How to Stop a Dog From Barking: Dog Training for Behavior Problems
Neighbor's Barking Dog
How do you stop your neighbor's dogs from barking?
My neighbor’s dogs will bark at anyone that comes to the front gate, whether its the family members, friends, strangers or intruders. The dogs will bark nonstop. It's irritating when you want a quiet moment.
And it is coming from not one dog but five dogs. We have learned to accept this predicament as our neighbor is an 80-year-old woman who lives alone, except for the house cleaner and occasional visits by family members.
The dogs are her friends and also act as guard dogs for security. The barks gave her comfort telling her that everything is fine. This psychological reassurance is important especially to the elderly. So when we get old; we may have to resort to some form of psychological reassurance such as this. What will you do when you get old and live alone?
Definitely not letting a dog barked unnecessarily. You must control and train them. Training a dog may not be easy so seeking help from professional dog trainers will help.
There are some easy methods of dog training for behavior problems. Here are my suggestions.
Why Dog Barks
First, let us understand why a dog barks.
It can be due to excitement, being happy or sad, feeling anxiety or in danger. So, the aim is not to stop the dog from barking but to control excessive barking.
The following tips do not include any physical punishment like smacking the dog’s nose, no matter how gentle or spraying the dog with any form of chemicals or water, shouting or yelling as recommended by some people. I do not believe in physical pain, no matter how humane, when it comes to training your pet.
Tips on How to Stop a Dog From Barking
- Do not reward a barking dog. If the dog barks excessively, do not give him a cuddle or let him in (if he was outside) This give the wrong signal to the dog that it is OK to bark.
- Do not yell at the dog as it sends the wrong signal that barking and yelling are OK.
- When dogs are bored or feel neglected, they bark unnecessarily. Keep them occupied and when possible don’t leave them alone too long a period. Also, don’t leave them alone outside all day and night. Give your dog plenty of exercises, both physically & mentally, as this is the best way to keep them occupied. They will be too tired to bark from boredom or frustration. It also creates that bonding, which is important for your dog.
- If you have to leave your dog alone, keep him/her occupied. Give hollow toys that you can fill up with food, which serve as a reward. KONG is great for this. It is a non-toxic toy with a hollow center and you can stuff it with his favorite food. It is dishwasher safe and is easily clean.
- Do your dog barks when the doorbell rings or when the phone rings? To train your dog not to bark when this happens, ask someone to ring the door or your phone on a regular basis for a few days. When it rings, sit quietly and don’t do anything. Continue this process for a few days and your dog will get the message. It takes a lot of patience and determination to do this, so don't give up easily.
- If the dog barks when you return home, ignore him for a while. This may not be easy. You do not want to give him the wrong signal that you acknowledged his barking. Once things are quieter and settled, you can go ahead and cuddle him.
More Dog Training Tips for Behavior Problems
- The dog barks when someone is at the gate? The simplest way is to hide the dog’s vision to this area but a dog has an acute sense of hearing and smell so he will know someone is at the gate despite the ‘blocked vision’ strategy. One of the better ways is to associate that person at the gate with a form of treat. So, when that person comes, he brings your dog’s favorite food or toy.
- Your dog barks for attention or when he wants something? Ignore his barking and he will soon get frustrated and will stop. You can tell him to ‘quiet’ in a soft tone and reward him if he responds.
- There are times when we ignore the dog when he is quiet. We should reward him for this behavior. Shower your love and affection when this happens by playing with him, cuddling him and be by his side. Your presence is a form of reward that is easiest to give. The bond between you, the master, and the dog is an important aspect of training your dog good behavior.
Dog that Refused to Stop Barking - New Zealand, February 2013:
It was reported in the news that a dog barked continuously and refused to stop. This helped save a mother and her two kids from their house that caught fire.
How To Stop A Barking Dog
When you are doing dog training for behavior problems:
- The rest of the family members must do similar action
- Be consistent with the training
If you are not consistent, the dog will be confused with your training method. This is important otherwise it will take a longer time to train, or may not work.
Remember that different dog breeds will react differently to each of the above methods.
Which Dog Breed is Suitable as a Companion for the Elderly?view quiz statistics
Professional Dog Trainer or buy Online Dog Training Courses
To train dogs with behavior problems is time-consuming and can be frustrating.
If you want the fast and easy way to fix your dog’s behavior problems, get help from the professional dog trainer. Search online for dog training centers near you.
A cheaper option is to follow the online dog training courses.
Some sites have everything you want from dog barking, adopting a puppy, dog obedience training, dog tricks and downloading of the eBooks. Some sites have a discussion forum on several issues relating to dog training and access to several resources.
Before You Choose a Dog Training Course
Make sure it has been well tested. Do a bit of research on feedback from users, through forums and blogs. Avoid training program that inflicts pain as part of the conditioning method.
The most effective method is to have the dog trained by the owner and not by a professional trainer. The owner, guided by the professional trainer, will use and enforce the methods. This is important as the consistent command, style and enforcement will expedite the learning curves.
Basically, a dog or any animal for that matter learn through connection/association, repetition, and consistency. Consistency can only come from the owner via your body language and voice tone. At the end of the day, you want your dog to be happy and affectionate.
What say You
What would you do if your neighbor's dog bark excessively?
Is Electronic Dog Collars OK?
This is very subjective but there are lots of negativity in ultrasonic bark control collar or the anti-barking electronic dog collars. What it does is to give out a brief electric shock.
The dog collar that emits a spray of citronella mist is equally bad.
This is a form of punishment and this type of device is cruel. It can give rise to other problems.
Similarly, a muzzle to quiet noisy dogs is just as bad. It restricts their natural instinct of breathing, yawning and of course, eating and drinking. Dog pant in order to cool down and with the muzzle, it will restrict this movement. If you love your dog, you should not do this at all.
Dogs are smart and they will know how to overcome these restrictions. Your best bet is to try the above training methods, get professional trainers or get the eBook and CD on the proper dog training courses.
Now that you have read tips and advice on how to stop a dog from barking and dog training for behavior problems, we can all sleep peacefully!
More Dog Trivia
Do you know that domestic violence and animal cruelty are somewhat linked? In a study published by American Humane Association:
"68% of battered women reported violence towards their animal. Between 25% and 40% of these battered women are unable to escape abusive situations because they worry about what will happen to their pets if they leave. Battered women have been known to live in their cars with their pets for as long as four months until an opening was available at a pet-friendly center"
Additional resources for reference
- American Humane Association | Home
The nation's voice for the protection of children and animals
- Animal Charity - Rescue Dogs, Cats, Pets, Horses - Prevent Cruelty - rspca.org.uk
The RSPCA is the leading UK animal welfare charity. We specialize in rescue, animal welfare and preventing animal cruelty.
- Home | RSPCA Australia | For all creatures, great & small.
RSPCA Australia is a Federation of eight independent State and Territory RSPCA bodies called member Societies. It is a community-based charity that works to prevent cruelty to animals by actively promoting their care and protection.
- ASPCA - American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals - for Dog care
Learn the top 10 ways to fight animal cruelty and who to report animal cruelty to in this American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals - ASPCA website. Find out about dog fighting, puppy mills, and other types of animal cruelty.