A big animal lover, I love to write about animals of all sizes.
Great Elephant Names
Check out this fantastic list of 70 great names for elephants, including their meanings! Naming an elephant is incredibly important because, like us, they develop their own unique personalities as they grow.
So when naming an elephant, it's meaningful to pick a name that you feel suits their personality and spirit perfectly.
Let's get to it here are some suggestions for you to draw on for some inspiration.
1. Abigail: "Father's joy"
2. Achilles: "He who undermines the strength of an army." In Greek mythology, Achilles was a hero of the Trojan War.
3. Adira: "Strong, mighty"
4. Agatha: "Good"
5. Aiko: "Child with love." Japanese name.
6. Alala: "War cry." Greek myth name.
7. Alaska: "Great land"
8. Amarula: "A deciduous tree native to Africa."
9. Anastasia: "Resurrection"
10. Andromeda: "Ruler of man." In Greek mythology, Andromeda was an Ethiopian princess.
11. Angel: "Messenger from God"
12. Anita: "Gracious, beautiful"
13. Asha: "Life." Sanskrit name.
14. Aurora: "Goddess of the dawn." In Roman mythology, Aurora was the goddess of the dawn.
15. Azalea: "Dry land"
16. Baindu: "Woman born on Thursday." West African name.
17. Bambi: A young deer in Disney's 1942 animated film by the same name.
18. Bansuri: "Flute." Indian name.
19. Beethoven: "Woodland meadow." The German composer Ludwig van Beethoven is one of the most famous classical music composers in history.
20. Belle: "Beautiful"
21. Bianca: "White"
22. Bindu: "Drop, point." Indian name.
23. Blitzen: "Lightning." In Germanic mythology, Blitzen was one of Santa's reindeer.
24. Bluebell: "Wildflower with blue bell-shaped flowers."
25. Blossom: "To flower, bloom"
26. Boots: "One who wears boots; a freebooter." A boot is a type of footwear.
27. Briar: "Thorny bush"
28. Bubble: "A small droplet of water."
29. Buttercup: "Wildflower with yellow cup-shaped flowers."
30. Buzz: "To make a buzzing sound."
31. Cairo: "Victorious city." The name of the capital city of Egypt.
32. Candy: "Sweet food made from sugar or chocolate."
33. Carmel: "Garden, orchard." Hebrew name.
34. Champagne: "Plains, level country." The name of a sparkling wine region in France.
35. Charlotte: "Petite and feminine." French form of the name Charles.
36. Chennai: "Port city." The name of a city in India.
37. Cleopatra: "Famous for her beauty." In Greek mythology, Cleopatra was the last pharaoh of Egypt.
38. Clover: "A plant with three-lobed leaves."
39. Coconut: "A type of palm tree." The coconut is the fruit of the coconut palm tree.
40. Daffodil: "Wildflower with yellow trumpet-shaped flowers."
41. Daisy: "Wildflower with white or yellow flowers."
42. Delhi: "From the dells; from the hills." The name of the capital city of India.
43. Destiny: "Fate, fortune"
44. Diamond: "Hard, precious gem"
45. Diva: "Goddess, divine one." Italian name.
46. Dolphin: "A marine mammal related to whales." The dolphin is a intelligent and friendly creature of the sea.
47. Dragon: "Mythical creature with reptilian features." In many cultures, the dragon is a symbol of power and strength.
48. Dusty: "Covered in dust."
49. Eclipse: "The moment when the sun is obscured by the moon." An eclipse is a rare astronomical event.
50. Eden: "Garden of paradise." In the Bible, Eden was the garden where Adam and Eve lived before they were expelled from the Garden of Eden.
51. Ellie: "Light." Greek name.
52. Elsa: "Noble." German form of the name Elizabeth.
53. Emma: "Universal"
54. India: "Country in southern Asia." The name of a country in southern Asia.
55. Indigo: "A deep blue color." The indigo is a plant whose leaves can be used to make a blue dye.
56. Jasmine: "Fragrant flower"
57. Juliet: "Youthful, beautiful." Shakespeare used this name in his play Romeo and Juliet for the female lead character who falls in love with Romeo.
58. Kalahari: "The great thirst." The Kalahari is a desert in southern Africa.
59. Karma: "Destiny, fate." In Hinduism and Buddhism, karma is the sum of a person's actions in this and previous states of existence, often seen as determining their future circumstances.
60. Kenya: "Country in East Africa." The name of a country in East Africa.
61. Laila: "Nightfall." Arabic name.
62. Lily: "A type of flower." The lily is a beautiful flower that comes in many colors.
63. Lotus: "A type of water lily." The lotus is a sacred flower in Hinduism and Buddhism.
64. Luna: "Moon." In Roman mythology, Luna was the goddess of the moon.
65. Mali: The name of a country in West Africa.
66. Mara: "Bitter." Hebrew name.
67. Maya: "Illusion." In Hinduism and Buddhism, Maya is the principle of illusion.
68. Miracle: "A divine act." A miracle is an event that defies explanation by natural or scientific laws.
69. Misty: "Covered in mist."
70. Moon: The moon is a celestial body, a natural satellite of the Earth.
How to Choose a Great Name for an Elephant
When it comes to naming an elephant, the sky is the limit. There are so many creative and fun names to choose from! However, there are a few things you should keep in mind when choosing a name for your elephant. Here are a few tips:
1. Avoid common names. You want your elephant's name to be unique, so avoid names that are too common.
2. Consider the meaning of the name. What does the name mean? Does it have a positive or negative connotation? You want to choose a name that has a positive meaning since elephants are such positive animals.
3. Keep it simple. Elephant names can be long and complicated, but sometimes simpler is better. Choose a name that is easy to say and remember.
4. Have fun! Naming an elephant is a fun task, so make sure to have fun with it!
How Do You Know If You've Got The Right Name?
There's no one right answer when it comes to choosing the perfect name for your elephant. However, you'll know you've got the right name if it feels right. The name should be something that you and your elephant are both comfortable with. Trust your gut and go with the name that you feel is the best fit.
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and is not meant to substitute for formal and individualized advice from a qualified professional.
© 2022 Ritchie Hughie