Sympathy Messages for the Loss of a Pet
Condolence Messages for the Loss of Pets
This past April our dog, Daisy, died. She was an 8-year-old mongrel, with a sweet personality and an annoyingly high-pitched bark. She loved swimming and would sooner swim across a lake rather than walk around it. Daisy was a farm dog and was treated as such. She slept outside and often would sneak over to the old woman who lives across the lake for a cuddle and a bone if she had one.
Although I didn't feel a need to be consoled when she died, the majority of people I know who have pets will need some kind words and acknowledgment of their loss. Her death got me thinking what I would say to people I know whose dogs and cats are more like family to them.
I am a designer on Zazzle where among other items, I create pet sympathy cards. I have put together some sympathy messages which can be used when pets die. These can be tailored as you see fit with the name of the animal and perhaps a few simple words of your own. Whether you chose to send a card, telephone or send them a text message, it can be difficult knowing what to say to ease their sadness.
For some people losing a pet, which has been part of the family for many years, is almost like losing a family member or a well-loved friend. The loss of that pet will leave a hole in their heart and the owner may experience real grief. This shouldn't be pushed aside as nonsense because the pain they feel is real. Although you may not share their passion for animals to the same extent, you'll want to ensure you don't say the wrong thing and jeopardize your friendship at this sensitive time.
Sympathy Messages for the Loss of Dogs or Cats
Here are a few messages which will work well on a pet sympathy card. Where possible add the pet's name for a personal touch. If you don't know the correct spelling, it is likely your friends has used it previously on Facebook or other social media channels. Also be sure to get the gender correct if the message includes this. A personal message is always well received and will be kindly remembered. Some are specific to a certain type of pet, some are of a religious nature, and some are more generic.
Let's get started with the condolence messages which you can use as they are or modify for your own situation.
- I am sorry for your loss. [Insert pet's name here] will be greatly missed.
- [Insert pet's name here] was such a wonderful [cat/dog/bird], he/she was lucky to have found a loving family such as yours.
- No truer word was said when they called a dog, man's best friend. [Insert dog's name] was a special dog. May the fond memories you have, ease the pain of grief at this difficult time.
- Our pets are like gifts from God, they come into our lives and bring such joy to our lives. We were sorry to hear of your loss and extend our sympathies to you and your family. Your [dog/cat] will be greatly missed by all who knew him/her.
- Losing a loyal and true friend isn't easy. Please know that I'm thinking of you, and if you need to talk or share memories, please call me.
- [Insert pet's name] left paw prints of love on everyone who knew him/her.
Cards for Loss of Pets
If you have a good card shop locally, you may be able to find a suitable pet sympathy card. Some of these may depict and animal which looks similar to the one which recently died. Another option could be a tranquil view of woods, a beach or clouds. If your friend used to take their dog for walks on the beach or in the woods, these would be appropriate. Many cards are left blank for you to write your own message. This is where these simple words of comfort will help you.
Alternatively, if you know the pet is ill, buy the card early. By doing this you can get a card on Zazzle which you can have printed with the animal's name and if you have it, a photo. This will be a lasting memento for your friend whose pet has died.
More Pet Condolences
- A devoted friend and beloved pet such as [insert animal's name] will always hold a special place in your heart. Gone but never forgotten.
- Although others may not understand your grief, I do. Losing a pet such as [pet's name] can leave a hole in your heart and a void in your life. Know that I am thinking of you and offer my condolences.
- [Insert pet's name] will always be by your side, watching over you. My sincere condolences.
- We can't imagine the grief you feel after losing [insert pet's name]. He/she was a lovely [cat/dog] and will be missed.
- You were a fantastic pet mom and I know your family will be feeling sad at this time. [Insert pet name] was a great [dog/cat] and his memory lives on.
- I was saddened to hear of the death of [insert animal's name]. No words of sympathy will ease your pain but I wanted you to know, I was thinking of you in your hour of darkness.
- [Insert pet's name] has been an integral part of your life. Don't be ashamed to feel sadness, he/she was a special friend.
- Sharing in your sorrow. [Insert pet's name] was a special [animal type] who will be missed by many.
Animal Sympathy Messages for Cards
- I hope the pain in your heart will be eased by the beautiful memories your have of [insert pet's name]. I'm was sorry to hear of your loss.
- Although [insert pet's name here] has passed, he will always be beside you in spirit, watching over you.
- [ Dog name] crossed the rainbow bridge. My condolences are with you and your family at this sad time.
- Our heartfelt prayers are with you as you come to terms with the loss of [insert pet's name].
- [insert dog's name here], a ray of sunshine has been taken away. I am thinking of you at this difficult time.
- The love of a pet will always be remembered.
- [insert dog's name] was a loyal and faithful friend.
- Loving thoughts are sent your way, so sorry for the loss.
- [Dog/cat's name] was such a fun loving and sweet [dog/cat]. His passing has shocked us and I'm sure devastated you. I have such fond memories of him, let's get together soon and catch up on things.
a big heart,
it was love from the start
Those we love are always close
Especially when we need them most
in our hearts, they'll always be
young, happy and running free
Although they're gone
In our memory, they'll live on.
Lord Byron's Dog Boatswain
If you think that the love of pets is something new, it isn't. I used to live in Nottinghamshire, England and at Newstead Abbey, which is located there, is an epitaph written by Lord Byron (1788-1824) for his dog Boatswain. His dog was a Newfoundland dog and the quote below can be seen on the dog's tomb. Newstead Abbey was the ancestral home of the poet Lord Byron.
"Near this Spot
are deposited the Remains of one
who possessed Beauty without Vanity,
Strength without Insolence,
Courage without Ferocity,
and all the virtues of Man without his Vices.
This praise, which would be unmeaning Flattery
if inscribed over human Ashes,
is but a just tribute to the Memory of
Boatswain, a Dog
who was born in Newfoundland May 1803
and died at Newstead Nov. 18th, 1808
When some proud Son of Man returns to Earth,
Unknown to Glory, but upheld by Birth,
The sculptor’s art exhausts the pomp of woe,
And storied urns record who rests below.
When all is done, upon the Tomb is seen,
Not what he was, but what he should have been.
But the poor Dog, in life the firmest friend,
The first to welcome, foremost to defend,
Whose honest heart is still his Master’s own,
Who labours, fights, lives, breathes for him alone,
Unhonoured falls, unnoticed all his worth,
Denied in heaven the Soul he held on earth –
While man, vain insect! hopes to be forgiven,
And claims himself a sole exclusive heaven.
Oh man! thou feeble tenant of an hour,
Debased by slavery, or corrupt by power –
Who knows thee well, must quit thee with disgust,
Degraded mass of animated dust!
Thy love is lust, thy friendship all a cheat,
Thy tongue hypocrisy, thy heart deceit!
By nature vile, ennobled but by name,
Each kindred brute might bid thee blush for shame.
Ye, who behold perchance this simple urn,
Pass on – it honours none you wish to mourn.
To mark a friend’s remains these stones arise;
I never knew but one -- and here he lies."
I hope this article has given you some ideas and guidance to ease the grief for your friend who has recently lost a pet. For some pet owners, it can be a devastating time. Others may choose to get another pet to ease the pain.
Whatever your friend decides to do, try and be supportive of their choices. Everyone handles grief differently.
If you have other sympathy messages you have used or received comfort from, please post them in the comment section for others to see.
Thanks for reading.
What Would You Do?
Do you know someone who would benefit from receiving a sympathy card when their pet dies?
© 2017 Mary Wickison