Teeth
Extra Teeth Can cause of Bite Problems.
Some breeds can have extra teeth. All terrier breeds are prone to this.
This means that extra adult teeth may emerge and because of the tight spacing, they can grow out of the sides of the gums or even out of a hole from another tooth.
It is very important to have your puppies teeth checked for this by a Vet. If left untreated it could cause bite problems. The procedure is a simple extraction, which does not sound fun, but is usually harmless.
Puppy Playpen - IRIS Plastic Exercise-Containment Pet Pen
If you can't keep an eye on that puppy, which is impossible to do all the time, than containing him is the answer.
This is the best Puppy Play Pen out there. The reason why I love it is because of the 8 panels. These panels and be removed and the play pen can be configured in any shape or size to fit into your room. The little door on the front is great to let the little guy go in and out on their own. Made of plastic which makes it easy to clean and the panels can lay flat for easy storage.
A puppy play pen is great and not only for puppies, but for adult dogs who need to rest and be confined for any reason. It is a necessary item to own if you are a dog owner and this Iris Containment Pet Pen is tops!
Best Bully Sticks
Bully Sticks are not all Created Equal!
Bully Sticks are an all natural chew for your dog.
A treat they will love and you will love because not only does it keep them occupied but it cleans their teeth. Best Bully Sticks are the best bully sticks on the market. Made from free-ranging Brazilian cattle and are available in sizes 6" to 36".
Read More about Bully Sticks by going to BestBullySticks.com
I buy the 12" size for my Scotties and it will last my adult a few days, however He is not an aggressive chewer. For an aggressive chewer, I would recommend a thicker stick. Best Bully Sticks come in a variety of thicknesses and even a braided version so you are sure to find the perfect stick for your pup.
My puppy is busy looking for the next thing he can gnaw on right now. So I will have to be quick to find him something more suitable then a shoe or woodwork.
Luckily my dogs are short and can't really reach my windowsills.
But, my friends lab could. He enjoyed looking out the window and gnawing on that wood. So much that he could destroy her sill in only a few minutes flat. I am wondering if there is an Olympic event for this because he would surely win. Her husband has even fixed them and guess what?
He chewed those up those window sills all over again within a minutes or may be it was seconds.
Gotta love those puppies! :)
Give them something to chew on.
This article is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge. It is not meant to substitute for diagnosis, prognosis, treatment, prescription, or formal and individualized advice from a veterinary medical professional. Animals exhibiting signs and symptoms of distress should be seen by a veterinarian immediately.