Viper, Rogue, Wolverine—there are plenty of great Marvel names for cats and dogs to choose from.
The Marvel Universe has captivated its audiences with awesome characters and plot lines for decades. Many superfans want to give their pets—be it dog, cat, or hamster—the name of a supervillain or superhero. Before picking just any old name, think first about your pet’s physical appearance and personality.
Popular Marvel Pet Names
- Stan Lee
- Killmonger: T'Challa’s cousin and a former American black-ops soldier who tries to dethrone T’Challa to become King of Wakanda. Perfect name for a guard dog, such as a Rottweiler, Pittbull, or Doberman.
- Shuri: The intelligent and creative Princess of Wakanda. Suitable for a strong and smart girl dog.
- Okoye: General of Wakanda’s armed forces and intel. She is strong-willed and doesn’t back down from anything.
- Nakia: Got a hound or hunting dog with a keen sense of smell? Name it after this spy who is a member of the War Dogs, an intelligence committee sent around the world to gather information.
- Black Panther: If you have a dominant cat who acts like the Queen or King of your house, then the obvious choice is to name it after the hero and King of Wakanda.
Guardians of the Galaxy
- Rocket: A fast-talking racoon with an acute sense of touch, smell, sight, and hearing.
- Groot: A tree monster with extraordinary durability. Nothing can kill him!
- Thanos: Extremely powerful, buff, and blue.
- Star Lord a.k.a. Peter Quill: Leader of the Guardians of the Galaxy. Great fighter with a big heart.
- Gamora: Awesomely elegant green monster with superhuman agility and strength.
- Drax: Really buff but sort of dim-witted.
- Nebula: Creepy blue monster. Gamora’s evil sister.
- Ronan: A sadistic villain. A great name for a dog who loves to bully others.
- Yondu: Whistles and has great aim!
- Kraglin: A raider or pirate of sorts. Awesome name.
The following names hardly need explanation. They are all great for any pet!
- Thor: Norse god of thunder, rarely seen without his trusty hammer. If your pet is similarly inseparable from his or her favorite toy, Thor is a great moniker.
- Loki: Mischievous and powerful, this antihero has a great name for a cunning pet.
- Captain America: He started as a scrawny New York kid and became the greatest leader of the Avengers. Especially fitting for the runt of a litter who will grow up to be the best of them all.
- Peg Carter: A hero without superpowers, and a good name for a pet who keeps up with its bigger and stronger friends.
- Falcon: Good name for a bird.
- Happy Hogan: Iron Man's chauffeur is as loyal as they come. Great name for a pet who is loyal through and through.
- Iron Man: Genius, problem-solver, playboy. If these words describe your pet, the name Iron Man might just describe it perfectly.
- Hulk: When he gets angry, Bruce Banner becomes the Hulk, an unstoppable force with a penchant for solitude. If you know your pet has a playful side but it prefers to stay alone, or it has anger issues, or its meows sound suspiciously like "SMASH," you may have a natural Hulk on your hands. Other ideas: Bruce Banner, Hulk's alter ego; Betty Ross, his lover; his kids, Hiro-Kala and Skaar.
- Black Widow: Silent, beautiful, perseverant, determined, and lethal. Great name for a pet you don't see except at mealtime.
- Deadpool: If your pet breaks a few rules, doesn't hurt anyone, and has a blast doing it, you may just have a Deadpool dog or cat on your hands.
- Quicksilver: Also known as Pietro Maximoff. A former villain who found his redemption, Quicksilver is known for his super speed. Reserve this name for your fastest pet, or for a turtle in need of a confidence booster.
- Peter Parker a.k.a. Spider-Man: A likely name for a cat, but there’s no reason a dog can’t be stealthy and scale walls.
- Flash Thompson: Has superhuman strength.
- Mary Jane: Lovely name for a pet with fiery red hair.
- May: Excellent name for a pet that will age gracefully.
- Ben: For a good dog that always does the right thing.
- Dogtor Octopus aka Dog Ock: An honorary title for your dog, taken straight from a classic Spider-Man character. Plus, the Halloween costume designs itself!
Read More From Pethelpful
- Wolverine: There’s no better name for a wolf-like dog, such as a Husky, a Malamute, a German Shepherd, or a Wolf Hybrid.
- Professor X: Leader of the X-Men, an excellent choice for the leader of your pet pack. In addition, this is perhaps the best possible name for a balding, handicapped pet.
- Magneto: This powerful mutant can make all things metal gravitate towards him. If your pet is a food magnet, the name is fitting.
- Mystique: A shapeshifter who can mimic anyone’s appearance.
- Cyclops: Shoots laser beams from his eyes. Perfect for a pet with a powerful stare.
- Sabretooth: Archenemy of Wolverine and great name for a cat.
- Storm: Controls the weather.
- Kitty Pryde: Lovely cat name for a feline with disappearing habits. Kitty Pryde can walk through walls.
- Rogue: This one’s perfect for that rebel pet.
- Juggernaut: Super buff. (Really. He’s ripped!)
- Logan: Wolverine’s other name.
- Beast: Ape-like and blue.
How to Pick a Marvel Name That’s Suitable for Your Pet
- Physical Appearance: Does your pet have a svelte figure or a large, muscular body? Consider Gamora or Black Panther for an elegant cat or Drax or Hulk for a big guard dog.
- Personality: Is your pet stealthy? Is he/she the leader of the pack? Consider these characteristics when picking a name. For example, a name like Rogue might be better for an independently spirited pet than a name like X-Men (someone who has great leadership skills).
- Your Own Preference: Don’t pick a name you’ll get tired of calling or a name that you aren’t crazy about. If none of these names seem like the perfect fit, then you may be better off giving your dog a traditional dog name.
Delilah on July 18, 2020:
I was actually Looking for Creative Names... But this Works Too I Guess. Thanks anyways :)
Nicole on October 02, 2019:
We have a hamster that always climes on his cage
Katpar on August 04, 2019:
Useful. Thanks for the ideas.