My name is Tatiana, but my friends and family call me Tutta. I love writing articles that bring a little creativity to everyday life.
Chickens: Why do they have such a bad rap? Like, if someone is a scared person, or just reluctant to do something, they might be called a chicken. Well, obviously these people have never owned a chicken. I mean, have you seen the way chickens can defend themselves
Chickens are fierce and awesome, period. So next time someone calls you a chicken, take it as a compliment and thank them!
Tips for Naming Chickens
That’s all great chickinformation, but when you have pet chickens, do you give them names? Of course! Pet chickens should have names just like a cat or dog. What exactly does this mean? Well, let’s just throw in a few tips to help out with chicken names:
- Think like a chicken: cluck cluck, bock bock, flap flap. Maybe even do the chicken dance for some inspiration!
- Use the color of your chicken for naming ideas. Wait until the chicken is a little older if you have a chick because they will look much different from their chick appearance.
- What breed of chicken do you have? Different breeds have major differences in appearance and features, feather-dos and patterns.
- Chickens are fierce and can stand their ground when threatened, so don’t be afraid to give them fierce names! There’s nothing “chicken” about them. Or, there’s everything chicken about them?
So now that you’ve read through the tips, you’re brain is probably seeded with ideas, right? Now’s the time to jot them down. Need some ideas? No problem. Here is a list of good chicken names:
Great Rooster Names
Cute Hen Names
Funny Chicken Names
Choosing a Cluckin' Name
Alright, so you see that there are many good names for chickens out there, you just have to think a little!
Your best bet for finding suitable chicken names is by observing your chickens, see how they act and how they look. This way, the name will be based on the personality and appearance rather than just being a random name you chose.
You may be thinking, they have bird brains, how much personality can one really have? Well, just observe them for a little while and make that determination for yourself!
If all else fails, write down a few good names on pieces of paper and sprinkle down some chicken feed, and let your chicken have at it. The first one they peck at is the name that they are “choosing.” Once your chicken finally has a name, you can return to your pecking order, at last!
Chickens make great pets, and having a coop of chickens can help your family in so many ways! If you nurture them, they will nurture you.
- Eggs: Filled with protein and Omega 3’s and 6’s, eggs are one of the healthiest things that anyone can eat, given they aren’t allergic. Having chickens means an unlimited supply of eggs, and the best kind of eggs, fresh ones! There is a good chance that you will end up with an oversupply, so don’t be afraid to share or barter with neighbors!
- Save money: Chickens are a great investment because you will never have to buy eggs or chicken from the store ever again (unless you become too attached, of course)! Chicken feed is inexpensive and the materials to build a coop don’t cost too much, if you are handy. In the long run, it’s totally worth it!
- Make money: If you end up with too many eggs, put them in a basket by the dozen and sell them off at local farmer’s markets for a few bucks a dozen! It’s a win-win for everyone!
- Show: Yes, there is such a thing as show chickens. And if you have one and work with it, you can win prizes and even money!
- Education: Especially if you have young children, chickens are a great learning resource, from learning how to care for chickens, to learning about them in general! Oh, and kids have a great time chasing them around, too!
This article is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge. It is not meant to substitute for diagnosis, prognosis, treatment, prescription, or formal and individualized advice from a veterinary medical professional. Animals exhibiting signs and symptoms of distress should be seen by a veterinarian immediately.
I have 2 Geese named Ricky and Lucy my 2 ducks they are Females named Laverne and Shirley on August 16, 2020:
I have 2 geese 1 male and 1Female named Ricky Lucy. 2 female ducks named Laverne and Shirley. My Rooster named Franky. I'm looking for names for my 8 hens there are Black New Jersey giants.
I literally have eight chickens and....wow I have some names I can tell you ok :names: bonnie,chica.pike.tick toke.:horse names: navy,ace,hollow,willow,trigger,pistol. Sorry for the horse names I just on June 17, 2020:
.....wares the rest I have to chickens who I have great names! Wich is bonnie and chica........don't question that ok.
lila on May 03, 2020:
We got 6 baby girls, they are 3 weeks old and we named them Sierra, Blossom, Buttercup, Nugget, Skylar, and Daphne.
lydiarose24 on April 30, 2020:
actually, the egg doesn't come first. If you think about it, Youll needs a rooster to fertilize it. Its a part of chicken life. I had one in my old flock.
I am get chickens in 18 days and......... on April 20, 2020:
DO NOT KNOW
WHAT TO NAME THEM
lyric on April 13, 2020:
I love chikens and I don't know what to name them
Bob on April 10, 2020:
KFC, Beef and Chickofsky were our big hits along with part-time only! :):):):)
Chicken Girl on April 05, 2020:
We have had lots of chickens over the past few years and here are some of my favorite names.
Rooster names Mercury, George, Bramah Roo, Edward, and Rembrant.
Hen names Georgia Peep, Chickadee Sweet, Sweet Pea, Kallik, Lusa, Dove, and Lady. Hope you like these names!
Xanthe on April 01, 2020:
hi, I'm in the process of incubating eggs from my rooster's last fertile eggs since he died a few days ago. he was an Araucana mix and we have a variety of different girls, so hopefully, some of these names will be given to the chicks. we are really hoping to get a rooster because he had such great genes.
Me on March 22, 2020:
I'm getting chickens and I'm looking up names. Waddup my chicken friend squad. If you're new like me welcome!
Libby Custer on March 21, 2020:
I have 20 chickens and my favorite name is Beef
Hhh on February 12, 2020:
Chicken is good
Posie on December 29, 2019:
I have a lack chicken and I found the perfect name for her
darkmaccasyes on August 04, 2019:
if you're looking to purchase chickens, go to kfc or oporto.
kimberly on October 05, 2018:
i have had such a hard time naming my new chicken
Payton on June 04, 2018:
I named my favorite silky fluffy and I love her so much she is my very favorite chicken but there is another chicken that hates me and I haven't found any names for her yet
Chase on April 30, 2018:
Because you may chase you rooster
Grace on October 25, 2017:
I’ve been looking on many different website to name my 10 pet chickens and so far none of the more actually have any good chicken names but this website has some good names if you could add a quiz that would improve the website
Chook on September 21, 2017:
Forgot this. He also marches.
Chook on September 12, 2017:
I have a rooster called major chuckles because he chuckles at the end of each crow and he's boss chook.
me on August 15, 2017:
i love chickens
Mac Ross on August 11, 2017:
I love my pets
Chicken little on July 18, 2017:
I know about nine people who used this name after they watched the movie
Hope on July 13, 2017:
jo on June 17, 2017:
i have 4 browns chickens; her names are: cinnamon, cayenne, ginger and chili
animal lover 18 on June 03, 2017:
names i thought of: kluckin, puff, chicken alfredo, mrs.peeps, pecker, cute names: penelope, poppycock, chicka, ralph btw my youtube is: horse lover 1
Laney on June 03, 2017:
I am getting some today
ass on May 08, 2017:
chicken are yummy
Chickenzz :D on May 06, 2017:
Kayleigh on April 17, 2017:
I am getting chickens today!!
hi my name is hi on April 16, 2017:
hi my name is hello and my last name is hi
Olive on March 03, 2017:
i love chickens