A New Year: Fun Activities to Do With Your Horse
A List of Fun Activities to Try With Your Horse
- Try a new discipline.
- Ride as many different horses as possible.
- Learn to braid your horse's mane and tail.
- Learn a different way to braid your horse's mane and tail.
- Learn to take your horse's vital signs; document what is normal for him.
- Practice taking vital signs on your friend's horses.
- Perfect your leg wrapping technique.
- Build a people first aid kit.
- Build a horse first aid kit.
- Build two separate horse and people first aid kits for the trailer.
- Teach your horse a trick.
- Try clicker training.
- Plan a musical ride with a friend.
- Build a trail obstacle course and master it.
- Start a riding journal and record every ride.
- At the end of the year, count how many times you rode your horse.
- Have a horse treat making contest with your friends.
- Experiment and see if you can figure out what your horse's favorite color is.
- Experiment and see if you can figure out what your horse's favorite type of music is.
- Have a horsey costume contest.
- Organize a fun show with mounted games for the people at your farm.
- Plan a trail ride somewhere cool, get sponsors, and donate the money to a charity of your choice.
- Go to a high-level horse show or event.
- Go to the racetrack and place $2 bets all day.
- Have a horse painting contest in the summer.
- Find a place with a river and take your horse swimming.
- Organize a mounted scavenger hunt for you and your friends.
- Pick a day and have a birthday party for all the horses at the farm.
- Give someone who has never been close to a horse a positive first horse experience.
- Ride in a parade.
These are just a few ideas. There is so much out there that you can do with your horse. Serious things, fun things, silly things, educational things, the list goes on . . . . Why don't you pledge to do something new with your horse each month this year? Anything you'd like from serious to silly!
Remember, anytime spent with your horse is time well spent!