Zylkene - A Remedy for Stress Relief for Dogs and Cats
What Symptoms Does Zylkene Help?
Zylkene helps animals adjust to change and handle stressful situations. It may also be a solution for stress-related behavioural problems such improper urination, over-grooming, separation anxiety, training, and even shyness in cats.
There are many possible reasons for stress. Animals need stability, and like humans, often get triggered by big changes. Here are a few examples of things that can stress out your dog or cat.
- A new house
- A new baby
- A loud noise (especially ongoing, such as construction)
- Placing the animal in a strange place for a period of time
- A trip
- A new animal in the home
Zylkene does not cause sleepiness, but rather just calms the pet down. It can be administered with other natural products such as rescue remedy and pheromones, as well as with prescription medications.
What is Zylkene and How Do I Administer It?
Zylkene is made from a milk protein and is classified as a food supplement. The active ingredient is a peptide that has the ability of impacting brain receptors, resulting in a soothing effect on the animal. It is effective for both cats and dogs. It can be purchased in three different sizes of capsule and the choice is determined based on the size of the pet.
- Dosage: Zylkene comes in pill form, and there are three different dosage options: 75mg, 225mg, and 450mg. Make sure to check the instructions on the box and make sure you are giving the right dosage to your animal (they will have guidelines depending on your pet's weight).
- How to Administer: The pills can be opened and the contents sprinkled on food, or the entire capsule can be given orally once a day. Most animals find it palatable, and owners find it easy to administer.
- How Long Should the Treatment Last? Zylkene is suitable for both a short-term treatment, which could be for a few days, or for longer periods if needed. Usually a course is given from between 2-4 weeks. If you know about a stressful situation in advance, like a move to a new house or a new pet, it's advisable to begin administration at least 8 days before the expected stressor, when possible. The medicine should be given once every day and can be doubled if the situation is exceedingly stressful.
When Do I Know It's Working? You almost certainly won't observe an immediate change in your pet. However you'll probably notice some small changes within a few days. Continue using the medication until you feel that the outside stress has abated. If in doubt, ask your veterinarian.
Does Zylkene have Side Effects?
Zylkene is a non-prescription drug and is safe, as it is a natural product. Zylkene is not known to have any side effects and it can be given with other treatments. Zylken is even appropriate for sensitive animals, as it is hypo-allergenic and preservative and lactose free.
Sounds Great! Where Can I Buy Zylkene?
Zylkene can be bought from your vet's office and from all online pharmacies. Most online pharmacies have a next day delivery service.
At times, for stress, you might want to use prescription drugs from your vet's office, but these have to be prescribed by the vet and are known to have possible side effects. Zylkene is safe, over-the-counter, and can have spectacular results. You should definitely consider trying it out before shifting to prescription medications.
This article is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge. It is not meant to substitute for diagnosis, prognosis, treatment, prescription, or formal and individualized advice from a veterinary medical professional. Animals exhibiting signs and symptoms of distress should be seen by a veterinarian immediately.