Ellison is a professional horse trainer and riding instructor. She runs a summer camp program and offers kids a safe introduction to horses.
How to Choose the Best Summer Day Horse Camp for Your Child
As a person running a riding program, this is the time that we begin to plan for the summer camp season. The dates are being set and we are advertising for new and returning campers to sign up.
Keep in mind that I'm speaking along the lines of day camps, not overnight camps. I don't have any experience with that since we just do day camps at our facility.
Here are 20 questions to help you find the perfect program for your child!
Questions to Ask When Shopping for Summer Riding Camp
- What are the camp hours?
- What is the cost of the camp?
- Is early drop off, late pick up and option? If so, what is the additional cost?
- What experience level is required in order to attend?
- What experience level will most of the other camp participants?
- What age range does the camp cater to?
- What age are most of the camp participants?
- What is the maximum number of camp attendants?
- What is the camper to teacher ratio?
- How many times a day will they ride?
- Will they get riding lessons?
- Will they get to go on any trail rides?
- How many years have you been doing summer camp?
- Will farm chores be a part of the camp?
- Are there arts and crafts?
- What equipment is necessary to attend?
- Do they have equipment you can borrow, like helmets for example?
- What happens if it rains and there are no indoor facilities?
- Is any food or drink provided?
- Is there a discount for multiple week registrations?
Get the Information You Need to Chose the Right Camp
These are the questions that I get the most about my riding camps. I hear these questions over and over. If you are camp shopping and you get all these questions answered, you should have a pretty good idea of if it will be a good fit for your child.
Summer riding camp can make lifelong memories and teach many horsemanship lessons that may get passed over in weekly lessons. Set your child up for success, ask these questions, and find the perfect program! Summer is just around the corner.