Best Hamster Names
Back when I was a kid, I had the two most adorable hamsters anyone could ever wish for: a dwarf Campbell's Russian hamster named Honey and his friend, an albino golden hamster I called Bunny. (What can I say, I liked to rhyme!) Although Honey and Bunny are long gone now, I will always have a warm Habitrail in my heart for them.
More recently, my children's friends have started to get hamsters. One came to me asking for suggestions for good hamster names, and so this list was born. I have organized it by type, but of course you're free to choose any name that fits your hamster's appearance and personality.
Names for Syrian Hamsters
Syrian hamsters are often called golden hamsters for their beautiful golden coats. Long-haired Syrian hamsters also called teddy bear hamsters for their fluffy coats. Use these attributes to choose the perfect name for your hamster.
- Pay tribute to the hamsters' Syrian heritage with a name that means golden in Arabic, such as Zohaib (male) or Nudar (female).
- Call your long-haired hamster Teddy, Theodore, or Big Ted.
- These hamsters have very large cheek pouches for storing food. Pouchy, Chubby Cheeks, and Fluffy Face all fit well.
- Hamsters generally are quite active, running on their squeaky wheels and scampering through their mazes. Why not name your hamster after his activity level or behavior: Fidget, Quiver, Wriggly, Squirmy, or Twitch
Names for Dwarf Winter White Russian Hamsters
Dwarf Winter White Russian hamsters become a striking bright white in winter, except for a silvery gray streak down their back. (In the summer, their fur is primarily gray.)
Their winter coloration resembles the opposite of a skunk, so Skunky or Pepé Le Pew would be a cute name. Stripe, for their pronounced dorsal stripe, is also appropriate.
Although their summer coloration is dark, it's the winter white coloration that is so striking. Cottonball, Sugar, Cloudy, or Pearl would all be good names for your winter white hamster.
Names for Dwarf Campbell's Russian Hamsters
Dwarf Campbell's Russian hamsters come in many different colors, but grayish brown or cinnamon with a stripe along its back are the most common colors.
For a gray or black hamster, try Dusky, Shadow, or Asphalt.
A brownish cinnamon color could lead you to a name like Autumn or Woody. Or, with their brown coats and dorsal stripe, dwarf Campbell's Russian hamsters bear a passing resemblance to chipmunks. Name your hamsters after your favorite cartoon chipmunks, whether they're Chip and Dale or Alvin, Simon, and Theodore.
Names for Chinese Hamsters
Chinese hamsters tend to be longer and thinner than their counterparts.
- Names like Twiggy or Stringbean emphasize the length and thinness of this type of hamster.
Chinese hamsters can also look rather mouselike, with their brownish-gray coloration, so you can name your hamster after famous mice.
- Mighty Mouse
- The Brain (from the cartoon Pinky and the Brain, although this would work best for an albino hamster)
- Jerry (of Tom and Jerry fame)
Names for a Large Group of Hamsters
If you have a bunch of littermates to name, wait until they are two or three weeks old, so that you can see what they'll look like before you name them. Some may look quite similar to each other, and in that case rhyming names are fun, or names that all start with the same letter.
- Harry, Carrie, Larry, Barry, Shari, and Gary
- Morris, Boris, Horace, Floris, and Dolores
- Rina, Bina, Gina, Tina, Trina, and Serena (for all females)
- Joey, Johnny, Jackie, Jamie, Jeffrey, and Jay (for all males)
If you have several hamsters of different types, you may want names that are associated with each other, but not too similar. Try naming them after natural groups, such as:
- Colors: Brownie, Blackie, Whitey, Red, Caramel, and so on, according to the color of their fur and/or eyes.
- Spices and seasonings: Salt, Pepper, Garlic, Cinnamon, Nutmeg, Allspice, etc., again according to their color.
- Days of the week or months of the year, according to when you acquired them.
More by this Author
Need help deciding on a fitting name for a black dog? Look no further! Here are dozens of names arranged by category, including physical characteristics, gender-specific names, and names derived from popular culture.