Horses Quotes: Wonderful and Inspirational
- Alice Walker – "Horses make a landscape look beautiful."
- Anne McCaffrey – "The horse, the noblest, bravest, proudest, most courageous and certainly the most perverse and infuriating animal that humans ever domesticated."
- Benjamin Disraeli – "A canter is a cure for every evil."
- Ben Johnson – "They say princes learn no art truly, but the art of horsemanship. The reason is, the brave beast is no flatterer. He will throw a prince as soon as his groom."
- Beryl Markham – "A lovely horse is always an experience... It is an emotional experience of the kind that is spoiled by words."
- C. W. Anderson – "Many people have sighed for the ‘good old days’ and regretted the ‘passing of the horse.’ But today, when only those who like horses own them, it is a far better time for horses."
- Chang Tzu – "Horses have hooves to carry them over frost and snow; hair to protect them from wind and cold. They eat grass and drink water, and fling up their heels... Such is the real nature of the horse."
- Clyde Kennedy (written on his epitaph)– "When they lay me down to rest, put my spurs and rope upon my chest. Get my friends to carry me and then go turn my horses free."
- D.H. Lawrence – "The horse, the horse! The symbol of surging potency and power of movement, of action."
- Fred Astaire – "In dealing with a girl or a horse, one lets nature take its course."
Quotes From Movies, Literature, Interviews, Etc.
- George Herbert – "Good horses make short miles."
- George Melville – "The horse has such a docile nature that he would always rather do right than wrong, if he can only be taught to distinguish one from the other."
- J.D. Salinger – "I’d rather have a goddam horse. A horse is at least human, for God’s sake."
- Jay Livingston and Ray Evans – "A horse is a horse, of course, of course."
- Jelaluddin Rumi – "Don’t be the rider who gallops all night and never sees the horse that is beneath him."
- Johannes Jensen – "The horse through all of its trials has persevered the sweetness of paradise in its blood."
- John Adams – "Old minds are like old horses; you must exercise them if you wish to keep them in working order."
- Jonathan Swift – "My horses understand me tolerably well, I converse with them at least four hours every day. They are strangers to the bridle and saddle; they live in great amity with me, and friendship to each other."
- Josephine Dermot Robinson – "Horses and children have a lot of the good sense there is in the world."
- Koran - "When God created the horse he said to the magnificent creature: I have made thee as no other. All the treasures of the earth lie between thy eyes. Thou shalt carry my friends upon thy back. Thy saddle shall be the seat of prayers to me. And thou fly without wings, and conquer without sword. Oh, horse."
- Lendon Gray – "It is the difficult horses that have the most to give you."
- Ludwig Wittgenstein – "I sit astride life like a bad rider on a horse. I only owe it to the horse’s good nature that I am not thrown off at this very moment."
- Loretta Grace – "Horse are predictably unpredictable."
- Mark Twain – "I can always tell which is the front end of the horse, but beyond that, my art is not above the ordinary."
- Mary Wanless – "Whether you regard the horse with awe or love, it is impossible to escape the sheer power of his presence."
- Monica Dickens – "No ride is ever the last. No horse is ever the last one you will have. Somehow there will always be other horses, other places to ride them."
- Monica Dickens – "Dog lovers hate to clean out kennels. Horse lovers like cleaning stables."
- Monica Dickens – "When I can’t ride anymore, I shall still keep horses as long as I can hobble about with a bucket and wheelbarrow. When I can’t hobble, I shall roll my wheelchair out to the fence of the field where my horses graze and watch them."
- Nicholas Evans – "They’re the most forgiving creatures God ever made."
- Oliver Wendell Holmes – "The horses paw and prance and neigh, fillies and colts like kittens play, and dance and toss their rippled manes, shining and soft as silken skeins."
- Pam Brown - "Be wary of the horse with a sense of humour."
- Phil West – "You don’t break these animals, you come to an understanding with them."
Memorable Quotes About Horses
- Plutarch – "A good man will take care of his horses and dogs, not only while they are young, but also when they are old and past service."
- Pluvinel – "We shall take great care not to annoy the horse and spoil his friendly charm, for it is like the scent of a blossom – once lost it will never return."
- Rabindranath Tagore – "Other animals ran only when they had a reason, but the horse would run for no reason whatever, as if to run out of his own skin."
- Rudyard Kipling – "Four things greater than all things are – Women and Horses and Power and War."
- Robert Browning – "Boot, saddle, to horse, and away!"
- Sherwood Anderson – "I go about looking at horses and cattle. They eat grass, make love, work when they have to, bear their young. I am sick with envy of them."
- Stephen Leacock – "It takes a good deal of physical courage to ride a horse. This, however, I have. I get it about forty cents a flask and take it as required."
- Stuart Cloete – "Horses have never hurt anyone yet, except when they bet on them."
- Veryl Goodnight – "To me, horses and freedom are synonymous."
- Victor Hugo – "I don’t mind what Congress does, as long as they don’t do it in the streets and frighten the horses."
- W. C. Fields – "Horse sense if the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."
- Walter Farley – "Yet when the books have been read, it boils down to the horse, his human companion, and what goes on between them."
- Walt Morey – "The sight of that horse did something to me I;ve never been able to explain. He was more than tremedous strength and speed and beauty of motion. He set me dreaming."
- Will Rogers – "A man that don’t love a horse, there is something the matter with him."
- Xenophon – "A horse is a thing of such beauty... none will tire of looking at him as long as he displays himself in his splendour."
- Arabian proverb - "The wind of heaven is that which blows between a horse’s ears."
- Arabian proverb – "The horse is god’s gift to man."
- Anonymous – "A horse in the wind, a perfect symphony."
- Anonymous – "That some people are happy to live their lives around horses is almost as baffling as the fact that horses are happy to live their lives around humans."
Angie105 on June 12, 2018:
5 years ago
Barbara Fitzgerald from Georgia on April 05, 2013:
Great hub -voted up! Thanks for sharing.
Shaddie from Washington state on April 14, 2012:
Nice collection here :)
Rickrideshorses (author) from England on December 23, 2011:
Thank you, glad you enjoyed it!
mason1966 from Louisville, ky on December 22, 2011:
Love this hub!
Beebuzby from Delaware on December 22, 2011:
I love this!