Strong Names for Boxers
Boxers are powerful German dogs that are great with cats, super with kids, and really enjoy just hanging out with their families. Boxers are also strong and fast men who make their living hitting other strong men.
Of course, dogs and people are really different, but some of the names given to human boxers are great for canine boxers. This list will give you a few badass names to choose from.
Real-Life Boxer Names for Boxer Dogs
There have been a lot of good movies about boxers. Many of them have names that do not work with dogs, but here are some great choices that work.
Movie-Inspired Boxer Dog Names
Fighter Nicknames for Boxer Dogs
There are also many great boxing nicknames that you can choose from.
- And for a really tough dog, there is always “Wimpy”
You could always call your dog “Greatest,” of course, and everyone will know just who you are talking about!
Ideas for Naming Puppies
There are a few rules when should remember when naming your puppy:
- Don’t forget to choose a name that has one or two syllables. A lot of famous boxers have names with three or more syllables, but they did not make this list. De la Hoya does not work, but Oscar is fine. Evander is not a good name to use with your new puppy, but Vander is a great way to shorten the name and your puppy will respond just like you want.
- If you have a favorite boxer in mind and he did not make this list, be sure to use that for a really special name. Just remember that dog names should only have two (or maybe even one) syllables. If you have one that you really like you should use it, of course, but be sure to find a good nickname for it.
- Do not use any name that sounds like a dog you already have. When you call your new Boxer, the older dog is going to be confused.
- Don´t give your new dog a name that sounds like one of his training commands—“Grit” sounds too much like “sit!” If you give him a name that sounds like one of his basic commands, he is going to get confused and not perform when he should. None of the dog names I have suggested in this list sound like any commands, but if you use the name of a boxer or another word that is not here, make sure it does not sound like a training word.
- Give your dog a name that commands some respect and stay away from the dog names I would not use. You might think it is funny to name your dog “Scooter” after he has diarrhea or “Barfy” after an accident in the car. It will not be funny later when you are out at the dog park with your new puppy, and names like “Scooter” get old fast.
- Do not brand your new dog with one of the overused dog names. Your dog has a noble history, he is an individual, and the last thing he needs is to be just another Charlie or Jake. Every dog deserves a unique name!
More Great Names For Your Dog...
- Macho Dog Names
If you have a Chihuahua, a Maltese, or a Bichon, you need to find a great macho dog name! Choose from this list, and keep your dog from being embarrassed.
- Great Dog Names From Germany
Do you have a German dog breed? You should find a special name, and this article will give you plenty to choose from.
- Best Dog Names from Brazil
Does your new puppy lie around the house most of the day? Does she seem more interested in her pedicure than her new toy? If your dog jumps up into the hammock every chance she gets, maybe she should have a Brazilian name.
Questions & Answers
Question: What do think of the names ”Merlin” for a male and “Sheba” for a female?
Answer: Great names. Both of them are short, easy to use, and Sheba even has a vowel at the end, so it tends to make the dog look up even more when you call her name.
© 2013 Mark dos Anjos DVM
Wendy on September 06, 2019:
I named my female dog Reyna which means Queen in Spanish and she sure is the queen of the house. She just had pups and I kept her first born, named her Sophia.
Judy on March 08, 2019:
My Boxers name is Spuds, the name totally fits him. He is a really large and tall Boxer and very goofy and he loves mashed potatoes and baked.
Lana on July 25, 2018:
Would Izzie be a good name for a female boxer?
Gizmoistheboss on June 06, 2017:
i love the name gizmo
andreana webb on March 06, 2015:
Mark dos Anjos DVM (author) from The Atlantic Rain Forest, Brazil on June 15, 2013:
Hey Bob, I had to laugh imagining Ajej dealing with snow. Even when it rains and gets down to the 60s, she stands at the door and looks at me as if "You expect me to go outside in that kind of weather?" Tough dog!
Eddy, thanks for taking the time to read this. I remember your forum thread from about a year ago, and hope you do get another great dog.
Eiddwen from Wales on June 15, 2013:
I do not have the pleasure of living with a dog at the moment and oh how I miss the company so. However it doesn't stop me from reading wonderful gems like this; thank you so very much for sharing .
Voted up, across and shared. Have a great weekend.
Bob Bamberg on June 15, 2013:
I agree with your mind's-eye vision of Dudley; rather dignified (even if his name is liable to get him beaten up at the dog park).
I'm a happy man now with summer just about here. When I go out for my 5 AM walk, it's daylight, the birds are singing, and my muscles are relaxed. In the winter it's dark, desolate because of the deafening quiet, and my muscles are in their heat-producing tense mode. They don't relax until I get back to the warm house.
With winter on your doorstep there at the beach, it's almost time to break out the long sleeved shirts and flannel sandals. I hope Ajej is a good musher.
Mark dos Anjos DVM (author) from The Atlantic Rain Forest, Brazil on June 14, 2013:
Dudley makes me think of some tall Englishman boxer with a handlebar moustache.
My thinking cap could not come up with any good girl names for Boxers--women are usually smart enough to stay away from this crazy sport!
Thanks for coming by and leaving a comment! Winter is almost here, so I hope you are feeling the summer weather way up on the wrong side of the globe!!!
Bob Bamberg on June 14, 2013:
It's not a strong name, but I like Dudley as a name for a boxer. His nickname could be Dude. Unless, of course, he is a she. Then it's back on with the thinking cap. Another good hub...voted up, useful and interesting.